This person migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
Thomas was instrumental in the founding of Portsmouth, RI, and later Newport. He was a signatory of the Portsmouth Compact. This was the first document in history that severed both political and religious ties with mother England, and is viewed by some historians as marking the beginning of the Revolution. It has also been called "the first instrument for governing as a true democracy".
Jane died sometime after 1663. Thomas passed away at his brothers home on December 2, 1674 at Newport.
- Torrey, Clarence Almon. Torrey’s New England Marriages Prior to 1700 (Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore, 1985)
- Clark, Thomas (1605-1674) & Jane __?__ (-1663+); ca 1628/33?, no issue; Newport.
- NEHGR:The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA) 148 vols., 1847-1994;
- Moriarty, G. Andrews, Jr.; "Genealogical Research in England - Clarke-Cooke (alias Carewe)-Kerrich"; vol. 75, pg. 279; 1921.
- Filby, P. William, ed. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s, (Farmington Hills, MI, USA: Gale Research, 2009)
- Arrival date: 1620-1650 Arrival place: Newport, Rhode Island Place: Newport, Rhode Island; Year: 1620-1650
- U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 Yates Publishing: The Generations Network, Inc. (Provo, UT, USA, The Generations Network, Inc., 2004).
- Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Name: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.
- ↑ NEHGR
- ↑ "Peckham Genealogy: the English ancestors and American descendants of John Peckham of Newport, Rhode Island 1630", Records in the Bible of John Clarke, p. 209, entry reads: Thomas Clarke sone of T: Clarke: baptd the : 31 :st March, 1605 (d. 1674, Oct. 2.)
- ↑ Ibid, Extracts from the Parish Register of Westhorpe, Suffix, England p. 212, entry reads: 1605 Thomas, the sonne of Thomas Clarke, baptised XXXI March
- ↑ Torrey
- ↑ NEHGR
- ↑ Filby
- ↑ Torrey
- ↑ Portsmouth Compact at RootsWeb
- ↑ NEGHR
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- Can we make Thomas Clarke a PPP? Sep 3, 2014.
No known carriers of Thomas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Sandy Harris, K Clark, Merry Ann Palmer, and Merilee Burton. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On March 8, 2015 at 21:34GMT Bryan McCullagh wrote:
Removing Susannah Ring as wife.
On July 7, 2014 at 23:09GMT Vic Watt wrote:
On January 20, 2014 at 03:43GMT Merry Ann Palmer wrote:
On January 19, 2014 at 21:33GMT J Pictet wrote: