Rebecca (Bartlett) Nally wrote, "She took her sons to Andover, NH, to leave them with Sylvester's parents, Jeremiah Bartlett and Fannie. I have to guess a little of this. Stephen, my grandpa, always felt very bad because his parents had deserted him."
The 1870 census for East Andover, NH, lists a nine-year-old "Stephen E Bartlett" living with elderly farmers Emma and Madison Hayward.
The 1880 census shows Stephen employed in a shoe shop in Newton, NH. His brother George and Uncle Sylvanus are also listed in the Newton census.
He married Louisa on December 27, 1883.
In the 1880s Stephen and Louisa moved out to Minnesota to take advantage of the Homestead Act. Mildred and Hollis were born there. Unfortunately, like many homesteaders, they were forced to give up and return home.
Before 1900 the family had moved back to Massachusetts. Stephen found work in a shoe factory in Haverhill.
At the time of the 1910 census, the family is still in Haverhill, Mass. Louisa's mother Rebecca, at age 75, is still living with them. Edward had passed away in 1902.
At the time of the 1930 census, Stephen and Louisa were living in West Palm Beach, Florida. From photos, we know the great-grandkids visited them there.
Stephen's occupation on the 1930 census is listed as "Salesman."
He passed away in 1952 and is buried in the Groveland Cemetary in Haverhill, Massachusetts.
- Research and second-hand information related by Rebecca (Bartlett) Nally.
- 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, and 1930 US census record images accessed on Ancestry.com by Chris Whitten in 2008.
- ↑ Robert Bates had the burial location as Griffith Cemetery in his GEDCOM. Unsure of which is correct.
On November 10, 2013 Karen Aikins wrote:
On July 31, 2008 Chris Whitten wrote:
Login to add your own memory.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Stephen by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Stephen:
- Chris Whitten - 23andMe
- Ted (Whitten) Whittenkraus - 23andMe
- Becky (Nally) Syphers - 23andMe
- Chris Whitten - AncestryDNA
GEDMatch ID A820770
Ancestry.com member ciwhitten
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Bob Bates and Chris Whitten. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Stephen is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 22 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 48 degrees from Lisa Kudrow, 26 degrees from Kurt Vonnegut and 20 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.