- John\Jay DeWitt Ashley's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person was created through the import of Pioneer Stock.GED on 31 October 2010. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
- Title: Dr.
- Note: @NI01664@
- @NI01664@ NOTE1920 census, Howell Co., MO., West Plains Twp.
- 1930 census, Howell Co., MO., Howell Twp., West Plains City.
- THE FOLLOWING APPEARED IN THE PUBLICATION "STREAMS PF HISTORY" DATEDSUMMER OF 1994, (submitted by Linda Trusty):
- HOW THE ASHLEY FAMILY CAME TO ARKANSAS
- by Dr. J.D. Ashley
- "Younger members of my family, unfamiliar with our family history,have asked me to write what I have learned about the Ashley family. Muchof my information comes from my older half brother, John Fallon Ashley,but some comes from other sources.
- The Ashley family is mentioned in teh Doomsday Book, that 12thcentury English census. There is listed "John of the Ashwoods by theLea". The Lea is a small river in southern England. This descriptivetitle was later changed to "Ashlea" and finally to "Ashley". A fewcenturies after this early mention, on of the family who had apparantlybecome a large land owner was given the title of Earl of Salisbury by theking. At that time, large landowners were given titles and became partof the legislature of England.
- Under the English rule of primogeniture, the land was inherited bythe ledest son, and so was the title.
- In the 17th century, the Earl of Salisbury was an ardent supporterof King Charles I. Before Oliver Cromwell chopped off the king's headand took over the government of England with the aid of the army andparliament, King Charles, in recognition of Salisbury's support andloyalty, gave Bert Ashley, the Earl of Salisbury, a grant of land in theNew World which was a mile wide and the length of the colony of SouthCarolina. In 1667, South Carolina stretched from the Atlantic Ocean tothe Mississippi River. It was a generous grant, but not withoutproblems. It had never been explored. The location of the grant was notwell known, but as the revolution in England went on the sons of the Earlhad to get out of the country in a hurry.
- Bert Ahsley's seven sons left England to search for and locate theirSouth Carolina land. Despite a shipwereck that left them stranded inBermuda for six months, they eventually landed at an unnamed harbor intowhich two rivers flowed. The family name at that time was hyphenated,"Ashley-Cooper". The young landowners divided their name between the tworivers, naming one "Ashley River" and the other the "Cooper River". Thetown that grew at the harbor they named "Charlestown" in honor of theirbenefactor, Charles I. The state name, "Carolina" is also derived fromCharles I... (a copy of the complete article is available upon request).
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of John\Jay DeWitt's ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John\Jay DeWitt is 23 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 35 degrees from Gene Kelly, 21 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 23 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.