- Stephen I (Blois) of England's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Stephen of Blois, King of the English, Styled Re Aglorum Dux Normannorum, Count of Mortain, Count of Boulogne jure uxoris, Duke Normandie
|King of the English
22 Dec 1135 - 25 Oct 1154
d. 25 Oct 1154 Blois, Berri, France.
Stephen VI (FR: Étienne), Count of Blois-Chartres and Adela of England (p. William the Conqueror and Matilda of Flanders). Issue: 5 sons, 4 dau.
- Eléonore of Blois
- Count Thibaud (Theobald) II of Champagne;
- Henry of Blois (monk at Cluny);
- Henry, Bishop of Winchester;
- Guillaume (William) of Sully;
- Eustace (c. 1130 – 1153) or Eustace, who succeeded his parents as Count Eustace IV of Boulogne;
- Matilda (Maud) (d. before 1141) m. Waleran de Beaumont, 1st Earl of Worcester;
- Marie (1133–1182), Countess Marie I of Boulogne, (Benedictine nun, abbess of Romsey, d.1182;
- Baldwin (d. before 1135);
- Adela (d. before 1146);
- William (c. 1137 – 1159), Count William I of Boulogne, Count of Mortain, and Earl of Surrey or Warenne;
Mistress and Issue
mistress. Damette. Issue:
- Gervase, Abbot of Westminster
Other children currently linked to this profile but without documentation are:
|c.1096:||Born at Blois|
|1102||Father dies at Battle of Ramlah in Jerusalem on crusade.|
|1106||Arrives at court and shortly after acquires other lands in England, including honours of Eye and Lancaster; after 1120 a part of the honour of Eudo Dapifer.|
|before 1115:||Count of Mortain|
|before 1125:||m. Matilda, Comtesse de Boulogne dau. of Eustace III, Comte de Boulogne and Mary of Scots at Westminster.|
|1128||Joint ruler of Boulogne.|
|26 Dec 1135:||Crowned King of the English at Westminster Abbey. Duke of Normandy.|
|1139:||Matilda invades. This turbulent period is known as The Anarchy.|
|Apr 1141||Captured at First Battle of Lincoln.|
|10 Apr 1141:||Deposed.|
|Nov 1141:||Exchanges Gloucester.|
|Nov 1141:||Reinstalled. 2nd Coronation at Canterbury Cathedral.|
|1148||Matilda leaves England.|
|1153||Eustace dies. Henry II declared heir at Winchester.|
|25 Oct 1154:||Faversham Abbey, Faversham, Kent. Succeeded by Henry II: first Angevin / Plantagenet king.|
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Stephen I's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On December 2, 2010 at 17:49GMT Krissi Love wrote:
Stephen I is 25 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 28 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 55 degrees from Lisa Kudrow, 33 degrees from Kurt Vonnegut and 23 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.