Idwal Foel ap Anarawd
|King of the Britons
942 — 950
Domnall mac Eógain (Dyfnwal III of Strathclyde)
Idwal Foel ap Anarawd
|King of Gwynedd
920 — 950
Iago ap Idwal and Ieuaf ap Idwal
909 — King Cadell son of Rhodri dies.
915 — King Anarawd dies.
919 — King Clydog (his brother and co-ruler of Seisyllwg or Ceredigion) was killed. Slain by another brother, Meurig
928 — Hywel journeyed to Rome.
Hywel Dda (English: Hywel the Good) or Hywel ap Cadell (c.880 – 950) was a King of Deheubarth who eventually came to rule most of Wales. He became the sole king of Seisyllwg in 920 and shortly thereafter established Deheubarth, and proceeded to gain control over the entire country from Prestatyn to Pembroke. As a descendant of Rhodri Mawr through his father Cadell, Hywel was a member of the Dinefwr branch of the dynasty. He was recorded as King of the Britons in the Annales Cambriae and the Annals of Ulster.
And Howel the Good, son of king Cadell, chief and glory of all the Britons, died. And Cadwgan, son of Owain, was killed by the Saxons. And then the action of Carno took place between the sons of Owain, son of Howel, and the sons of Idwal.
950 - Hywel king of the Britons died.
Annales Cambriae, The Annals of Wales, Harleian 3859, retrieved 11 June 2014, amb
- ↑ Charles-Edwards, Wales and the Britons, 350-1064, p. 504, retrieved 11 June 2014, amb
- ↑ Hywel Dda (Hywel Dda ap Cadell) (d. 949/50), king in Wales by David E. Thornton© Oxford University Press 2004–14 All rights reserved, retrieved 11 June 2014, amb
- ↑ Annales Cambriae, The Annals of Wales
- ↑ Wikipedia entry for Hywel Dda
- ↑ Brut y Tywysogion
- ↑ Annales Cambriae, The Annals of Wales, Harleian 3859
- Peniarth 28 : a Latin text of the Laws of Hywel Dda, The National Library of Wales
- T. M. Charles-Edwards, Wales and the Britons, 350-1064. History of Wales. (Google eBook). Oxford University Press, Nov 29, 2012.
- Hywel ap Cadell Dda/the Black
- Wikipedia entry for Hywel Dda
This person was created on 08 April 2011 through the import of HOWE(1).ged.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Hywel Dda's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Michelle Brooks, Katherine Patterson, Stephen Richard Wilkinson, David Rentschler, Chet Spencer, Elizabeth Ross, Ted Williams, and Jeffrey Davidson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.