- James Barker's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Puritan Great Migration.
[NOTE: see Bulletin Board for disputes on whom his mother might be. No evidence of a Grace Clark?]
This person migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
James Barker, son of James, was born about 1623 in Harwich, Essex, England , died 1702; married about 1644, Barbara Dungan who was born about 1628, daughter of William and Frances (Latham) Dungan. (p. 14)
Jane Fletcher Fiske and William Wyman Fiske, "The Rhode Island Barker Family: Suffolk Background and Connections to Other New England Immigrants," NEHGR 169: 205ff (Summer 2015). 1644: Corporal
1648: Ensign; Member of the General Court of Elections
1655-61-63: Court Commissioner
1661: Member of the committee to receive contributions to obtain a charter.
1663: Juy 8: Named in the Royal Charter granted by Charles II
1678: Deputy Governor (p. 14) Deputy Governor of Rhode Island ( S# 1:p. 14; S# 2: p. 30, S #3: (p. 41-43))
He was also an Elder of the Baptist Church at Newport and a teaching brother for many years. (S#2; p. 30) (S#3:p 41-43)
Children: (p. 14)
Elizabeth b. ___; d. July 5, 1676: m. Nov. 30, 1666, Nicholas Easton, son of Peter and Ann (Coggleshell) Easton. James b. 1648; d. Dec. 1722; m. in 1678, Sarah Jefferay, dau. of William and Mary (Gould) Jefferay. Mary b. ABT 1649 Newport, Newport, RI. d. 19 Sept. 1723 Warwick, RI; m. 1st Elisha Smith son of Edward Smith; m. 2nd, April 16, 1677 Israel Arnold, son of Stephen and Sarah (Smith) Arnold. Joseph b. ___; d. 1725; married Sarah Read. William b. 1662; d. Nov. 3, 1741; m. Elizabeth Easton, dau. of Peter and Ann (Coggleshell) Easton. Sarah b. ABT 1665 Newport, Newport, RI; unmarried. Peter b. ___; d. 1725; m. 1st 1692, Freelove Bliss of John and Desmaris (Arnold) Bliss; m. 2nd in 1712, Susanna unk (?Saunders or Peckham). Christina b. ___; m. William Philips son of Michael and Barbara Philips. 
Frances (Latham) Dungan, widow of William Dungan, married Captain Jeremiah Clarke and emigrated to America shortly after their marriage accompanied by her children by William Dungan, including her daughter Barbara, born about 1628, who married Honorable James Barker.
[Note: Nicholas Easton is listed on the Mary & John, March 1634, , Barker's not listed as a passengers, see p. 30 notes One Hundred Allied Families]
- James Barker
- abt 1623 Harwich, Essex, England
- abt 1702 Providence, Newport, Rhode Island, USA
- 1702 Providence, Newport, Rhode Island, USA
- Clarke, Louise Brownell. The Greenes of Rhode Island with historical records of English ancestry, 1534-1902 (Knickerbocker Press, New York, 1903)
- Fiske, Jane Fletcher, & Fiske, William Wyman. The Rhode Island Barker Family: Suffolk Background and Connections to Other New England Immigrants, The New England Historical & Genealogical Register, (New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Mass.) Vol. 169, Summer 2015, Page 205
- Austin, John. The Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island (1887)
- Austin, John. One Hundred and Sixty Allied Families (Genealogical Publishing Com, 1893)
- Cutter, William Richard. New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of Commonwealths and the Founding of a Nation (Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield Company, 1913) Vol. 4
- The Rhode Island Historical Magazine (Newport Historical Publishing Company, 1881) Volumes 1-2
- Leach, Josiah G. Genealogical and Biographical Memorials of the Reading, Howell, Yerkes, Watts, Latham, and Elkins Families (J.B. Lippincott, 1898)
- WFT Vol. 1 Tree # 2302 dtd June 6, 1995.
- Ancestor of Hannah Smith Crossman (Suzanne Morrison Otte).
- RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project:They Came To Milton
- Austin, John O. The Journal of William Jefferay, Gentleman (E. L. Freeman & Sons, 1899) Page 135-6: "Mr. Barker and his wife Mistress Barbara, with their children that could come (viz.: the eldest, Elizabeth, and her husband, Mr. Easton; Mary and her husband, Mr. Smith; Christiana and William Barker)."
- ↑ Austin(1887)
- ↑ Austin(1893): p. 30
- ↑ Cutter: p. 2137/8
- ↑ RI Historical Magazine: p. 40-43
- ↑ Leach: p. 221
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of James's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Chris Hoyt, Ron Callahan, and Dale Burdick. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On January 29, 2015 at 21:46GMT Chris Hoyt wrote:
NEHGS reference lists Barbara Dungan, wife of James Barker as the daughter of Jeremiah Clarke's wife Frances (Latham) Dungan/Clarke/Vaughn and her first husband William Dungan. (p. 72) The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vols. 37-52 (1883-98), 1920 This may be the daughter being referenced in the previous citation.
Never found Grace Clark. Chris
On January 29, 2015 at 21:19GMT John Schmeeckle wrote:
James is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 15 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 45 degrees from Lisa Kudrow, 26 degrees from Kurt Vonnegut and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.