This person was part of the Puritan Great Migration.
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
Ellis Barron Sr. was born about 1605 in England. He died 30 October 1676 in Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts,
Ellis Barron m1 Grace ____.
He married Hannah or Anne (Hammond) Hawkins (dau. of William Hammond and Elizabeth; widow of Timothy Hawkins), bap Lavenham, Suffolk, Eng. 14 Jul 1616, d. 1 Sep 1685. "Elliz (sic) Barron and Hannah Haukins (sic) Maryed the 14 : 10m 1653" at Watertown.
He left England for the Massachusetts Bay Colony in the 1630s. He became a freeman in Watertown on 2 June 1641, was the constable in 1658 and a selectman in 1668 and 1673. On 7 November 1670 "It was a greed that Brother Barron shall take a new inventory of the estate of the town".
According to the first inventory of grants and possession in Watertown, taken in 1639, Ellis owned a homestall of ten acres, more or less, bounded east by Thomas Boyson and Richard Linton, west with Stone Street, north by James Cutler, and south by Thomas Smith. This is the same holding as described in the third inventory, taken about 1646.
Last Will & Testament
Dated 26 Oct. 1676, proved 19 Dec. 1676
Mentions seven children: It names only his sons Ellis, John, and Moses. It also mentions his wife, grand daughter Elizabeth Barron, and a male Negro servant. Thomas Hastings was to be the overseer of the will, which was witnessed by John Biscoe and Thomas Hastings. Further mentioned in the will is an agreement made between Ellis and his wife at the time of their marriage. It stated that if he died first, she should return to her houses and lands that were hers before they married. Hannah's will was dated 18 August 1683 and mentions her late husband Ellis and "my negro Shippio".
The inventory of his estate, taken Dec. 2, 1676, included "Barbers Instrumts, & Instrumts to draw teeth" at a value of 7 shillings. It also included "5. books of Divinity & Phisick" at 5 shillings and "1. Negro" at twenty pounds.
- Ellis, m(1) Watertown, MA 14 Dec 1653[9/16] Hannah Hawkins, b. Watertown, MA 10 Jun 1637,[9/4] d. Groton, MA 3 Jan 1673-4, age 37y., m(2) Lydia (Prescott) Fairbanks. Chil.: 1) Ellis, b. 22 April 1655, in Lancaster, MA 1713, m. 26 May 1679 Mary Sherman;
- Hannah, b. 6 March 1657-8, m. 14 June 1678 James Cady;
- Elizabeth, b. 14 April 1660, d young;
- Sarah, b. 4 Nov. 1662, m. ___ Taylor;
- Grace, b. Groton, MA 29 July 1665, m. ___ Stevens;
- Mehitabel, b. 22 June 1668, m. Eleazer Parker;
- Timothy, b. 18 April 1673, d. bef. 1 Sept. 1718, m. 10 March 1697-8 Rachel
- Dorothy, b. 6 Mach 1674-5, prob. d. young;
- Abigail, (in records d. but perhaps should be b.) 14 Nov. 1676, m. 2 June 1699-1700 Henry Houghton of Lancaster
- ↑ "Watertown Records" Vol. 1, Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2001-2010).
- The second marriage by Ellis Sr. is proved by a receipt given 1 April 1673 by Benjamin Garfield of Watertown to "Eliz Barron my father in law" for the portion of Mehitabel his wife, "left hir of the estate of Timothy Hawkins Deced, her father".<ref>Middlesex deeds 5:21 </li>
- The Ancestry of Hattie E. J. Bruce - the Barron Family
- Lancaster Vital Records
- The American Genealogist - Donald Lines Jacobus, 1943 Vol. 20 (pgs.135-136)
- Records of Births Marriages and Deaths, First Book - Watertown Records, Vol. 1, 1894
- Births, Marriages, and Deaths, Second Book - Watertown Records, Vol. 2, 1900
- Guide to the Early Settlers of America, Henry Whittemore, (Excerpted and Reprinted from "The Spirit of '76, Volumes V - XII", September, 1898 - May, 1906, Reprinted Genealogical Publishing Company, 1967, Reprinted for Clearfield Company, Inc. by Genalogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, Maryland, 1995, Library of Congress Catalogue Card Number 67-23072, ISBN 0-8063-0378-6), Page 28
- Pioneers of Massachusetts, Charles Henry Pope, (Originally published: Boston, Massachusetts, 1900, Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1001 N. Calvert St., Baltimore, Md. 21202, 1965, 1969, 1977, 1981, 1991, 1998, Library of Congress Catalogue Card Number 65-22478, ISBN 0-8063-0774-9), Page 35
- Hammond_Am, Fredrick Stam Hammond, (Ryan & Burkhart, Oneida NY, 1904), Vol I, Page 62
- The Great Migration begins, Robert Charles Anderson, (Great Migration Study Project by the New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, 2000, CD-Rom version, 3 volumes.)
- Descendants of John and Mary Coolidge, p. 154; Colonial and Revolutionary Lineages of America, Vol. 2, p. 149
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Ellis's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Daniel Jacobsen, Toby Rockwell, Ellen Kathleen Kropp, and Bobbie Coray. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On November 16, 2014 at 00:21GMT Ellen Smith wrote: