Maud Burnel was born in 1290/1, at Acton Burnell Castle, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.
Married (2): Before 4 Dec 1315 Died: Before 17 May 1341
Maud Burnel was the daughter of Philip Burnel and his wife, Maude, the sister of Richard Fitz Alan, Earl of Arundel.
Maud was the sister of:
- Edward Burnel alias Bernel, who died at Thirnyngg in Norfolk on 22 August 9 Edward II , at which time this Maud, late the wife of John Lovel, aged 24 or 25, was his next heir;
Maud was married to:
- Sir John Lovel 2nd Baron Lovel of Titchmarsh, Maud and Sir John had children:
- Isabel Lovel
- John, born 1314, 32 and more before August, 20 Edward III ; Sir John LOVEL 3rd Baron Lovel of Titchmarsh;
- John de Handlo alias de Haudlo or de Hadlowe alias Sir John de Haudlo & Crundale. Maud and her second husband had children:
- Nicholas Burnel, aged 23 and more before August 20 Edward III, alias Sir Nicholas de Haudlo 1st Baron Burnell;
- Joan DE HAUDLO
- Thomas BURNELL
- Margaret DE HAUDLO
Richard, oldest son of John de Handlo, predeceased his father and married Isabel, who was remarried to Robert Hildesle before 20 Edward III; Richard and Isabel had children;
- Edmund, aged 7 and more and married to Alesia before August 20 Edward III, was his grandfather's heir;
In 1330, Maud and her husband, John de Handlo, petitioned the King, Edward III, and council, for the tenements of which Philip Burnel and his wife Maud were seized that were given in free marriage by Richard Fitz Alan, Earl of Arundel, Maud's brother; Maud had leased the tenements to Edmund Earl of Arundel after Philip's death; the tenements should have come to Maude and John after Maud's death, but came into the king's hand instead after Edmund's death, and the king gave them to Roger de Mortemer, formerly Earl of March, but they are again in the king's hands and Maud and John ask him to consider their right, and do justice to them.
Maud's second husband, John de Handlo or de Haudlo or de Hadlowe, outlived Maud, dying on 5 August 1346, at which time the properties he had been holding of Maud's inheritance, by the courtesy of England, because of the children Maud and John de Haudlo had together, reverted to her son, John Lovel.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 The Deputy Keeper of the Records, Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem and other Analogous Documents preserved in the Public Record Office, Vol V Edward II, (London: His Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department, 1908), accessed 23 September 2014, https://archive.org/stream/cu31924011387838#page/n417/mode/2up pp.390-4. Abstract No 611 Edward Burnel alias Bernel.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The National Archives Website: Discovery: SC 8/52/2570, PETITIONS TO THE KING; TO THE KING AND COUNCIL; TO THE COUNCIL; TO THE PARLIAMENT; AND THE LIKE. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9062785, 6 November 2014. The original document can be viewed online.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 The Deputy Keeper of the Records, Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem and other Analogous Documents preserved in the Public Record Office, Vol VIII Edward III, (London: His Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department, 1913), accessed 13 November 2014, https://archive.org/stream/cu31924011387861#page/n555/mode/2up pp.488-496. Abstract No 667 John de Haudlo or de Hadlowe.
- G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 434-5
- Peter W. Hammond, editor, The Complete Peerage or a History of the House of Lords and All its Members From the Earliest Times, Volume XIV: Addenda & Corrigenda (Stroud, Gloucestershire, U.K.: Sutton Publishing, 1998), page 125.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Maud's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jean Maunder, Vic Watt, Katherine Patterson, Steven Ringer, and Darrell Parker. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.