- John Atwell's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person was created through the import of Shortened files.ged on 30 December 2010. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
- Date: 1742
- Place: [Anne Arundel Co] MD
- Source: #S488
- Date: 16 MAR 1827
- Place: Rowan Co NC
- Source: #S488
- Reference: 0176
- Note: @N3682@
- @N3682@ NOTE
- 1820 probably Rowan Co NC, p 264, with Lock Atwell: 320011/10020
- 1810 Caswell Co NC, p 461, John Atwell Sr: 00001/00101
- 1800 not located
- 1790 Anne Arundel Co MD, John Atwell, 121
- 1776 Census, St James Parish, Anne Arundel Co MD: 1 woman, 2 boys, 2 girls; a second John had 1 woman, 2 boys, 1 girl.
- 1778, Anne Arundel County Fidelity Oath, p 22
- 1783 assessment, res Herring Creek Hundred.
- I think his family was the related to the Benjamin Atwell of the 1776 MD census.
- Lois Kimmons: "I haven't been able to find primary evidence on the parents of John Atwell, Sr. In one of the genealogies he is listed as the son of John, son of Francis of Westmoreland Co VA. Also, John Atwell's wife was said to be Elizabeth Lockett. No actual proof that I have found. John Atwell Sr of Prince Edward Co VA, was not the same John who was in Caswell Co NC by 1800. There were deeds dated 1799, 1808, 1809 and 1811, there. His known children were John, Lock, Richard, Elizabeth, Mary and probably others."
- This John Sr was listed near John Jr and Lock Atwell in 1810 in Caswell Co, NC. He was not in NC in 1800, so probably came from MD.
- See correspondence with various researchers for data on his supposed children.
- In Caswell County, NC, between 1784 and 1810 there were the following Atwells listed on deeds: William, Pearce, John Sen, John Jun, Thomas, Lock and Richard. What was their relationship?
- Mary W Atwell Bastin was Lock Atwell's sister. John Atwell of Persons Co was supposed to be a cousin of Lock's per the North Carolina group, who also said that John Atwell Sr was his uncle.
- John & Richard Atwell of Barren & Green Co KY were brothers. At the time Martha Rice burned to death 25 Dec. 1819 in Caswell Co NC, John Atwell of KY was married to his 3rd wife Sarah Risen (b. 1798/1801). After John died ca 1837, she married Moses Forbis, in 1843. She was the mother, as well as, the mother-in-law to her sons John (b 1818/9) & Joel (b 1820).
- We have DNA numbers for our Atwells. If you know an Atwell male in the VA group of the 1700's we would be happy to see if we all are of the same Atwell clan. We could all be of the Westmoreland Co VA group, but we were 100 years away from you [by] 1800!
- From Lois Kimmons at Genforum:
- All of this information is from Deed Books in Caswell County, NC
- 28 Oct 1784, ---Atwell witnessed a deed for James Miller, land on Hogan's Creek
- 18 Aug 1787, William Atwell had grant from NC for 220 acres on Hogan's Creek
- 17 Mar 1798, Pearce Aswell (Atwell) bought 100 acres on Country Line Creek
- 17 Dec 1799, John Aswell (Atwell) witnessed deed
- 11 July 1803, Thomas Atwell bought 10 1/2 acres on Dobbins Creek of Hogan's Creek, adjacent Atwell's land
- 16 Mar 1803, John Atwell bought 100 acres on Hogan's Creek
- 4 Jan 1804, John Atwell's land was adjacent land bought by John Brown on Dobbins Creek of Hogan's Creek
- 9 Apr 1804, Richard Atwell witnessed deed for Asa Teneson on Hogan's Creek at Dobbins Creek
- 6 Aug 1804, John Atwell bought 120 acres on Hogan's Creek
- 2 Sept 1805 John Atwell bought 78 acres on Hogan's Creek
- 17 Nov 1807 Richard Atwell witnessed deed for land on Hogan's Creek
- 10 Dec 1807, Richard Atwell sold 106 acres on Dobbins Creek
- 13 July 1808, John Atwell, Sen to John Atwell, Jun, 80.4 acres on Hogan's Creek by Dobbins Creek
- Aug 1808, John Atwell, Jun, agrees to give his father peaceful possession of said land for his life (deed from Caswell County Deed Book P, pp. 252-3 between John Atwell, Senr and John Atwell Junr of Caswell County, NC, dated "this thirteenth day of July in the year of our Lord one Thousand eight hundred and eight. Which has the following after the signature of John Atwell and the witnesses to the will: "I do hereby these presents bargain and assign and oblige myself to let my Father John Atwell have peaceable and quiet possession of the lands within mentioned and deeded to me during his natural life . . .hereto set my hand and seal this 7 day of August 1808. (signed) John Atwell Jun)
- 18 Mar 1809, John Atwell Sr to Richard Atwell, 100 acres on Hogan's Creek. Richard Atwell agrees his father John Atwell to have peaceful possession of said land for life (Caswell County Deed Book P, p. 308 between John Atwell and Richard Atwell, dated "This eighteenth day of March in the year of our Lord one Thousand eight hundred and nine."
