- John Briggs's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
John was born in 1595. He passed away before 1675. Entered by Nora Sparks, Thursday, August 22, 2013.
Can you add any information on John Briggs? Please help grow his WikiTree profile. Everything you see here is a collaborative work-in-progress.
- John Briggs
- Birth Date: 1 May 1595
- Place: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England
- Event Type: Arrival
- Date: 1635
- Place: Boston, Massachusetts
- Note: Immigrant England
- Husband: John Briggs
- Wife: Agnes Thayer
- Child: Joanna Briggs
- Child: Thomas Briggs
- Child: Richard Briggs
- Child: Samuel Briggs
- Child: William Briggs
- Child: Hugh Briggs
- Marriage Date: 11 Nov 1633
- Place: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England
- Death Date: 1675
- Place: Taunton, Bristol Co, MA
- Death Date: 1686
- Place: Taunton, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
- Death Date: BEF 1687
- Place: The towns and settlements of Plymouth Colony did not become a part of Massachusetts Bay Colony (later known as The Commonwealth of Massachusetts) until 1691. Taunton, Plymouth Colony, New England
- Found multiple copies of DEATH DATE using BEF 1687.
- Source: S95
- Title: Richard, William, and Hugh, Sons of John Briggs of Taunton, Massachusetts
- Author: Edna Anne Hannibal and Claude W. Barlow
- Publication: The New England Historical and Genealogical Register; April 1971; Vol. 125, No. 2
- Source: S96
- Media: Periodical
- Abbreviation: The American Genealogist
- Title: The American Genealogist
- Author: Daniel Lines Jacobus
- Publication: New Haven, CT; Joel Munsell's Sons; 1922-Present
- Note: The American Genealogist was founded in July 1922 by Donald Lines Jacobus as the New Haven Genealogical Magazine. The first eight volumes consist primarily of the editor's compendium, Families of Ancient New Haven. When that project was completed, the journal became, with the July 1932 issue (the first number of the ninth volume), The American Genealogist and New Haven Genealogical Magazine and was dedicated to the elevation of genealogical scholarship, through carefully documented analyses of genealogical problems and through short compiled genealogies. In 1937 the subtitle was dropped, and the journal became simply The American Genealogist, usually abbreviated as TAG. After forty-three years as Editor and Publisher, Donald Lines Jacobus was succeeded in January 1966 by Dr. George E. McCracken (1904-1986) of Des Moines, Iowa, who continued the high standards set by TAG's founder. With the April 1983 issue, Dr. McCracken was succeeded by Robert Moody Sherman (1914-1984) and Ruth Wilder Sherman (1929-1992) of Warwick, Rhode Island. Dr. David L. Greene of Demorest, Georgia, joined Mrs. Sherman in editing TAG, beginning with the April 1984 number, and Robert Charles Anderson of Derry, New Hampshire, became Coeditor with Dr. Greene in 1993. In 1999 Joseph C. Anderson II of Dallas, Texas, joined David Greene and Robert Anderson. The American Genealogist is published four times a year. Editions 1-4 edited by William H. Whitmore, 5th edition prepared by the publishers
- Source Quality: Excellent
- Source: S97
- Media: Electronic
- Title: WorldConnect Database: "Bogdonoff-Dick Ancestry"
- Author: Jillaine Smith <email@example.com>
- Publication: March 2, 2008; RootsWeb.com
- Repository: #R42
- Repository: R42
- Address: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jss_pdb
- Source: S98
- Media: Electronic
- Title: WorldConnect Database: "Dave Utzinger's Database"
- Author: Dave Utzinger <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Publication: July 18, 2008; RootsWeb.com
- Repository: #R43
- Repository: R43
- Address: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=michelotti
- Source: S682
- Author: Ancestry.com
- Title: OneWorldTree
- Name: The Generations Network, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA;;
- Repository: #R32
- Repository: R32
- Name: www.ancestry.com
- Source S-1988883823
- Repository: #R-1992163608
- Title: Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s
- Author: Gale Research
- Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc, 2010.
- Original data - Filby, P. William, ed. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s. Farmington Hills, MI, USA: Gale Research, 2010.
- APID: 7486::0
- Repository R-1992163608
- Name: Ancestry.com
- Address: http://www.Ancestry.com
- Source S-1988981437
- Repository: #R-1992163608
- Title: U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
- Author: Yates Publishing
- Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
- Original data - This unique collection of records was extracted from a variety of sources including family group sheets and electronic databases.
- APID: 7836::0
- Source S-1992136522
- Repository: #R-1992163608
- Title: Ancestry Family Trees
- Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com.
- Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.
- Note: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files.
- Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created.
- Source: #S-1992136522
- Page: Ancestry Family Trees
- Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=24279608&pid=1711774487
- Richardson, Douglas, MA., The English Origins of John Briggs of Taunton, Mass, The American Genealogist, Volume 59, page 175+
- Barclay, Mrs. John E., F.A.S.G., Notes on the Briggs Family of Taunton, Mass, The American Genealogist, Volume 33, Page 76
- GEDCOM file imported on 18 Sep 2009 by Allan Morton.
- This person was created through the import of thayer jan11.ged on 05 January 2011.
- WikiTree profile Briggs-1449 created through the import of ROBISON Gedcom of DRR Ancestors and Descendants for WikiTree 01 JUL 2012.ged on Jul 1, 2012 by Dave Robison. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Dave and others.
- Thank you to Nora Sparks for creating Briggs-2089 on 22 Aug 13. Click the Changes tab for the details on contributions by Nora and others.
- This person was created through the import of Dickinson Family Tree.ged on 31 March 2011.
- This profile was adopted and edited. Ramsey-1224 23:35, 22 December 2014 (EST)
- WikiTree profile Briggs-1153 created through the import of Putnam2-1_2010-01-02_2011-02-16_2011-10-11.ged on Oct 12, 2011 by John Putnam. See the Changes page for the details of edits by John and others.
- Thank you to Kay Martin for creating WikiTree profile Briggs-2226 through the import of Martin-Rowe Family Tree.ged on Oct 22, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Kay and others.
- Briggs-3518 was created by Tom Greene through the import of wikiedwardbabcock1.ged on May 17, 2015.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of John's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Cindy Barnett, John Putnam, Allan Morton, Nora Sparks, and Dave Robison. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On June 30, 2015 at 00:01GMT S Willson wrote:
On June 29, 2015 at 16:04GMT David Mason wrote:
Bio indicates it is but needs more research in Marion,MA
On May 21, 2015 at 03:27GMT Cindy Barnett wrote:
On May 20, 2015 at 19:06GMT Allan Morton wrote:
On May 20, 2015 at 17:32GMT Tom Greene wrote:
On May 20, 2015 at 17:30GMT Tom Greene wrote:
On December 25, 2014 at 22:51GMT John Putnam wrote: