David Bunton gives her birth year as 1790, although it has been seen as 1782 in other places. She gave her age as 60 in the 1850 Census.
Her name appears to be Ifee on marriage record. Iva in 1850 Census. She is said to have had an Indian name - Sookotosh. Some of the family traditions say that John Renta Baker married an Indian woman after killing her husband and this child was hers (or theirs). Some say she was an adopted Indian child. She would appear to be much younger than his other children and probably too young to be a child of Elizabeth. Although, there is a family letter according to her great-great-great grand-daughter that states her mother's name is Elizabeth, probably Terrill or Pherrill.
1850 Estill Co. Found in Census, age 60, born S. Carolina, living next door to son William. Living with her is Sally, age 20, Rachael age 15, Nathan age 2.
1860 Jackson Co KY - "Ifga" lives with her youngest son William and his family.
According to records of David Bunton, Iffa lived out her old age with youngest son Bill Harrison and died at his home; his children remembered her and remembered the Indian name. They believe the Indian blood to have come from Iffa's mother, Elizabeth ?Terrill, who was possibly half Cherokee. This is tradition, not yet proved.
Since it would seem that her great-great-great grand-daughter carries no Indian DNA according to the DNA studies for racial lines. It's quite possible Iffa was not Indian at all. It should be noted that in 1850 and 1860, Iffa is noted an unable to read and write; probably could not write her own name, nor spell it. One of the reasons her correct name is impossible to determine. Nicknames were common in the families, time, and place in which she lived and it can safely assume she did use a nickname.
Elisha and Ifa Baker Harrison raised their family of twelve in Madison and Estill Counties, Ky. Elisha died in Estill Co. in 1848, and Ifa Baker Harrison died in 1866 at the home of her son William Canady Harrison,
Their children were:
- John Baker Harrison born 10 April 1807 Madison County, Ky; married first Sarah Brockman 29 July 1832 Madison Co, Ky dau of Shelton and Ellender Baker Brockman married second Catharine A. Rogers 25 Mar 1858 Jackson Co, Ky died 20 Feb 1888 Sandgap, Jackson Co, Ky
- Jonathan Harrison born 10 March 1808 Madison Co, Ky married Mary Ann Lakes 28 March 1837 Estill Co, Ky
- George Harrison born ca 1809 Madison Co, Ky married Rachel Isaacs 3 March 1831 Clay Co, Ky dau of James and Nancy Isaacs
- Susannah Harrison born 22 March 1811 Ky married Peter E Gabbard 22 Oct 1831Clay Co, Ky son of Henry Gabbard
- Thomas Harrison born 23 May 1813 Madison Co, Ky married Lucinda Lakes 15 Sept 1836 Estill Co, Ky dau of Carter Lakes and Eady Skinner
- Polly Harrison born pre-1820 married Bazel Lee Abrams on 27 Nov 1832 Madison Co, Ky
- Alitha Harrison born 1816 Ky married John Westley Gabbard 21 Dec 1841 Madison Co, Ky son of Edward Gabbard and Sarah Bowman
- Nancy Jane Harrison born 1822 Estill Co, Ky married Greenbury Lakes 31 Jan 1839 Estill Co, Ky died 15 April 1858 Madison Co, Ky
- Elisha H. Harrison born 1 Dec 1823 Estill Co, Ky married Delilah Lakes 29 April 1849 Estill Co, Ky dau of Carter Lakes & Eady Skinner died 19 April 1895 Madison Co, Ky
- Nathaniel M. Harrison born 1825 Estill Co, Ky married Sally Ann Gabbard 22 Feb 1845 Madison Co, Ky dau of Edward Gabbard & Sarah Bowman
- William Canady Harrison born 1 Nov 1827 Estill Co, Ky married Elizabeth Gentry Gabbard 11 Dec 1849 Madison Co, Ky dau of Edward Gabbard & Sarah Bowman died 29 Dec 1892 Bidville, Crawford Co, Arkansas
- Sally Ann Harrison born 1833 married Elisha Isaacs 4 Nov 1852 Estill Co, Ky son of Godfrey Isaacs & Elizabeth Howard
