- Robert Ruffin Barrow's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person was created through the import of indygrandma.ged on 02 January 2011. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
- User ID: A6F31DB5154D4D15A79CB1CBFFC61D6737F6
- Data Changed:
- Date: 8 AUG 2009
Prior to import, this record was last changed 8 AUG 2009.
- Note: A heavy investor in the first submarine to sink an enemy ship, the H. L. Hunley, named after its designer, Barrow's brother-in-law, Horace Lawson Hunley. In 1864, the Hunley sank the frigate, S.S. Husatonic in Charleston Bay, SC.
- Robert Ruffin Barrow (b. 1798) was a sugar planter and canal operator in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana. He was the oldest son of Bartholomew Barrow (d. 1852), a merchant at Fishing Creek, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Ascension Slatter Barrow. Bartholomew moved his family to West Feliciana Parish in 1820, where he settled on his estate, Afton Villa. Robert Barrow had two brothers, David Bennett and William Bennett Barrow, both of whom became planters. William lived with Robert until his death in 1842. Barrow (usually referred to as R. R. rather than Robert) owned six Terrebonne Parish plantations: Residence, Caillou Grove, Honduras, Myrtle Grove, Crescent Farm, and Point Farm. In addition, he owned the Oak Grove Plantation in Lafourche Parish; the Locust Grove Plantation in Assumption Parish; the Donaldsonville Plantation in Ascension Parish; and several plantations in Texas. Barrow also operated the Barataria and Lafourche Canal Company Number 2. In 1850 Barrow married Volumnia Washington Hunley, and they had two children, Volumnia Roberta (b. 1854) and Robert Ruffin, Jr. (b. 1858). [From Thomas Becnel's The Barrow Family and the Barataria and Lafourche Canal: The Transportation Revolution in Louisiana, 1829-1925 (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State Univ. Press, 1989).]
- In the summer of 1875, be became ill with cholera. "I was last Tuesday night taken with a very severe attack of cholera morbus," he stated in a letter dictated to John Bradford Pittman, his manager and Partner. "It has completely prostrated me. I am unable to walk across the room, or get to the chamber without help, and I am getting worse," he wrote on July 1. He talked of visiting a friend next week if his health improved, but before signing off, he added, " I learned you was here the other day and did not call to see me, it looks strange. I can dictate no further now. I do my best to live."
- A New Orleans paper recorded his death: "Mr. R. R. Barrow , who died on Tuesday, was a native of North Carolina of a very numerous family, who settled in this state many years ago and became large and wealthy planters. Before the war, R. R. Barrow was one of the largest land and slaveholders in the state...He was an original, full of peculiar ideas and indomitable energy and activity in the pursuit of them, and especially zealous in the very new task of trying to reform the party politics and platforms of the country and to direct the tone of the press thereon." The brief notice invited friends to the funeral service at his Magazine Street residence at 4PM on July 28.
- Place: Girod St.Cemetery, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Husband: Bartholomew Barrow
- Wife: Ascension Slatter
- Child: Robert Ruffin Barrow
- Child: William Bennett Barrow
- Child: Martha Barrow
- Child: David Bennett Barrow
- Date: 11 MAY 1797
- Place: Halifax County, NC
- Source: #S4445
- Name: Page
- Source S4445
- Abbreviation: Ancestry of Lewis Edward Story
- Title: Story, Lewis E. (firstname.lastname@example.org), Ancestry of Lewis Edward Story (Ancestry World Tree Project, updated 2/7/2005)
- Subsequent Source Citation Format: Story, Lewis E. (email@example.com), Ancestry of Lewis Edward Story
- BIBL Story, Lewis E. (firstname.lastname@example.org). Ancestry of Lewis Edward Story. Ancestry World Tree Project, updated 2/7/2005.
- TID 0
- Name: Footnote
- VALUE Story, Lewis E. (email@example.com), Ancestry of Lewis Edward Story (Ancestry World Tree Project, updated 2/7/2005)
- Name: ShortFootnote
- VALUE Story, Lewis E. (firstname.lastname@example.org), Ancestry of Lewis Edward Story
- Name: Bibliography
- VALUE Story, Lewis E. (email@example.com). Ancestry of Lewis Edward Story. Ancestry World Tree Project, updated 2/7/2005.
- Repository: #R52
- Repository R52
- Name: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SRCH&db=lestory&surname=B
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Robert Ruffin's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages:
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Robert Ruffin is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 26 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 25 degrees from Mark Hamill, 23 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 21 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.