Margaret (or Marjorie), Countess of Carrick, m Adam de Kilconcath (Kilconquhar), 3rd Earl of Carrick in her right, who d on Crusade at Acre in 1270 without issue. What followed belongs to legend and has been much embroidered by novelists, but the probability appears to be that Robert de Brus, the son of Robert de Brus, Lord of Annandale and of Cleveland (known to history as "Robert Bruce the Competitor"), newly returned from the Crusade, visited the Countess to bring her the news of her widowhood. He encountered her while she was hunting, she judged him a worthy trophy, and the consequence was his capture and enforced sojourn in her castle until he married her a few days later. Cynics and historians insist that this was a ruse to allow Alexander III to take a lenient view of their having married without his consent, and when he seized her castle and lands she regained them with payment of a fine (perhaps the same fine she would have paid for licence to marry anyway). Countess Marjorie d 1292 brought into this world five sons and five daughers, of whom the most famous son was to become King Robert I, 4th Earl of Carrick. Her husband, Earl of Carrick in her right, resigned the earldom to his eldest son on Nov. 9, 1292, after the Countess had died.
- James Balfour Paul, "Scots Peerage", 1904-1914, Vol. 2 p. 426.
- Douglas Richardson, "Royal Ancestry", 2013, Vol. 1, pp. 596-597.
This person was created through the import of Kahn Family Tree 3.2.11_2011-04-29.ged on 30 April 2011.
- Source S13
- Title: Ancestry Family Trees
- Publication: Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.;
- Repository: #R2
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Marjorie's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Terry Wright, Katherine Patterson, Ted Williams, Carol Wilkerson, Allan Stuart, Robert Garcia, Elliott Burke, Ronald Corey, Betty Hewett, Herb Henderson, Marc Cohen, Adam McQuery, and Judie Nessler. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On August 12, 2015 at 17:09GMT James McDonald wrote:
I removed purported son John as he already had been commented as bogus.
On July 15, 2015 at 02:17GMT Michelle McQueen wrote:
On December 5, 2014 at 20:52GMT Darlene Athey Hill wrote: