- John Bennett's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
|This person settled in the US Southern Colonies Prior to incorporation into the USA.|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the US Southern Colonies Project!
- John Bennett was christened July 10, 1624 at Wiveliscombe, Somerset, England. He was the first of his line to migrate to America per the Hedrick Genealogy, page 262, which also notes the John Married Mary Sawyer (b. circa 1628 at King & Queen County, VA) died circa 1655. They settled in King & Queen County, VA near the border of Glouchester County.
- Note: A multitude of conflicting family trees without any veracity state implausible information on when and where John married Mary Berry (given name) Sawyer (surname). However, according to our primary source (Early Virginia Immigrants), John and Mary were a couple when they landed in Virginia Colony. This writer (Varnell-40 10:09, 6 September 2016 (EDT)) believes that to be fact until proven otherwise.
- Primary source relates John and Mary Bennett came to the Tidewater area of Virginia Colony January 16, 1649 and settled in King & Queen county near the border of Glouster County. They came over as indentured servants, but bought their freedom within 6 months. Rumored to be loyalist/royalist of King George III, they were running for their lives from Oliver Cromwell, which was confiscating all property and imprisoning all followers of the king.
- Siblings: None
- Spouse: Mary Berry Sawyer, 1628-1667. m. Feb 18, 1646 in England
- William Bennett
- Robert Bennett
- Ann Bennett
- Richard Bennett
- Mary Bennett
- Birth, death, and other details were collected from the well-documented website of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch, entry for John /Bennett/. It may not be 100% accurate, but it is as close to accurate as we can attain given the information and sources available to us.
- This particular profile is an on-going project to document the genealogy of one Bennett line. If you have a problem with a particular entry, please contact the submitter of said entry. This profile is a collaborative work-in-progress, always in need of direct and primary sources. Please contribute valid sources with your information.
- ↑ http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=Search&includedb=&lang=en&ti=&surname=bennett&stype=Metaphone&given=john&bplace=&byear=&brange=0&dplace=&dyear=&drange=0&mplace=&myear=&mrange=0&father=thomas+bennett&mother=&spouse=mary&skipdb=&period=All&submit.x=Search
- ↑ http://www.evmedia.com/virginia/
- ↑ GREER, GEORGE CABELL. Early Virginia Immigrants, 1623-1666. Richmond [Va.]: W.C. Hill Printing Co., 1912, 376p. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1978. Repr. 1982.
- ↑ https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:SY7Y-ZVF : accessed 2016-09-06
- See also:
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Michael Bennett : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup R-M269, Ysearch D7QK4, FTDNA kit #263513
- Paul (Bennett) Duncan : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 111 markers, haplogroup R-M269, Ysearch XM848, FTDNA kit #281924
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John is 21 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 22 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 24 degrees from Michael Phelps, 26 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.