- Stephen (Blois) of England I's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
|King of the English
22 Dec 1135 - 25 Oct 1154
Stephen of Blois
- King of the English
- Styled: Re Aglorum Dux Normannorum
- Count of Mortain
- Count of Boulogne jure uxoris
- Duke Normandie
- b. c.1096
- d. 25 Oct 1154 Blois, Berri, FR
- m. Matilda c.1125
- Eustace IV (d. Aug 1153)
- Baldwin (d.Young - anti.1135)
- William of Blois (Count of Mortain and Boulogne, and Earl of Surrey or Warenne, d.1159)
- Matilda (d. c. 1137-8)
- Mary de Blois (Benedictine nun, abbess of Romsey, d.1182)
- Illegitimate Children
- Gervase, Abbot of Westminster
|c.1096:||Born at Blois|
|1102||Father dies at Battle of Ramlah in Jerusalem on crusade.|
|1106||Arrives at court.|
|before 1115:||Count of Mortain|
|before 1125:||m. Matilda, Comtesse de Boulogne dau. of Eustace III, Comte de Boulogne and Mary of Scots at Westminster.|
|1128||Joint ruler of Boulogne.|
|Dec 1135:|| King of the English. Duke of Normandy.|
26 Dec: Coronation Westminster Abbey.
|1139:||Matilda invades. Civil war.|
|Apr 1141||Captured at Battle of Lincoln.|
|10 Apr 1141:||Deposed.|
|Nov 1141:||Exchanges Gloucester.|
|Nov 1141:||Reinstalled. 2nd Coronation at Canterbury Cathedral.|
|1148||Matilda leaves England.|
|1153||Eustace dies. Henry II declared heir at Winchester.|
|25 Oct 1154:||Faversham Abbey, Faversham, Kent. Succeeded by Henry II: first Angevin / Plantagenet king..|
- Eustace (c. 1130 – 1153) or Eustace, who succeeded his parents as Count Eustace IV of Boulogne
- Matilda (Maud) (died before 1141), married Waleran de Beaumont, 1st Earl of Worcester
- Marie (1133–1182), who succeeded as Countess Marie I of Boulogne
- Baldwin (died before 1135)
- Adela (died before 1146)
- William (c. 1137 – 1159), who succeeded as Count William I of Boulogne
King Stephen's illegitimate children by a certain Damette were:
- Gervase, Abbot of Westminster
Other children currently linked to this profile but without documentation are: Sybilla
- p. William the Conqueror and Matilda of Flanders
- 4 dau including Eléonore of Blois; 5 sons. Stephen's surviving brothers were:
- Count Thibaud (Theobald) II of Champagne
- Henry of Blois (monk at Cluny)
- Henry, Bishop of Winchester
- Guillaume (William) of Sully
- marriage puts him in the center of Anglo-Norman political life; wife supporter during Anarchy (raised troops, etc). Issue: 5 recorded - 3 sons, 2 dau.
- at least 3 natural children, including Gervase.
- shortly after, acquires other lands in England, including honours of Eye and Lancaster; after 1120 a part of the honour of Eudo Dapifer.
- ↑ Stephen, King of England, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen,_King_of_England:
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Stephen's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On December 2, 2010 at 17:49GMT Krissi Love wrote: