While he was baptized in Roxbury in 1652, he is believe to have been born closer to 1639.
He married, abt 1673, Philippe Sherman, born 1 Oct 1652, daughter of Philip and Sarah (Odding) Sherman.
May 1674: He was admitted as a freeman in Portsmouth, RI
By 1679: in Freetown
2 Jun 1685: Chosen surveyor in Freetowne
Jun 1686: chosen constable in Freetowne.
1698, 1699, 1705: Selectman
6 Mar 1705/6 appointed guardian of his granddaughter Sarah Makepiece.
17 Apr 1717: with wife joined First Sabbatarian Church, Newport, RI
He died at Freetowne, Bristol Co., Massachusetts between 6 Sep 1730 when his will was dated, and 25 Jul 1731, when it was proved.
Last Will & Testament
Dated 6 Sep 1730.
- to sons Benjamin and Walter
- to grandson Benjamin Grinnell
- to dau Bethiah Dunham
- to dau Philippe Hathaway
- to son-in-law Jacob Hathaway
- to granddaughter Sarah, wife of Isaac Hathaway
- to grandchild Daniel Grinnell
- Note: BENJAMIN CHASE (William (1))
- b. 1639, Yarmouth, Ma., bapt 18 Apr 1652, Roxbury, Ma., d. 1730/1, Freetown, Ma., will dated 6 Sept 1730, proved 25 July 1731. m. 1673, Providence, R.I.,
- PHILIPPE/Philippa SHERMAN, b. 1 Oct 1652; dau of Philip Sherman and Sarah Odding. Res Portsmouth, R.I. and Freetown, Ma. (ref: NEHGR Jan 1933; per Gen. of R.I. Fam., Vol I, pg 787, Philip Sherman did not have a dau Philippe, The Sherman Gen, R.V. Sherman, 1968, pg 24 says he did; Chase Gen 1, pg 5-6, 7; Gen Dict of R.I., pg 179; Freetown VR; Torrey, pg 147). Benjamin and Philippe had:
- i MARY CHASE, b. 1674
- ii SARAH CHASE, b., 1676
- iii PHILIPPA CHASE, b. 5 July 1679, Freetown, Ma. (VR). m. 28 Jan 1696/7, JACOB HATHAWAY
- iv BENJAMIN CHASE, b. 15 July 1682, Freetown, Ma. (VR)
- v WALTER CHASE, b. 23 Oct 1684, Freetown, Ma. (VR)
- vi BETHIA CHASE, b. 3 Dec 1686, Freetown, Ma. m. 19 June 1706, JOSEPH DUNHAM
- Amy Chase Loftin. More descendants of William Chase of Yarmouth : being the progeny of William Chase (1787-1843) of Wyoming County, New York and Livingston County, Michigan. [Baltimore?] : The Author, [1968?].
- Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970
- Mike Walton. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Mike and others.
- Christine Roane. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Christine and others.
- Thomas Linton. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Thomas and others.
- Toby Rockwell. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Toby and others.
- Bob Nichol. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Bob and others.
- K Layman
- ↑ John Carroll Chase, "Some of the Descendants of William Chase of Roxbury and Yarmouth, Mass.," New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Boston, MA: NEHGS, 87(1933):51
- ↑ Roxbury Land and Church Records, Six Report of the Boston Record Commissioners (Boston 1884), p 119: 1652: Month 2 [April} day 18. Benjamin Chase son of William Chase.
- ↑ Plymouth Colony Records, 6:167
- ↑ PCR, 6:187
- ↑ Bristol County Probate Records
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Benjamin's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jillaine Smith, Bob Nichol, Stanley Wood, Toby Rockwell, K Layman, and Christine Roane. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On March 20, 2014 at 02:50GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On March 19, 2014 at 17:06GMT Fred Remus wrote:
On March 16, 2013 at 00:56GMT Jillaine Smith wrote: