- Bernhard Antoni's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
|Bernhard Antoni lived in Louisiana|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Louisiana Families Project!
History of the Anton Family
The origin of the ANTON family was found in the Lutheran church registers of Schweigern in Baden. Beginning in 1626, the surname, ANTONY, was first mention in Schweigern. The earliest ANTONY couple mentioned in Schweigern was Jerg ANTONY and Barbara (last name unknown). Jerg ANTONY died on August 6, 1664 and his wife Barbara, died on October 1, 1626, which was only a few days after the death of their daughter, Amalia ANTONY. Apparently, this couple also had a son name Jerg ANTONY, who married about 1643 to Anna (last name unknown). The couple had eight children listed below. Of the eight children, the father of the Louisiana immigrant was Joannes Antony, who married twice. The first marriage to Catharina (no last name) occurred around 1681. There were four children born to the marriage (see below). After the death of Catharina on September 4, 1687, at the age of 38 years, Johannes ANTONY remarried on February 11, 1688 to Barbara (no last name). This second marriage resulted in the birth of seven children.
Bernhard Antoni, son of Johannis Antoni and Barbara (unknown) [Her father's name was Friederich Schmied], was born 1681 - 1806 and christened 20 Jan 1695 at Evangelisch, Schweigern, Mosbach, Baden.
- (1)The immigrant to Louisiana in 1721, Bernhard ANTONI, the third child of Johannes ANTONI and Barbara, married at Boxberg, on October 27, 1716, to Maria Agatha SCHMIED, daughter of Friedrich SCHMIED of Boxberg. The Lutheran registers of Schweigern and Boxberg did not contain the baptism of any children who were born of the marriage of Bernhard ANTONI and Maria Agatha SCHMIED. 
- (2) Bernhard ANTONI married second about 1722 to Catherine BERTHELERE in the German Coast, Louisiana Territory. 
- (3) After the death of Catharine on 10 Nov 1748, Bernhard Andoni remarried a third time to Catherine Keime, widow of Jean Adam Edelmaire.
- ↑ #AJROGC p. 90.
- ↑ :"Deutschland, Geburten und Taufen 1558-1898," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V41Y-3PB : accessed 17 December 2014), Bernhard Antoni, 20 Jan 1695; citing ; FHL microfilm 1,238,317.
- ↑ Source: #AJROGC pp. 89-91.
- ↑ Source: #AJROGC pp. 91.
- ↑ Title: Archdiocese of New Orleans Sacramental Records; Reverend Monsignor Earl C. Woods, editor, New Orleans, 1987; Volume 1, 1718-1750; Personal Copy; p. 3 & 139
- Text: ANDONI, Bernhard, widower of Catherine BETHELERE, m. 17 Feb. 1749, Catherine KEIME, widow of Jean Adam EDELMAIRE. Wit: Daniell BOFF; Mathis COLMAR; BAUMONT; FALGOUST; Ambroise HEIDELL; Johannes ETTLER (SCB, B1, 54)
- Source: AJRO Title: German Coast Families, European Origins and Settlement in Colonial Louisiana Author: Albert J. Robichaux, Jr. Publication: Hebert Publications 1997 Library of Congress Catalog Card # 96-78542; Personal Copy.
Additional Information from Robichaux
Children of Jerg Antony and Anna (last name unknown)
- Jorg ANTONY, was born about 1643 and married August 22, 1665 at Oberschupf to Anastasia ULRICH, the daughter of David ULRICH of Oberschupf.
- Johannes ANTONY was baptized on February 25, 1651. His witnesses were Hans KOTEL and (no mention of godmother).
- Appolonia ANTONY was born on September 20, 1653 and baptized on September 24, 1653. The witnesses were Michel APEL and (no mention of godmother).
- Barbara ANTONY was born on March 8, 1655 and baptized on March 11, 1655. The witnesses were (no mention of godfather and BarbaraSTOPFF, daughter of Veit STOPFF.
- The name was spelled ANTONY or ANTONI in the Lutheran Church registers of Schweigern; however the name appeared as ANTON or BERNARD in Louisiana; Schweigern, Baden Germany (Lutheran Church, FHL Microfilm # 1238266, non-paginated).
- Michel ANTONY was born on August 24, 1657 and baptized on August 28, 1657 The witnesses were Michel WINGERT and (no mention of a godmother).
- Heinrich ANTONY was born and baptized on September 20, 1660. The witnesses were Heinrich STOPF, son of Veit STOPF. Heinrich ANTONY was buried on February 14, 1684.
- Knabe ANTONY was born on February 21, 1662 and died on the same day.
- Catharina ANTONY was born about 1650 and married on February 27, 1671 to Andreas WORNER, son of George WORNER, of Boxberg. * Schweigern, Baden Germany (Lutheran Ch., FHL Microfilm No. 1238266, non-paginated.)
Of the above-children, the ancestor of the ANTON family of Louisiana was Joannes ANTONY, who married twice. The first marriage to Catharina (no last name) occurred around 1681. There were four children born from the first marriage:
- Heinrich ANTONI c: 1 Feb 1682 in Lutheran Ch., Schweigen, Baden, Germany
- Anna Barbara ANTONI c: 1 Jul 1683 in Lutheran Ch., Schweigen, Baden, Germany
- Marie Catharina ANTONI c: 10 May 1685 in Lutheran Ch., Schweigen, Baden, Germany
- Anna Maria ANTONI c: 13 Aug 1687 in Lutheran Ch., Schweigen, Baden, Germany
Children born of the second marriage to Barbara Antoni:
- Heinrich ANTONY was baptized on February 1, 1682 and died on February 14, 1682. Schweigern, Baden Germany (Lutheran Ch., FHL Microfilm No. 1238317, non-paginated.
- Hans Bastian ANTONY was baptized on January 13, 1692. The witnesses were Hans Bastian STOPFF and (no mention of a godmother)
- Bernhard ANTONY was baptized on January 20, 1695.
- Maria Barbara ANTONI was baptized November 12, 1697. Maria married on August 1, 1719 to Hans Georg GUNDALLER, son of Antoni GUNDALLER.
- Hans Adam ANTONI was baptized on March 25, 1701** Schweigern, Baden Germany (Lutheran Ch., FHL Microfilm No. 1238316, non-paginated). The witnesses were Hans Adam FOHLWAYR, son of Adam FOHLWAYR.
- Hans Conrad ANTONI was baptized on April 12, 1704. The witnesses were Conrad GRANDANIS and (no mention of a godmother.)
- Agnes ANTONI was baptized on April 7, 1707.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Bernhard by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Bernhard:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Bernhard is 23 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 25 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 34 degrees from Michael Phelps, 29 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 21 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.