Direct Ancestor of Jimmy Carter
Littleberry Walker Carter (1832-1873)
In 1851 Littleberry Walker Carter married Mary Ann Diligent Seals (c.1838-c. 1874) in Warren County, Georgia. She was the daughter of William A. (b. 1814) and Eliza Harris (b. 1815) Seals of Warren County. In the mid 1850s the Carters and Seals lived in that part of Warren County that became Glascock in 1857 and it was there that William A. Seals died in 1860, and his widow in 1886.
Littleberry and Mary Ann moved c. 1860 to Sumter Co. near his father's plantation. He served in the American Civil War in Captain Cutts Sumter County Flying Artillery, serving in Virginia. Littleberry was a farmer and was buried on his farm at the time of his death at the age of 42.
Carter's great-grandfather, Private L.B. Walker Carter (1832–1873), served as a Private in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. He returned home after the Civil War only to be knifed to death during a drunken brawl with his business partner, D.P. McCann. “They were fighting over the proceeds of a ‘flying jenny’, a homemade merry-go-round that they owned and operated.” McCann, who was sought for murder, vanished to South America and was never caught. 
Walkers’ wife Mary Aim, died the same day as Walker, “Due to grief at the shock of his death.”
- Date: 1832
- Place: Plains, Georgia
- Husband: Littleberry Walker Carter
- Wife: Maryann Diligent Seals
- Littleberry and Mary Ann had four children:
- Jeremiah Calvin (1855-1925)
- Eliza Ann (b. 1856)
- William Archibald (1858-1903)
- Nannie Bell (b. 1866)
- Date: Nov. 27, 1873
- Cemetery: Oak Grove Cemetery
- Place: Americus, Sumter County, Georgia, USA
- ↑ Jimmy Carter Library: James Carter
- ↑ Jimmy Carter, American Moralist, by Kenneth Earl Morris, 1996, page 23
- ↑ FindAGrave: Littleberry Walker Carter
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Littleberry by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Littleberry:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Littleberry is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 37 degrees from Anne Frank, 23 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 24 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 20 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.