- Thomas ap Gwilym's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Cymru 742-1535.
Thomas ap Gwilym was the son of Gwilym ap Jenkin ab Adam. He was "of, Perth-hir, Rockfield, Llangatwg Feibion Afel, Monmouthshire, Wales."
First, Thomas married Mawd Morley. She was the daughter of Sir John Morley, Lord of Raglan. She was "of, Llansanffraid, Llan-arth Fawr, Monmouthshire, Wales," where she is buried.
Second, he married a daughter of Watkin of Llanddewi Rhydderich ap Henry. Her name is not known. She was "of, Llanddewi Rhydderch, Llanofer Fawr, Monmouthshire, Wales."
He had 11 legitimate children:
- Sir William Thomas of Raglan was the son of Mawd.
- a daughter, who married Thomas ap Llywelyn Gunter, was the daughter of wife two.
Boyer does not assign these children to a mother, but the FamilySearch Welsh database assigns them all to Mawd:
- Philip of Llansanffraid
- Robert, rector of Llanfihangel Cwm Du and Llanwenarth
- Mawd, (possibly m. Gwilym of Tyle-glas ap Philip)
- Hywel Fychan
- Margred, m. William Wroth
- Tudful, m. Gwilym ap Hywel Hen
- Hywel y Bwlch
- Ieuan, m. Margred ferch Gwilym ap Jenkin Grant was an illegitimate son by an unknown mistress.
Lord of Perthyre Thomas ap William (1356-1438), Lord of Perthyre & Llansaintfraed manors, Gwent
He died in 1438. He is buried at Llansanffraid, Llan-arth Fawr, Monmouthshire, Wales Burial: Priory Church, Abergavenny, Monmouth, Eng.
- Carl Boyer, 3rd. Medieval Welsh Ancestors of Certain Americans. Santa Clarita, CA: n.p., 2004. [ ] , Page 167
- The Bartrum Project (digitization of "Welsh Genealogies AD 300- 1500" by Peter C. Bartrum)
- Wikipedia: William ap Thomas (his son, aka Sir William Herbert)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- Gwyllym or Gwilym? Aug 8, 2015.
No known carriers of Thomas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Richard Ragland, Dallas Riedesel, and James Turner. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On August 8, 2015 at 20:26GMT Liz Shifflett wrote:
Ap Gwyllym-1 and Ap Gwilym-16 appear to represent the same person because: These profiles are for the same person. Please merge. Thanks!
On April 14, 2015 at 20:35GMT RJ Horace wrote: