- George Blackman's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This biography is a rough draft. It was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import and needs to be edited.
- User ID: 6AFF8491BA9B604FAC5FC37268BE4A94C6D5
- Note: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/1496/history/music1.htm
- Canton Inspired The Country In Music
- Canton has long held a position of historical importance in the history of our country. One unlikely field in which the Town surpassed its neighbors was in the field of music. At one time Canton was the inspiration of the country in all areas of musical endeavor.
- Historical records indicate that as early as 1762, singing meetings were popular in Stoughton (Canton). About that time the people formed an organization for "practicing vocal music". When the Town was besieged by an epidemic of small pox in 1764, it became necessary to notify the Bridgewater singers that they best remain at home until the plague was gone.
- The home of Elijah Crane was a favorite meeting place for the local singers. History has recorded that "sweet singing" was heard at Crane?s place. At another time "fine fiddling" was enjoyed.
- The singing group consisted of many notable figures besides Elijah Crane, Elijah Dunbar, John Keeney, Sam Capen, Thomas Crane, George Blackman, Abner Crane and Benjamin Gill are some of the more familiar names found in the group?s membership.
- Data Changed:
- Date: 6 Nov 2010
- Time: 23:04:33
- Date: 6 Nov 2010
Prior to import, this record was last changed 23:04:33 6 Nov 2010.
- WikiTree profile Blackman-235 created through the import of BDM7-7-11.ged on Jul 8, 2011 by Brian McCullough. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Brian and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of George's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
George is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 29 degrees from Gene Kelly, 17 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.