- It also ends as the above deed: "I do hereby certify that I Richard Atwell have agreed that my Father John Atwell is to have quiet and peaseable posession during his natural life. . ." (signed) Richard Atwell)
- 16 June 1808, John Atwell and wife Elizabeth Atwell, sell 10 acres on Hogan's Creek
- 7 Jan 1811, John Atwell of Caswell County to Elizabeth Atwell, 7 acres on Hogan's Creek
- 8 Jan 1811, Lock Atwell sold 123 acres on Hogan's Creek
- 11 Jan 1811, John Atwell, jr. and John Atwell Sen of Caswell County, sold 100 acres on Dobbins Creek of Hogan's Creek (A third Caswell County, NC deed from Deed Book Q, p. 323, dated Jan 11, 1811 when John Atwell Senr and John Atwell Junr sell land they jointly owned)
- 14 Oct 1812, Nicholas Willis bought 104 acres on Dobbins Creek of Hogan's Creek adjacent Atwell
- The 1778 list of Atwell males 18 years or older in Anne Arundel Co MD was:
- Benjamin Atwell - Daniel Atwell - John Atwell - Joseph Atwell - Robert Atwell - Samuel Atwell per the St. James Parish records 1770-1799.
- Benjamin m. 6 Feb. 1776 - Priscilla Crutchly
- Benjamin m. 16 Jan. 1781 - Sarah Kidd
- Benjamin m. 1799 - Elizageth Randle
- Daniel m. 1771 - Mary Jones
- James m. 16 Sept. 1799 - Elizabeth Owens
- Joseph m. 24 Jan. 1775 - Rachel Phipps
- Robert m. 25 Jan. 1774 - Mary Huges
- Samuel m. 1772 - Elizabeth ????
- William m. 31 July 1770 - Sarah Randall
- 15 Nov. 1781 - William Atwell, John Atwell, Joseph Atwell were on list to pay the Vestry of St. James Parish before 1 Jan. 1783.
- Daniel Atwill & his wife Mary attend church Easter Sunday 1790
- Margaret Atwell m. 1771 - George Gardner
- Margaret Atwell m. 10 Jan. 1782 - John Barker
- Mary Atwell m. 19 Nov. 1731 - William Clark
- Mary Atwell m. 27 Feb. 1770 - John Savy?
- A descendant of Richard Atwell (b 1813 KY) and Martha Baston [sic] writes "I will not tell you 100% that John Atwell of MD & Caswll, NC did not have two sons named John- because John was their favorite name. My grandfather was John Harrison Atwell (1888 Fulton Co AR -1965 Butler Co MO). He had an older brother named Johnta Robert Atwell (187? Miller Co MO -193? Ripley Co MO). Johnta was named in honor of John T Atwell (181? KY - 1880 Miller Co MO). John T was the oldest of the Atwell males in Miller Co MO - he was held in high esteem by the descendants of his cousin Richard Atwell & Martha Baston."
- RootsWeb.com Isearch-cgi 1.20.06 (File: rhnunn.txt)
- Letters: R.H. Nunn to George Clark, about Metcalfe Co. Ky. people
- Typed by Lillie Rackley , P. O. Box 7, Commerce, Tx. 75429-0007.
- (NOTE: This letter is written with Hiseville Deposit Bank letterhead.
