- Roger (Beaumont) de Beaumont's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- Roger de Beaumont, 2nd Earl of Warwick (1102 - 12 June 1153) was the elder son of Henry de Beaumont, 1st Earl of Warwick and Marguerite, daughter of Geoffrey II of Perche and Beatrix of Montdidier. He was also known as Roger de Newburg.
- He was generally considered to have been a devout and pious man; a chronicle of the period, the Gesta Regis Stephani, speaks of him as a "man of gentle disposition". The borough of Warwick remembers him as the founder of the Hospital of S. Michael for lepers which he endowed with the tithes of Wedgnock, and other property; he also endowed the House of the Templars beyond the bridge. In the reign of Stephen he founded a priory dedicated to S. Kenned at Llangennilth, Co. Glamorgan and he attached it as a cell to the Abbey of S. Taurinus at Evreux in Normandy.
- Family and children
- He married 1130 Gundred de Warenne, daughter of William de Warenne, 2nd Earl of Surrey and Elizabeth de Vermandois and had children:
- 1.William de Beaumont, 3rd Earl of Warwick.
- 2.Waleran de Beaumont, 4th Earl of Warwick (1153 - 12 December 1204).
- 3.Henry de Beaumont, was Dean of Salisbury in 1205.
- 4.Agnes de Beaumont, married Geoffrey de Clinton, Chamberlain to the King and son of Geoffrey de Clinton, the founder of Kenilworth Castle and Priory.
- 5.Margaret de Beaumont.
- 6.Gundred de Beaumont (c.1135-1200), married: 1.Hugh Bigod, 1st Earl of Norfolk;
- 2.Roger de Glanville.
- [Eula Maria McKeaig II - 061204.FTW]
- Second Earl of Warwick. This nobleman, in the contest between the Empress Maud and King Stephen, espoused the cause of the former, but his lordship is much more known by his munificent grants to the church than his martial deeds. He m. Gundred, dau. of W illiam Earl of Warren, and had issue, William and Waleran, successive earls, Henry, and Agnes. The earl d. 12 June, 1153, and was s. by his eldest son, William de Newburgh 3rd Earl of Warwick. [Sir Bernard Burke, Dormant, Abeyant, Forfeited and Extinct Pe erages, Burke's Peerage, Ltd., London, 1883, p. 399, Newburgh Earls of Warwick] ---------- Roger, the eldest son of Robert de Beaumont Earl of Warwick, held the earldom from 1123 until his death in 1153. As a member of the powerful Beaumont group, Roger w as deeply involved in the struggle between Stephen and the empress Matilda (Maud). The next earls were two of his sons. [Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1961 ed., Vol. 23, p. 375, EARLS OF WARWICK]
Warwick Castle and its Earls II--827
Burke: Extinct Peerage 399, 568
The Complete Peerage (GS #942 D24c vol 12 pt 2)
This page has been edited according to Style Standards adopted January 2014. Descriptions of imported gedcoms for this profile are under the Changes tab.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Roger's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Lyman Carpenter, Katherine Patterson, Ted Williams, Tim Perry, Wendy Hampton, and Jason Murphy. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.