Idwal Foel ap Anarawd
|King of the Britons
942 — 950
Domnall mac Eógain (Dyfnwal III of Strathclyde)
Idwal Foel ap Anarawd
|King of Gwynedd
920 — 950
Iago ap Idwal and Ieuaf ap Idwal
Date Estimation by Darrell Wolcott
Wolcott estimates a birth year of 880. 
(O)uen map (H)iguel map Catell map Rotri map Mermin map Etthil merch Cinnan map Rotri map Iutguaul map Catgualart map Catgollaun map Catman map Iacob map Beli map Run map Mailcun map Catgolaun Iauhir map Eniaun girt map Cuneda map Ætern map Patern Pesrut map Tacit map Cein map Guorcein map Doli map Guordoli map Dumn map Gurdumn map Amguoloyt map Anguerit map Oumun map Dubun map Brithguein map Eugein map Aballac map Amalach, qui fuit beli magni filius et Anna mater eius quam dicunt esse consobrina mariæ uirginis matris d’ni n’ri ih’u xp’i.
909 — King Cadell son of Rhodri dies.
915 — King Anarawd dies.
919 — King Clydog (his brother and co-ruler of Seisyllwg or Ceredigion) was killed. Slain by another brother, Meurig
928 — Hywel journeyed to Rome.
Hywel Dda (English: Hywel the Good) or Hywel ap Cadell (c.880 – 950) was a King of Deheubarth who eventually came to rule most of Wales. He became the sole king of Seisyllwg in 920 and shortly thereafter established Deheubarth, and proceeded to gain control over the entire country from Prestatyn to Pembroke. As a descendant of Rhodri Mawr through his father Cadell, Hywel was a member of the Dinefwr branch of the dynasty. He was recorded as King of the Britons in the Annales Cambriae and the Annals of Ulster.
And Howel the Good, son of king Cadell, chief and glory of all the Britons, died. And Cadwgan, son of Owain, was killed by the Saxons. And then the action of Carno took place between the sons of Owain, son of Howel, and the sons of Idwal.
950 - Hywel king of the Britons died.
- ↑ Darrell Wolcott, The Clan of Tudor Trevor. http://www.ancientwalesstudies.org/id55.html Accessed August 26, 2015. Welsh genealogies are long on pedigrees and short on dates. As a result, the dates sometimes attached to individuals conflict with dates attached to their parents or children. Darrell Wolcott, President, Center for the Study of Ancient Wales, has constructed estimated birth years for those coming before and following Tudor Trevor which seek to resolve the conflicts. Born in Jefferson, Texas in 1935 Darrell Wolcott grew up in Ohio. After a career in banking he took early retirement in 1996, and returning to his place of birth he created and endowed the Center for the Study of Ancient Wales (a non-profit foundation with a library of some 3200 volumes) located in Jefferson, Texas. The foundation has constructed a small castle to house its library and offices and acquired copies of thousands of source and secondary works related to the history of Wales, many of which are otherwise unavailable outside Britain. At present he is its sole researcher.
- ↑ Harleian genealogies 1: Gwynedd part 1, amb
Annales Cambriae, The Annals of Wales, Harleian 3859, retrieved 11 June 2014, amb
- ↑ Charles-Edwards, Wales and the Britons, 350-1064, p. 504, retrieved 11 June 2014, amb
- ↑ Hywel Dda (Hywel Dda ap Cadell) (d. 949/50), king in Wales by David E. Thornton© Oxford University Press 2004–14 All rights reserved, retrieved 11 June 2014, amb
- ↑ Annales Cambriae, The Annals of Wales
- ↑ Wikipedia entry for Hywel Dda
- ↑ Brut y Tywysogion
- ↑ Annales Cambriae, The Annals of Wales, Harleian 3859
- Peniarth 28 : a Latin text of the Laws of Hywel Dda, The National Library of Wales
- T. M. Charles-Edwards, Wales and the Britons, 350-1064. History of Wales. (Google eBook). Oxford University Press, Nov 29, 2012.
- Hywel ap Cadell Dda/the Black
- Wikipedia entry for Hywel Dda
- FMG: HYWEL "Dda/the Black" (-[948/50]). 
|European Aristocrats Source|
|Our main source for medieval genealogy in the European Aristocrats Project is the FMG database MEDIEVAL LANDS: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families by Charles Cawley,© Foundation for Medieval Genealogy & Charles Cawley, 2000-2015.|
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Hywel Dda by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Michelle Brooks, Elizabeth Ross, Tracy Holt, Ted Williams, Chet Spencer, David Rentschler, and Jeff Davidson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Hywel Dda is 27 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 30 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 41 degrees from Gene Kelly, 31 degrees from Bram Stoker and 24 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.