- The part not cut off of my copy reads: "_____ Edwards, President; E. B. Hatchett, Vice- President; J. T. Goff, Vice-President; R. H. Nunn, Cashier; Edna Goff Nunn, Assistant-Cashier)
- Hiseville, Ky. April 18 - 1934
- M. G. W. Clark,
- Liletown, Ky.
- Dear Cousin George,
- I have your letter of the 16th Aust. And was indeed glad to hear from you and to know that you all are well. We are both well except we have had bad colds. We are getting along nicely here in the bank Our bank and the Davis State(?) Bank of Cave City are the only banks in Barren
- County that have operated unrestricted (underlined) thru the depression. Six others in the County three of which failed. The other three were restricted to 5 % and have had a hard pull.
- I quote the following part of your letter to me of date Feb 15, 1904 relative to the genealogy of our family in our mother's side of the house as follows:
- "Our Great Grandmother Carver's maiden name was Fletcher, who had three sons, viz: Benjamin Fletcher (our Grand Father Carver), "Levi" and "Buck", and two daughters, viz: Vinny" and Lucindy. "Viny" married a Southland and Lucindy a Greenwood. It was said that Lucindy raised nineteen children.
- Our Great-Great-Grandmother Bastin's (who was our Great Grandfather Thomas Bastin's mother) maiden name was Brockman - a sister to Rev. John Brockman's father. Our Great Grandmother Bastin Nunn was Nancy (someone has written in Mary) Atwell (who had three brothers, viz: "Lock". "Jack" and Richard. Great Grandfather Thomas Bastin had one brother, John, and one sister "Genefy" (Jenefy?) who married a Newell in Pulasky Co KY. Our Great Grand Father Bastin had three son's, viz: John, Major and Thomas and four daughters, viz: "Nancy" whose name was _______ (Ann Wayson), Hannah, Peggy and Patsy. Hannah married your uncle William Nunn, Peggy to John Johnson, and Patsy to Richard Atwell, her own cousin. "Nancy" who was our Grandmother Carver married our Grand Father, Benjamin Fletcher
- Carver. All of which marriages took place in N. C. except Patsy Bastin to Richard Atwell in Ky.
- Rev. John Brockman married Mariah Watson who had one brother named "Mat" This is all that I can give you of Rev. John Brockman except that he had but two children, both of which were girls. One died single. The other married Will Wisdom, a (half brother to Elijah Wisdom) I think they had one child. Dr. Scott killed Will Wisdom and his Widow Tiny (late Brockman) moved to Flatrock Metcalfe Co Ky. and I have not seen her since. All of our ancestors came from N. C. in the year - 1830 landed in Ky. Dec -'24 - in a caravan of thirteen families, but they had but one-one horse wagon in the crew."
- Am glad to give this to you and hope you all will come to see us some time. I hope to drive up there to see you some time soon. Hope this will find you all well.
- Sincerely your cousin,
- R H Nunn
- The John Atwell in Sampson Co NC 1790 census was a different man, who moved to Richmond Co GA and died there ca 1815.
- Source: #S159
- @S159@ SOUR
- Text: Berry's birth date is given on his gravestone and in his wife's Bible as 12 Mar 1842; 1900 census gives Mar 1842, while 1850 gives 7 years, 1870 gives 28, and 1880 gives 37. According to his pension papers, in 1916 and 1921 he signed affidavits that he was born 12 Mar 1841. His obituary gives the birthdate of 3 Mar 1841.
- User ID: 66815F359058448DAAB516410B91654833F4
- Data Changed:
- Date: 9 MAR 2010
Prior to import, this record was last changed 9 MAR 2010.
- Source S488
- Text: Letter from Don Atwell (1031 Ashley Circle, Dothan AL 36301) to Kathy Patterson, 28 Jul 1987. Atwell File. This letter included death notice of John Atwell Sr, from "Marriage and Death Notices from the Western Carolinian," Salisbury NC, 1820-1842: John Atwell, age 85, died 16 Mar 1827 in Rowan Co NC. Don later sent me pages of census and marriage record data, including "Caswell Co NC Marriage Records."
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with John:
- Katherine (Alvis) Patterson : 23andMe, GEDMatch M134025
- Rodney Gene Storck : 23andMe
- Courtney Paige Storck : 23andMe
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 31 degrees from Gene Kelly, 22 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 21 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.