"Ipha Harrison "Will" This Article of an agreement made and entered into this 10th day of February 1866 by and between Wm. C. Harrison and Ipha Harrison his mother each of the county of Jackson and State of Kentucky witnesseth that I the said William C. Harrison doth agree to take care of the above named Ipha Harrison and give her all the comfort of nurshing and food & clothing necessary for comfort that any ability will admit of during her live time Wherefor the said Ipha Harrison doth agree to give unto unto the Said William C. Harrison all the personal estate She now holds to have and to hold as his own estate at her death except one feather bed and blanket and one quilt which She Bequeaths to Sallie Isaacs her youngist Daughter provided However that Sallie Isaacs Satisfies a now existing Doctor bill in favor of Green W. Holland in witness we hereunto set our hand, day & date above written. Signed: William C. Harrison Ipha Harrison [did not show a "mark"] Attest: H. H. Gabbard, Seth Hyett, James Wilden State of Kentucky Jackson County, I J. M. Wood Clerk of the Jackson County Court do certify that the foregoing Will or agreement was on the 17th day of March 1866 produced in court & proven by the Subscribing Witnesses and was lain over untill next court for exceptions there being no exceptions the same was ordered to record Given under my hand this 12th day September 1866 Signed: J.M.Wood Clerk of County Court
- WikiTree profile Baker-3598 created through the import of Adamson for Wiki.ged on Jul 8, 2011 by Kay Haden. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Kay and others.
- WikiTree profile Baker-7211 created through the import of Gabbard_2012-10-04.ged on Oct 7, 2012 by Brenda Gabbard. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Brenda and others.
- Author: Edmund West, comp. Title: Family Data Collection - Marriages Publication: Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001.;
- Title: 1850 United States Federal Census Publication: Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2005.Original data - Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1850. M432, 1,009 rolls.Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Seventh Census of the Unite;
- Title: Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.; NOTE This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created.
- Title: Family Data Collection - Births Publication: Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2001.; Repository: #R1
- Author: Edmund West, comp. Title: Family Data Collection - Deaths Publication: Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001.;
- BAKER Family Y-STR DNA study & Lineages viewable at http://www.bakerdna.net/
- My FamilyTree BAKER DNA Project Website - Y-DNA Colorized Chart viewable at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/baker/default.aspx?section=ycolorized
- Burton, Jackie T., and Barney Baker. Robert Baker Military Journal 1812 History & Copy Recorded Birth Dates Clay & Owsley Co. Kentucky Baker Family First Settlers Transcribed & Copy. Self Published, n.d. (a copy of this is in the possession of Kathy Wills.)
- Some Descendants of Andrew Baker http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~katy/baker/b14077.html#P14077
- "Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5ZC-GNX : accessed 13 August 2016), Elisha Harrison and Ifee Baker, 28 Aug 1805; citing Madison, Kentucky, United States, Madison County Courthouse, Richmond; FHL microfilm 183,305.
- "United States Census, 1860", database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZBW-H22 : 30 December 2015), Itha Harison in entry for William Harrison, 1860.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- Possible Software Problem Sep 12, 2016.
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Iffa by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Iffa:
- Karen Adamson : 23andMe, GEDMatch T802436 + AncestryDNA + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T802436, FTDNA kit #209716
- Tina (Hacker) Baker : AncestryDNA
- Raymond Baker : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T771945, FTDNA kit #342134
- Waxford Bowling : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, FTDNA kit #468818
- Stuart Haden : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T443415, FTDNA kit #38676
- Clyde Baker : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, FTDNA kit #11908
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Kathy Wills and Rick Tuter. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Iffa is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 24 degrees from Michael Phelps, 24 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.