- Micajah Clark Sr.'s Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
The following is from the VA ARGUS newspaper, dated Friday July 29, 1808 published at Richmond by Samuel Pleasants [copied from partially illegible microfilm]:
DEPARTED this life on the 21st inst at his residence in the county of Albemarle Micajah CLARK, Senior aged 91 years, after a lingering ilness of 7 (? could be 2) months which he endured to the last, with unceasing patience, and a Christian ?Ukefore_ories, altho he was from the commencement of this illess, confidently impressed with the belief he should never recover. This venerable man, hath had the happiness of enjoying a long and well spent life, in good health, almost uninterrupted, never having experienced more than one attack previous to the one which carried him off. He was, in every respect, perfectly uniform and temperate; his benign and humane contenance, plainly indicated the purity and benevolence of his heart, and opened an avenue to ?its/his innermost recesses by which any one might enter. How melancholy are the sensations we feel, when meditating on the loss of this, our friend, and the friend of mankind -- Philanthropy, humanity, morality and benevolence will severely deplore his loss, and shed a tear in remembrance of his departed shade. It's needless to recount the many amiable qualities which were united in this man; they are well known to all who knew him; but to those who knew him not, suffice it to say, he was a kind and benevolent neighbor, a humane and tender master, and that the poor never passed unheeded by him. The writer of these lines, hath from his infancy, known this man, whose loss we deplore, and in making the foregoing communication he has done it conscientiously. July 26, 1808. A FRIEND.
- A web site about him and his descendants: (http://www.oursouthernancestors.com/clark-001.html)
- Husband: Micajah Clark
- Wife: Judith Adams
- Child: Christopher Clark
- Child: Robert Clark
- Child: Mourning Clark
- Child: Micajah Clark
- Child: John Clark
- Child: Edward Clark
- Child: Penelope Clark
- Child: Judith Clark
- Child: Bolling Clark
- Child: Elizabeth Clark
- Child: James Craven Clark
- Child: William Clark
- He was willed five hundred acres of land in Hanover County, VA.
- He was a close friend of Thomas Jefferson, and, as his surveyor, Micajah(pronounced My cage ah) had laid off much of his land and was an aide toJefferson in many of his building projects.
- He was a large land owner and gave land to each of his 12 children. Hewas well educated, as were all his children.
- He built a small church near his home that was open to all sects everySunday. If no minister came, he would conduct a service. He was calledthe "Quaker Preacher," however he never joined the Quaker denomination.
- From "Cabells and Their Kin" by Alexander Brown: "The Clarks were the first settlers of Albemarle, once part of Hanover, afterwards Louisa."
- 1737 Micajah `of Hanover County' purchased 130 acres from James Defaux.This tract was bounded by Machunk Creek, Judith's father Robert Adams andthe then Hanover County line. Witnesses to the deed were his father,Xpher Clark, his brother-in-law Benja. Jonson and Mathew Whitell.Recorded in Goochland County Deed Book 3, page 12 .
- In March 1747 Micajah first appears in Fredericksville Parish, Albemarle Co., VA records.
- December 15, 1757 Micajah patented 176 acres in Bedford Co., VA on both sides of Dreaming Creek, south side of Fluvanna River adjacent CharlesLynch; but instead of the now usual payment in currency, he listed four names he 'imported ... to swell within this Colony of Virginia' -- James,Mary Ann and Mary Spiers and William Kippas.
- Micajah was appointed as Collector for the Anglican Church Parish in1762. Micajah was again appointed the Parish Collector and Ordered to give bond at the vestry meeting held Dec'r 13, 1770. On November 14th,1771 Micajah was again appointed the parish Collector and ordered to give bond for security.
- He served as a Corporal in Captain Samuel Woodson's Company in the 9th Virginia Regt. of Foot Sol. commanded by Colonel George Matthews in theRevolutionary War. His name appears on the roll from Dec 1776 to Oct 1777(or this could be his son?).
- He was supposedly related to George Rogers Clark and William Clark (their father John Clark was in the same neighborhood as Micajah's father Christopher at the same time and was listed on some legal documents with him).
- Micajah must have given all his land and property to his children before his death, as he had no will or probate.
- DAR Ancestor A022565
- WikiTree profile Clark-3916 created through the import of MOORMAN FAMILY.GED on May 31, 2011 by Mary Elizabeth Stewart. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Mary Elizabeth and others.
- WikiTree profile Clark-8627 created through the import of CJB001.ged on Jul 18, 2012 by Christopher Becker. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Christopher and others.
- Marie Mills, firsthand knowledge. Click the Changes tab for the details of edits by Marie and others.
- Source S4301 Lane, Mrs. Julian C. Key and Allied Families Statesboro, GA, Publisher, (Press of the J.W. Burke Co., Macon, GA, 1931). Private property of Pat Iverson
- Source S4711 Millenium File [database online]
- ↑ Source: #S4711
- ↑ Source: #S4301 p. 361. States [in error] that Micajah Clark was born Sept 16, 1698 rather than 1718.
- ↑ Source: #S4301 p. 361
- ↑ Source: #S4711
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Micajah by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Micajah:
- Walter Banks : 23andMe, GEDMatch M105419
- Beth (Clement) Daniel : 23andMe, GEDMatch M808741
- Roy Clement : 23andMe, GEDMatch M065595
- Carol (Hall) Sutherland : AncestryDNA, Ancestry member carols255
- Susan (Clement) Whanger : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A120645, Ancestry member sadehazie
- Lendy Gwin : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A137487, Ancestry member sadehazie
- Rondell Clement : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A198915, Ancestry member sadehazie
- Richard Latture : AncestryDNA
- Mary Elizabeth Stewart : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, FTDNA kit #309095
- Betty (Yates) Dick : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T617769
- Bobby Clement : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T059571, FTDNA kit #409621
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Micajah is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 17 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 27 degrees from Gene Kelly, 18 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.