- Benjamin Chase Sr.'s Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
While he was baptized in Roxbury in 1652, he is believe to have been born closer to 1639.
He married, abt 1673, Philippe Sherman, born 1 Oct 1652, daughter of Philip and Sarah (Odding) Sherman.
May 1674: He was admitted as a freeman in Portsmouth, RI
By 1679: in Freetown
2 Jun 1685: Chosen surveyor in Freetowne
Jun 1686: chosen constable in Freetowne.
1698, 1699, 1705: Selectman
6 Mar 1705/6 appointed guardian of his granddaughter Sarah Makepiece.
17 Apr 1717: with wife joined First Sabbatarian Church, Newport, RI
He died at Freetowne, Bristol Co., Massachusetts between 6 Sep 1730 when his will was dated, and 25 Jul 1731, when it was proved.
Last Will & Testament
Dated 6 Sep 1730.
- to sons Benjamin and Walter
- to grandson Benjamin Grinnell
- to dau Bethiah Dunham
- to dau Philippe Hathaway
- to son-in-law Jacob Hathaway
- to granddaughter Sarah, wife of Isaac Hathaway
- to grandchild Daniel Grinnell
- Note: BENJAMIN CHASE (William (1))
- b. 1639, Yarmouth, Ma., bapt 18 Apr 1652, Roxbury, Ma., d. 1730/1, Freetown, Ma., will dated 6 Sept 1730, proved 25 July 1731. m. 1673, Providence, R.I.,
- PHILIPPE/Philippa SHERMAN, b. 1 Oct 1652; dau of Philip Sherman and Sarah Odding. Res Portsmouth, R.I. and Freetown, Ma. (ref: NEHGR Jan 1933; per Gen. of R.I. Fam., Vol I, pg 787, Philip Sherman did not have a dau Philippe, The Sherman Gen, R.V. Sherman, 1968, pg 24 says he did; Chase Gen 1, pg 5-6, 7; Gen Dict of R.I., pg 179; Freetown VR; Torrey, pg 147). Benjamin and Philippe had:
- i MARY CHASE, b. 1674
- ii SARAH CHASE, b., 1676
- iii PHILIPPA CHASE, b. 5 July 1679, Freetown, Ma. (VR). m. 28 Jan 1696/7, JACOB HATHAWAY
- iv BENJAMIN CHASE, b. 15 July 1682, Freetown, Ma. (VR)
- v WALTER CHASE, b. 23 Oct 1684, Freetown, Ma. (VR)
- vi BETHIA CHASE, b. 3 Dec 1686, Freetown, Ma. m. 19 June 1706, JOSEPH DUNHAM
- Amy Chase Loftin. More descendants of William Chase of Yarmouth : being the progeny of William Chase (1787-1843) of Wyoming County, New York and Livingston County, Michigan. [Baltimore?] : The Author, [1968?].
- Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970
- Mike Walton. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Mike and others.
- Christine Roane. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Christine and others.
- Thomas Linton. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Thomas and others.
- Toby Rockwell. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Toby and others.
- Bob Nichol. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Bob and others.
- K Layman
- ↑ John Carroll Chase, "Some of the Descendants of William Chase of Roxbury and Yarmouth, Mass.," New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Boston, MA: NEHGS, 87(1933):51
- ↑ Roxbury Land and Church Records, Six Report of the Boston Record Commissioners (Boston 1884), p 119: 1652: Month 2 [April} day 18. Benjamin Chase son of William Chase.
- ↑ Plymouth Colony Records, 6:167
- ↑ PCR, 6:187
- ↑ Bristol County Probate Records
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Benjamin's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Toby Rockwell, Bob Nichol, K Theado, Stanley Wood, and Christine Roane. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On March 20, 2014 at 02:50GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On March 19, 2014 at 17:06GMT Fred Remus wrote:
On March 16, 2013 at 00:56GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
Benjamin is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 46 degrees from Anne Frank, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.