- Augustine Claiborne's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Father: Thomas Claiborne b: 16 Dec 1680 in King William Co., VA Mother: Anne West Fox b: 20 May 1684 in King William Co., VA
Marriage 1 Mary Herbert b: 25 Aug 1728•Married: Abt 1740 •Change Date: 19 Jan 2014
Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Volume I IV--Burgesses and Other Prominent Persons
of "Windsor," son of Captain Thomas Claiborne, of "Sweet Ha ll," was born in 1721; removed from King William county t o Surry and was burgess for that county in 1748-1749 and 17 52-1757, but resigned in 1754 to become clerk of Sussex. I n 1780 he was a state senator. He married Mary Herbert, dau ghter of Buller Herbert, and died May 3, 1789. He was an em inent lawyer.
- Note: "Soon after Colonel Claiborne married Mary Herbert, he built "Windsor", then in Surry county, but later fell in Sussex. Colonel Claiborne was a Burgess from Surry County 1748-54 and the first clerk of Sussex County when it was formed in 1754. He served as Clerk for twenty-two years, u until 1776, when he became a Colonel of Virginia. He was also a member of the Committee of Safety for Sussex in 1775." (Boddie, Virginia Historical Genealogies, p. 40)
- According to the website "Virginians" (www.virginians.com/redirect.htm?topics&3490), Augustine was head of a household of nine whites and 30 blacks in Sussex County in 1782. He had twenty-five slaves in Dinwiddie County that same year. His will was recorded 17 May 1787.
- Husband: Augustine Claiborne
- Wife: Mary Herbert
- Child: Mary Claiborne
- Child: Herbert Claiborne
- Child: Augustine Claiborne
- Child: Anne Claiborne
- Child: Susanna Claiborne
- Child: William Presley Claiborne
- Child: Buller Claiborne
- Child: Lucy Herbert Claiborne
- Date: 8 MAY 1744
- Source: #S4439
- Name: Page
- Source S4439
- Abbreviation: Virginians: The Family History of John W. Pritchet
- Title: Pritchett, John jW., Virginians: The Family History of John W. Pritchett (Copywrite 2001-2005, John W. Pritchett)
- Subsequent Source Citation Format: Pritchett, John jW., Virginians: The Family History of John W. Pritchett
- BIBL Pritchett, John jW. Virginians: The Family History of John W. Pritchett. Copywrite 2001-2005, John W. Pritchett.
- VALUE Pritchett, John jW. Virginians: The Family History of John W. Pritchett. Copywrite 2001-2005, John W. Pritchett.
- Repository: #R48
- Source S4442
- Abbreviation: Old King William Homes and Families
- Title: Clarke, Peyton Neale, Old King William Homes and Families (Baltimore: Regional Publishing Company, 1966)
- Subsequent Source Citation Format: Clarke, Peyton Neale, Old King William Homes and Families
- BIBL Clarke, Peyton Neale. Old King William Homes and Families. Baltimore: Regional Publishing Company, 1966.
- TID 0
- Name: Footnote
- VALUE Clarke, Peyton Neale, Old King William Homes and Families (Baltimore: Regional Publishing Company, 1966)
- Name: ShortFootnote
- VALUE Clarke, Peyton Neale, Old King William Homes and Families
- Name: Bibliography
- VALUE Clarke, Peyton Neale. Old King William Homes and Families. Baltimore: Regional Publishing Company, 1966.
- Repository: #R50
- Repository R50
- Name: Billings, Montana Family History Center (LDS)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Augustine by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share significant DNA with Augustine:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On November 3, 2014 at 09:23GMT Liz Shifflett wrote:
Profile ID is spelled wrong, but it's the right Elizabeth.