- Charles Barham's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Gateway Ancestors.
Charles Barham immigrated to Virginia in 1661, settling in Surrey County. He served as justice and sheriff there before moving across the James River to James City County. He married Elizabeth ( possibly Ridley) on Feb 2 1666/67, They had two sons, Charles and Robert & two daughters, Elizabeth and Perilee.
Charles Barham was the fourth son and fifth child of Robert Barham and his wife, Katherine Filmer Barham. He was born at East Hall, the family home, in the Parish of Boughton-Monchelsea, co. Kent, England in 1625/26.
He was left legacies in the wills of both of his maternal grandparents, Sir Edward Filmer in 1629 and Dame Elizabeth Argall Filmer in 1635. These legacies were quite small and in no way provided him with a landed estate. In fact, In the 1600's it was very unusual for a fourth son or fifth child to inherit much, if any, of an estate.
It appears that Charles' three eldest brothers, Edward, Robert, and Thomas Barham died without children and possibly were never married. It is known that Edward died testate in 1661. Edward left his land to his mother for her lifetime. It was then to go to his sister, Susan Barham, until Charles paid her 500 pounds, at which time the land was to descend to Charles and his heirs forever. From this it appears that Robert and Thomas Barham were both deceased and that Charles was next in line to inherit the land. It is not known when the provisions of the Will were met or whether Susan remained on the land. Charles' next younger brother, Richard, lived in London and handled business for Charles while he was in Virginia. Nothing at all has been found of John Barham, the youngest of Charles' brothers. He had three sisters, Elizabeth, Susan and Ann.
- Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd edition 2011, Vol I page 166
- Boddie, John Bennett. Southside Virginia Families. Vol. I. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999
- Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900, Source number: 8840.057; Source type: Family group sheet, FGSE, listed as parents; Number of Pages: 1
- COLKET, MEREDITH B., JR. Founders of Early American Families: Emigrants from Europe, 1607-1657. Cleveland: General Court of the Order of Founders and Patriots of America, 1975. 366p. (Page 17)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Charles's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Richard Draper and Debbie Fuqua. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Charles is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 48 degrees from Lisa Kudrow, 29 degrees from Kurt Vonnegut and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.