James Barker, (of James 2, James 1) b. abt 1623; d. 1702; m. Barbara Dungan 1644, she was born abt 1628, dau of William and Frances (Latham) Dungan. (p. 14)
James Barker embarked with his father on the same ship as Nicholas Easton, his father dying during the passage, instructed he be in the care of his aunt Christianna Beecher, wife of Thomas Beecher. He probably remained with his aunt in Charlestown, MA until 1639, when she married Nicholas Easton and moved to Newport. (p. 14)
1648: Ensign; Member of the General Court of Elections
1661: Member of the committee to receive contributions to obtain a charter.
1663: Juy 8: Named in the Royal Charter granted by Charles II
1678: Deputy Governor (p. 14) Deputy Governor of Rhode Island
Children: (p. 14)Elizabeth b. ___; d. July 5, 1676: m. Nov. 30, 1666, Nicholas Easton, son of Peter and Ann (Coggleshell) Easton. James b. 1648; d. Dec. 1722; m. in 1678, Sarah Jefferay, dau. of William and Mary (Gould) Jefferay. Mary b. ABT 1649 Newport, Newport, RI. d. 19 Sept. 1723 Warwick, RI; m. 1st Elisha Smith son of Edward Smith; m. 2nd, April 16, 1677 Israel Arnold, son of Stephen and Sarah (Smith) Arnold. Joseph b. ___; d. 1725; married Sarah Read. William b. 1662; d. Nov. 3, 1741; m. Elizabeth Easton, dau. of Peter and Ann (Coggleshell) Easton. Sarah b. ABT 1665 Newport, Newport, RI; unmarried. Peter b. ___; d. 1725; m. 1st 1692, Freelove Bliss of John and Desmaris (Arnold) Bliss; m. 2nd in 1712, Susanna unk (?Saunders or Peckham). Christina b. ___; m. William Philips son of Michael and Barbara Philips.
- Entered by Chris Hoyt
- ↑ The Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island: Comprising Three Generations of Settlers who Came Before 1690 by John Osborne Austin Genealogical Publishing Com, 1887
abt 1623 Harwich, Essex, England
abt 1702 Providence, Newport, Rhode Island, USA
1702 Providence, Newport Co., RI
- WFT Vol. 1 Tree # 2302 dtd June 6, 1995.
- Ancestor of Hannah Smith Crossman (Suzanne Morrison Otte).
- RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project:They Came To Milton
- Clarke, Louise Brownell. The Greenes of Rhode Island (Knickerbocker Press, New York, 1903)
- Entered by Dale Burdick.
- Thanks to Dale Burdick for starting this profile.
- This person was created through the import of PittsPenn_2010-09-21.ged on 22 September 2010.
- This person was created through the import of Shortened files.ged on 30 December 2010.
- WikiTree profile Barker-1727 created through the import of Callahan, Wiley, Plotner, Powell Family Tree - 2009.ged on Dec 2, 2011 by Ron Callahan.
- WikiTree profile Barker-1734 created through the import of Callahan, Wiley, Plotner, Powell Family Tree - 2009.ged on Dec 2, 2011 by Ron Callahan.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of James's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Chris Hoyt, Ron Callahan, Mindy Pitts, and Dale Burdick. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.