- Stephen I (Blois) of England's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Stephen of Blois, King of the English, Styled Re Aglorum Dux Normannorum, Count of Mortain, Count of Boulogne jure uxoris, Duke Normandie
|King of the English
22 Dec 1135 - 25 Oct 1154
d. 25 Oct 1154 Blois, Berri, France.
Stephen VI (FR: Étienne), Count of Blois-Chartres and Adela of England (p. William the Conqueror and Matilda of Flanders). Issue: 5 sons, 4 dau.
- Eléonore of Blois
- Count Thibaud (Theobald) II of Champagne;
- Henry of Blois (monk at Cluny);
- Henry, Bishop of Winchester;
- Guillaume (William) of Sully;
- Eustace (c. 1130 – 1153) or Eustace, who succeeded his parents as Count Eustace IV of Boulogne;
- Matilda (Maud) (d. before 1141) m. Waleran de Beaumont, 1st Earl of Worcester;
- Marie (1133–1182), Countess Marie I of Boulogne, (Benedictine nun, abbess of Romsey, d.1182;
- Baldwin (d. before 1135);
- Adela (d. before 1146);
- William (c. 1137 – 1159), Count William I of Boulogne, Count of Mortain, and Earl of Surrey or Warenne;
Mistress and Issue
mistress. Damette. Issue:
- Gervase, Abbot of Westminster
Other children currently linked to this profile but without documentation are:
|c.1096:||Born at Blois|
|1102||Father dies at Battle of Ramlah in Jerusalem on crusade.|
|1106||Arrives at court and shortly after acquires other lands in England, including honours of Eye and Lancaster; after 1120 a part of the honour of Eudo Dapifer.|
|before 1115:||Count of Mortain|
|before 1125:||m. Matilda, Comtesse de Boulogne dau. of Eustace III, Comte de Boulogne and Mary of Scots at Westminster.|
|1128||Joint ruler of Boulogne.|
|26 Dec 1135:||Crowned King of the English at Westminster Abbey. Duke of Normandy.|
|1139:||Matilda invades. This turbulent period is known as The Anarchy.|
|Apr 1141||Captured at First Battle of Lincoln.|
|10 Apr 1141:||Deposed.|
|Nov 1141:||Exchanges Gloucester.|
|Nov 1141:||Reinstalled. 2nd Coronation at Canterbury Cathedral.|
|1148||Matilda leaves England.|
|1153||Eustace dies. Henry II declared heir at Winchester.|
|25 Oct 1154:||Faversham Abbey, Faversham, Kent. Succeeded by Henry II: first Angevin / Plantagenet king.|
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Stephen I's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On December 2, 2010 at 17:49GMT Krissi Love wrote: