Hon. William Bull was the first Lt. Governor of South Carolina.
- Hon. William Bull, of Ashley Hall and Sheldon, Esq., J. P., was a member of the Commons House of South Carolina, 1706-1719, &c; served as captain in the Tuscarora and Yemasee wars; was colonel of the Berkeley County regiment; Commissioner of Indian affairs, 1721; and Lord Proprietors' Deputy in 1719. He stood loyally by the Proprietors, but was, nevertheless, en the change of government, appointed a member of the King's Council for South Carolina, 1721 -1737, and from his experience and knowledge of the affairs of the country and the Indians was appointed co assist Gen. Oglethorpe to settle Georgia, and, Feb. 9, 1733, (on a site said to have been suggested by him) Mr Oglethorpe and Coll. Bull marked out the Town of Savannah (whose principal street perpetuates his name).
- Col. Bull became President of the Council on Mr. Arthur Middleton's death, Sept. 7, 1737, and on Lt. Gov. Broughton's death, Nov. 22, the government devolved upon him. He was appointed Lieutenant Governour June 3, 1738, and governed the Province with ability, tact and courage till 1744. In his time the Province suffered war, pestilence and famine; in 1738 was menaced by the Spaniards, French and Indians and afflicted by small pox and crop destroying droughts; in 1739 a servile insurrection and yellow fever; in 1740 war with the Spaniards and a dreadful fire in Charlestown. But Gov. Bull overcame all difficulties; his influence kept the Indians quiet; he suppressed the insurrection and raised forces against the Spaniards, and his administration was one of the most successful and popular the Province had ever had. Col. Bull was commissioner under the Church act, 1706, and was reappointed 1745 (when he was the only surviving commissioner) and was commissioner of Prince Williams' parish, the church of which he did much to erect. • Gov. Bull, besides the estates received from his father, obtained large grants in the Province and settled the fine Sheldon estate. His home in Charlestown was the brick mansion (late Miss Hayne's) at the N. W. corner of Meeting and Ladson streets, erected on the lot N? 270 granted his father in 1694. (Now owned by H. H. Ficken, Esq.) He was born at Ashley Hall April, 1683; m., 17 —, Mary, dau. of Richard Quintyne Esq. She d. 19, March, 1738." He d. at Sheldon, March 21, 1755.
- "The Bull Family of South Carolina" (which appeared in volume 1 (January 1900) of The South Carolina Genealogical and Historical Magazine at pages 76 to 90.
- The South Carolina historical and genealogical magazine (1900)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.