"Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk and Suffolk, the eldest son, was born before 1195. He was the hereditary steward of the king's household, and hereditary bearer of the Barons of St. Edmund. Not many particulars of this Baron's life have been preserved, as he enjoyed for only a few years the title of Earl of Norfolk and Suffolk, and his father's estates and honors, to which he had succeeded in the 5th year of King Henry III. He died four years later, in February 1224-25. He married Maud Marshal, eldest daughter of William Marshal, 3rd Earl of Pembroke, and his wife, Isabel Clare, daughter of Richard de Clare, the Strongbow, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, and his wife, Eva, daughter of Dermot MacMurcha, King of Leinster, Ireland. She was also the sister of the Surety William Marshal & she married (2) William, Earl of Warren/Warrenne and Surrey" [Ref McBride2 citing Burke's p53] (Source: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jweber&id=I03423)
See Wikipedia article on Hugh here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Bigod,_3rd_Earl_of_Norfolk
- Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, (2011), Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, Royal Ancestry series, 2nd edition, 4 vols., ed. Kimball G. Everingham, (Salt Lake City, Utah: the author, 2011), volume I, page 421, Hugh Bigod.
- The Phillips, Weber, Kirk, & Staggs families of the Pacific Northwest, by Jim Weber - http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jweber&id=I03423
- Professor Nigel Saul and the Magna Carta 800th Anniversary Committee (http://www.magnacartabarons.info/hugh-bigod)
- Medieval Lands, database online, author Charles Cawley, (Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, 2006-2013), England, Earls of Norfolk, Link
|Our main source for medieval genealogy in the EuroAristo Project is the FMG database MEDIEVAL LANDS: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families by Charles Cawley,© Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, 2000-2013.|
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Hugh's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Darlene Athey Hill, John Schmeeckle, Ted Williams, Steven Ringer, and Ron Timbrook. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.