- Charles Clay's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Rebels - Bacon's Rebellion.
Dr. Charles Clay of Capt John Thomas Clay and Ann born abt 1638 at Charles City, Virginia Colony, married Hannah Wilson abt 1667 at Henrico, Co., Virginia Colony and died abt 1686 at Henrico, Co., Virginia Colony   Charles married HANNAH WILSON 6 1667 in Henrico County, Virginia, daughter of JOHN WILSON, SR ,she was born 1642 in Henrico County, Virginia, and died 1706 in Henrico County, Virginia.  
Note: Dr Clay's Find A Grave Memorial  gives his birth date as 1638 while another source states that Dr Clay gave a deposition dated 2 September, 1682, Henrico Co., Va., and in sworn testimony he stated that he was "about 37 years old". That would make his year of birth about 1645. 
In 1657 Charles apprenticed himself to Stephen Tickner, "Chyrugion," of Surry County, who was to "Employ him about the way of Chyrurgery or Phissake, for & during the terms of Seven yeares…" 
CHARLES CLAYE married HANNAH WILSON, daughter of John Wilson, Sr., and sister of John Wilson, Jr., to whom he gave a receipt for his wife’s full share of her father’s estate, 18 Feb. 1685/6. Shortly thereafter CHARLES died intestate for on 1 June 1686 his widow HANNAH was granted letters of administration on his estate. An inventory of Dr Clay's estate was returned 2 Aug. 1686. 
On 1 Oct. 1787 HANNAH CLAY made a deed of gift of cattle and personality to "John Clay, Thomas Clay, Henry Clay and Charles Clay, my sonnes" and to "my daughter Judith." 19 She married (2) before 10 April 1696, Edward Stanley. She probably died before 20 Aug. 1706 when Edward Stanley was ordered "to bring the remaining orphans of CHARLES CLAY to the next Court to discharge the securities of their estates."
Children named in Charles will: Mary , named in the inventory of her father’s estate; Elizabeth named in the inventory of her father’s estate; John , Thomas , Henry , Charles , Judith .
- ↑ Edmund West, comp.. Family Data Collection - Individual Records [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000. Ancestry.com
- ↑ Charles Clay 1638 in Charles City
- ↑ Clay Family Scroll Transcription
- ↑ Find A Grave Memorial# 59355840 Created by: David Reese, unsourced http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=59355840
- ↑ [Find A Grave Memorial# 59355840]
- ↑ Charles Clay & Hannah Wilson, Boyd Co, Press Observer Jan 29, 1976
- ↑ Ibid
- ↑ Ibid
- Will: October 01, 1687, Recorded in Henrico County, Virginia
- Children of CHARLES CLAY and HANNAH WILSON are:
- i.MARY CLAY, b. 1664, Henrico County, Virginia.
- ii. ELIZABETH CLAY, b. 1666, Henrico County, Virginia.
- iii. JOHN CLAY, b. 1668, Henrico County, Virginia; d. 1723,
- Prince George County, Virginia.
- Joined in Bacon's Rebellion. Charles Clay was an officer under
- Nathaniel Bacon in his rebellion against Sir William Berkeley,
- Royal Governor of Virginia in 1676. He was a man of great wealth
- and scholarly tastes and possessed the finest library in the colony.
- Occupation was as a Chyrurgion (Surgeon) .
- Birth may have been 1645 -"In a deposition dated 2 Sep 1682,
- Henrico, VA, he stated he was "about 37 years old".
- iv. COL. THOMAS CLAY 8, b. 1670, Henrico County, Virginia; d. 1726,
- Prince George County, Virginia; m. MARY HANNAH MUNNS , Aft. 1690.
- Notes for COL. THOMAS CLAY:
- Will probated November 8, 1726
- More About THOMAS CLAY and MARY MUNNS:
- Marriage: Aft. 1690
- v. HENRY CLAY I b. August 03, 1672, Henrico County, Virginia;
- d. August 03, 1760, "The Raells, Bailey, Chesterfield County, Virginia;
- m. MARY MITCHELL, 1708, Chesterfield County, Virginia 15; b. July 1693,
- Swift Creek, Chesterfield County, Virginia; d. August 07, 1777, Chesterfield County, Virginia.
- vi. CHARLES CLAY, JR., b. 1675, Henrico County, Virginia; d. 1764,
- Chesterfield County, Virginia; m. SARAH MITCHELL?, 1710,
- Chesterfield County, Virginia.
- Charles Clay (1675-1764) deeded his land in Amelia County, Virginia
- in 1752 to his children as follows:
- Thomas 150 acres, Charles and William 52 acres each, Judith 50 acres.
- Henry a minister died in 1751, his daughter Mary received his part.
- James inherited the home place at his mother Sarah's death.
- Dr. Grady Clay of Atlanta has the original deed from King George to
- Charles Clay for 304 acres dated 1737.
- Marriage: 1710, Chesterfield County, Virginia
- vii. JUDITH CLAY, b. Bet. 1676 - 1677, Henrico County, Virginia.'
This person was created through the import of LaBach Family Tree April 28_2011.ged on 05 May 2011.
Clay-1613 was created by Paul Bailey through the import of Bailey Family Tree.ged on Dec 14, 2014.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- I made a big boo-boo Feb 1, 2014.
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Charles by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Charles:
- Sally (Bankson) Bingman - Family Tree DNA Family Finder
Family Tree DNA kit 234132
- George Michael Bedinger - AncestryDNA
Ancestry.com member GBedinger
- Margaret Golden - AncestryDNA
GEDMatch ID A539559
Ancestry.com member margegoldensf
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Paul Bailey, David Douglass, Betty Tindle, Richard Draper, John Threatt, and Jeffery Owens. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On July 4, 2015 at 16:35GMT William Foster wrote:
On February 1, 2014 at 12:32GMT Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
On February 1, 2014 at 11:29GMT Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
As far as I can see, the links were never right, so you did NOT mess up.
On February 1, 2014 at 08:50GMT Betty Tindle wrote:
On January 31, 2014 at 17:49GMT Betty Tindle wrote:
Charles is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 19 degrees from Mark Hamill, 16 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 14 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.