John Thomas Clay was born in 1587/88 in Monmouth, Wales. He died Apr. 7, 1655 - 60 in Charles City, Virginia. He was known as CAPTAIN JOHN CLAY, "the English Grenadier" (hired soldier in the King's army) .John was the earliest American ancestor of the Clay family to come to Virginia. He arrived in Jamestown with his two younger brothers in the 'TREASURER", FEB. 1613 according to the muster on the 'Treasurer'.  The Treasurer, sent to protect the settlers in Jamestowne, was commanded and partially owned by Captain Samuel Argall, who was a brother of Elizabeth Argall Filmer, ancestress of Martha & Lucy Green Clay (wife of Henry Clay 1711-1764). It is stated in his muster that he (John Clay) was a planter before the government of Sir Thomas Dale.  He paid for the importation of 32 people on the good ship 'West' which arrived July 13, 1635 for which he was granted 1200 acres of land 13 July 1675 at the head of Wards Creek. John had married before leaving England and left his wife Anne behind. She arrived on the 'ANN", August 1623. In 1624 they were living in Charles City, Virginia, along the banks of the James River where John had been granted 1200 acres in the County, beginning at the lands granted by order of Court to Francis Hooke, up to the head of Wards, his creek, and bounded on the north by the James River. Due 100 acres to him as an old planter before the government of Sir Thomas Dale, and the other 1100 for the transportation of 21 persons by the "west"., July 13, 1635. These lands granted John were near the present City Point, only a few miles from what is now Chesterfield County, and no other settler of the name is mentioned in any record in this section. 
- some sources indicate John Clay may have been born in England and not Wales
- There is no evidence that John Clay(e) had a middle name. Middle names were not commonly in use at that time, and there is no primary source for that usage. It is thought that the middle name of "Thomas" came from a mis-reading of a record of a later John Clay, who signed his name within a written document with a "J," which, at the time was equivalent to today's "I". This, in turn, was mis-read/represented by a transcriber as a "T," and a later reader decided that "Thomas" would be a possible name.
- ↑ Edmund West, comp.. Family Data Collection - Deaths [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001. <http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&db=genepoold&h=533437&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt> <http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&db=genepoold&h=533477&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt>
- ↑ U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s,p 67. [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc, 2010. Original data: Filby, P. William, ed. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s. Farmington Hills, MI, USA: Gale Research, 2012.< http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&db=pili354&h=4118014&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt>
- ↑ Kinard, June. comp., Early Immigrants to Virginia from the 1500s and 1600s [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000. Original data Published by The Researchers, PO box 39063, Indianapolis IN. 46239-0063. <http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&db=eaimmva&h=33&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt >
- ↑ Richmond Critic, 1888
- This person was created on 06 August 2010 through the import of Lynch-Tree.ged.
- Thank you to Teresa Abram for creating Clay-1180 on 20 Oct 13.
- WikiTree profile Clay-710 created through the import of Cato Family Tree_book_EN.ged on Sep 21, 2011 by Linda Cato.
- WikiTree profile Clay-908 created through the import of Ehrbar Family Tree.ged on Oct 9, 2012 by Jeffery Owens.
- WikiTree profile Clay-591 created through the import of Travis Family Tree.ged on Jun 22, 2011 by Roger Travis.
- This person was created through the import of LaBach Family TreeApril28_2011.ged on 05 May 2011.
- Thank you to Linda Justice for creating WikiTree profile Clay-1022 through the import of Justice Family Tree.ged on Apr 30, 2013. C
- information entered by Betty Tindle, Wednesday, January 22, 2014.
- Clay-1464 was created by John Floyd through the import of James-W-Justice-ancestors.ged on Aug 30, 2014.
Searching for someone else?
- John Clay
- John Clay
- Michael M. Clay
- John H. Clay
- John Clay
- John Charles Clay
- John Clay
- John G. Clay
- John Clay
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of John Thomas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: David Douglass, John Floyd, Betty Tindle, Stephen Michael, Jeffery Owens, and Teresa Abram. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On August 12, 2015 at 17:59GMT David Douglass wrote:
On July 4, 2015 at 16:36GMT William Foster wrote:
On January 18, 2015 at 02:32GMT John Floyd wrote:
On December 7, 2014 at 14:47GMT John Floyd wrote: