- Thomas Barrett's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Thomas Barrett, Baret, Barret
Thomas Barrett was born about 1634 in (Kent?), England.  His parents were Thomas Barrett, and the name of his mother is unknown. Some hints have been found in England that his mother's first name may have been Margaret, (see Margaret Huntington), but there is no known record of his parents' marriage. The family emigrated from England, probably with Thomas as a young child, and settled in Braintree, Massachusetts. No birth record has yet been found, neither in England, nor in Massachusetts.
Early Life and Immigrating
Thomas traveled from England to New England with his parents and siblings in about 1635. No record of their sailing has been found. Thomas had three siblings, and all four children were born in England, according to Nora Snow. Thomas was second in birth order; there were no twins. Therefore, the 1634 birth date seems too late for him, unless the family actually arrived at a different date. Thomas may have been born earlier (see note below).
- Note: This was not the Thomas Barrett who sailed from London April 15, 1635 aboard the Increase. That passenger was sixteen years old at the time. Neither was this passenger Thomas' father, the immigrant of Braintree and later Chelmsford. The father, Thomas, "had children born in the early 1630's," according to Anderson. So he could not have been sixteen.
Thomas was married twice. He had six children, all born to this first wife.
1) Frances Woolderson married September 14 or 15, 1655 at Braintree, Norfolk County, Massachusetts by Major Autherton of Dorchester She died May 27, 1694 at Chelmsford, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
Death and Legacy
Thomas died December 8, 1702 at Chelmsford, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
- ↑ Quinn, Heidi S., The Gilman Line accessed online 04/07/14
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Still, Mark The Genealogy of the Gould Family: Containing a Record of One Line of Descendants of Francis Goole of Braintree and Chelmsford, Mass. (Pg 5) typescript mimeograph, 50 pages, Sumner Publication: 1971.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Snow, Nora E., The Snow-Estes ancestry (Vol. 2, Pgs 218-220) Hillburn, New York, 1939, accessed online 3/30/14
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Bates, Samuel A., ed. Records of the Town of Braintree, 1640 to 1793 (Pg 716, Thomas Barrett and Francis Woolderson) Randolph, Mass., Daniel H. Huxford, 1886
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Barnett, Madalene R. The Descendants of Moses and Mary (Dow) Barrett. (Page: i-vii, Introduction) Waco, Texas: 1982
- ↑ Anderson, Robert C., Great Migration 1634-1635, A-B. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. NEHGS, 2008.) Originally published as: The Great Migration, Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635, Volume 1, A-B, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1999, accessed online 04/07/14
- ↑ Massachusetts, Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910, index, FamilySearch (accessed 07 Apr 2014), Thomas Barret, 08 Dec 1702; citing Chelmsford, Middlesex, Massachusetts, reference P 120; FHL microfilm 868435.
Click to the Changes page for the details of edits and contributions.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Thomas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Bob Fields, Kimball Everingham, and Rich Oliver. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Thomas is 14 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 43 degrees from Anne Frank, 18 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 14 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.