- James Barker's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
James Barker, son of James, was born about 1623 in Harwich, Essex, England , died 1702; married about 1644, Barbara Dungan who was born about 1628, daughter of William and Frances (Latham) Dungan. (p. 14)
James was born in Harwich, Essex, England in 1623; died in 1702; embarked with his father on the same ship as Nicholas Easton. (see note below) His father, dying during the passage, instructed he be in the care of his aunt Christianna Beecher, wife of Thomas Beecher who emigrated in 1630. He probably remained with his aunt in Charlestown, MA until 1639, when she married Nicholas Easton and moved to Newport. (p. 14)
1648: Ensign; Member of the General Court of Elections
1655-61-63: Court Commissioner
1661: Member of the committee to receive contributions to obtain a charter.
1663: Juy 8: Named in the Royal Charter granted by Charles II
1678: Deputy Governor (p. 14) Deputy Governor of Rhode Island ( S# 1:p. 14; S# 2: p. 30, S #3: (p. 41-43))
He was also an Elder of the Baptist Church at Newport and a teaching brother for many years. (S#2; p. 30) (S#3:p 41-43)
Children: (p. 14)Elizabeth b. ___; d. July 5, 1676: m. Nov. 30, 1666, Nicholas Easton, son of Peter and Ann (Coggleshell) Easton. James b. 1648; d. Dec. 1722; m. in 1678, Sarah Jefferay, dau. of William and Mary (Gould) Jefferay. Mary b. ABT 1649 Newport, Newport, RI. d. 19 Sept. 1723 Warwick, RI; m. 1st Elisha Smith son of Edward Smith; m. 2nd, April 16, 1677 Israel Arnold, son of Stephen and Sarah (Smith) Arnold. Joseph b. ___; d. 1725; married Sarah Read. William b. 1662; d. Nov. 3, 1741; m. Elizabeth Easton, dau. of Peter and Ann (Coggleshell) Easton. Sarah b. ABT 1665 Newport, Newport, RI; unmarried. Peter b. ___; d. 1725; m. 1st 1692, Freelove Bliss of John and Desmaris (Arnold) Bliss; m. 2nd in 1712, Susanna unk (?Saunders or Peckham). Christina b. ___; m. William Philips son of Michael and Barbara Philips.
Frances (Latham) Dungan, widow of William Dungan, married Captain Jeremiah Clarke and emigrated to America shortly after their marriage accompanied by her children by William Dungan, including her daughter Barbara, born about 1628, who married Honorable James Barker. (p. 221) 
[Note: Nicholas Easton is listed on the Mary & John, March 1634, , Barker's not listed as a passengers, see p. 30 notes One Hundred Allied Families]
- Entered by Chris Hoyt
- ↑ The Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island: Comprising Three Generations of Settlers who Came Before 1690 by John Osborne Austin Genealogical Publishing Com, 1887
- ↑ One Hundred and Sixty Allied Families By John Osborne Austin Genealogical Publishing Com, 1893
- ↑ New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of Commonwealths and the Founding of a Nation, Volume 4 By William Richard Cutter Lewis historical publishing Company, 1915
- ↑ The Newport Historical Magazine, Volumes 1-2 Newport Historical Publishing Company, 1881
- ↑ Genealogical and biographical memorials of the Reading, Howell, Yerkes, Watts, Latham, and Elkins families By Josiah Granville Leach J.B. Lippincott, 1898
abt 1623 Harwich, Essex, England
abt 1702 Providence, Newport, Rhode Island, USA
1702 Providence, Newport Co., RI
- WFT Vol. 1 Tree # 2302 dtd June 6, 1995.
- Ancestor of Hannah Smith Crossman (Suzanne Morrison Otte).
- RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project:They Came To Milton
- Clarke, Louise Brownell. The Greenes of Rhode Island (Knickerbocker Press, New York, 1903)
- Entered by Dale Burdick.
- Thanks to Dale Burdick for starting this profile.
- This person was created through the import of PittsPenn_2010-09-21.ged on 22 September 2010.
- This person was created through the import of Shortened files.ged on 30 December 2010.
- WikiTree profile Barker-1727 created through the import of Callahan, Wiley, Plotner, Powell Family Tree - 2009.ged on Dec 2, 2011 by Ron Callahan.
- WikiTree profile Barker-1734 created through the import of Callahan, Wiley, Plotner, Powell Family Tree - 2009.ged on Dec 2, 2011 by Ron Callahan.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of James's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Dale Burdick, Chris Hoyt, and Ron Callahan. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On January 29, 2015 at 21:46GMT Chris Hoyt wrote:
NEHGS reference lists Barbara Dungan, wife of James Barker as the daughter of Jeremiah Clarke's wife Frances (Latham) Dungan/Clarke/Vaughn and her first husband William Dungan. (p. 72) The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vols. 37-52 (1883-98), 1920 This may be the daughter being referenced in the previous citation.
Never found Grace Clark. Chris
On January 29, 2015 at 21:19GMT John Schmeeckle wrote: