|This person is an Acadian.|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Acadians Project!
"L'ancêtre des Babin en Acadie, Antoine, demeurait à Port-Royal." Antoine est né vers 1626 ou 1631 en France. Il épousa Marie Mercier, fille d'un homme inconnu et de Françoise Gaudet vers 1662. Entre vers 1663 et 1684, le couple a eu 11 enfants:
Antoine est mort à Port-Royal (Annapolis Royal, Édouard Nouvelle Écosse, Canada) entre 1686 et 1688.
The Acadian Babin Family stems from one man, Antoine Babin, who lived at Port-Royal (Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, Canada). He was born in France around 1626 or 1631. Around 1662 he married Marie Mercier, daughter of an unkown Mercier and Françoise Gaudet. According to the depositions of his descendants, Antoine came to Acadia from France with his wife.
Between around 1663 and 1684, Antoine and Marie had 11 children:
Antoine died at Port-Royal between 1686 and 1688.
- c1626 or 1631 birth, in France
- 1632 Treaty Saint-Germain-en-Laye cedes Acadia to France; Razilly brings ~300 elite men
- 1636 Arrival of he first French families to settle permanantly
- 1654 British capture Port-Royal; French settlement ceases
- c1662 marriage to Marie Mercier, in France
- c1663 birth, daughter Marie
- c1664 birth, son Charles
- c1665 birth, son Vincent
- 1667-70 Treaty of Breda cedes Acadia to the French; settlement resumes
- c1668 birth, daughter Jeanne
- c1670 birth, daughter Marguerite
- 1671 residence, in Port Royal
- c1671 birth, daughter Catherine
- c1674 birth, daughter Anne
- c1676 birth, son Antoine
- c1678 birth, daughter Madeleine
- 1678 residence, in Port Royal
- c1681 birth, daughter Françoise
- c1684 birth, son Jean
- 1686 residence, in Port Royal
- a1686 death, in Port Royal
- 1671 Acadian Census at Port Royal: Antoine BABIN, farmer, 45, his wife, Marie MERCIER 25; Children: Marie 9, Charles 7, Vincent 5, Jeanne 3, Marguerite 1; cattle 6, sheep 8 and 2 arpents of cultivated land.
- 1678 Acadian Census at Port Royal: Anthoine Babin & Marie Mercier; 1 acre; 4 cattle & 2 sheep; 3 boys: 15 1663; 13 1665; 3 1675; 6 girls: 11 1667; 9 1669; 7 1671; 5 1673; 3/M 1678.
- 1686 Acadian Census at Port Royal: Antoine BABIN 55, Marie MERCIER 40; children: Vincent 21, Marguerite 16, Catherine 14, Anne 12, Antoine 10, Magdelaine 8, Francoise 5, Jean 2; 1 gun, 1-1/2 arpents, 10 cattle, 12 sheep, 8 hogs.
- Acadian.org citing these sources:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 White, Stephen A. La généalogie des trente-sept familles hôtesses des "Retrouvailles 94", Les Cahiers de la Société historique acadienne, vol. 25, nos 2 et 3 (1994). (Babin)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Some base his age on the census closest to his birth (1671) where he is listed as 45 years of age; Stephen White bases his age on the 1686 Census where he is listed as 55. In his DGFA (English supplement page cxxxiv), for ages that are inconsistent, White usually takes the most consistent, followed by the one closest to the person's birth, unless the age appears to be a rounding off and easily divisible by 10 or 5. It is not clear to me why he chose the 1686 census age in this instance. Perhaps his wife Marie was rather young in 1671 (25) to have a 9 year old, which would make her 15 when she got pregnant.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 White, Stephen A., Patrice Gallant, and Hector-J Hébert. Dictionnaire Généalogique Des Familles Acadiennes. Moncton, N.-B.: Centre D'études Acadiennes, Université De Moncton, 1999, Print, p 57-58.
- ↑ [ http://www.acadian-home.org/acadian-origins.html White, Stephen A. Origins of the Pioneers of Acadia. According to the Depositions Made by Their Descendants at Belle- Ile-en-Mer in 1767].
- ↑ George MacBeath, Biography – RAZILLY, ISAAC DE – Volume I (1000-1700) – Dictionary of Canadian Biography Toronto/Université Laval, 2003–, accessed November 20
- ↑ Massignon, Geneviève. "Les parlers français d'Acadie, enquête linguistique", Librairie Klincksieck, Paris, 1962, 2 tomes, p32 first French families in Acadia.
- ↑ William I. Roberts, 3rd, “SEDGWICK, ROBERT,” in Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. 1, University of Toronto/Université Laval, 2003–, accessed November 20, 2013
- ↑ In collaboration, “MORILLON DU BOURG,” in Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. 1, University of Toronto/Université Laval, 2003–, accessed November 20, 2013
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Antoine's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Port-Royal, Acadie 1671 Comments: 0. WikiTree Popularity: 2.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Lianne Lavoie, Roland Arsenault, Don Stone, Michelle Brooks, and Alex Tabary. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.