- Archdale Combs's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
|This person settled in the US Southern Colonies Prior to incorporation into the USA.|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the US Southern Colonies Project!
Archdale Combe/Combs (1640?-1684?) of Stafford & Old Rappahannock Counties, Virginia aka Combes
Note: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group sometimes uses the spelling "Combe"
Archdale was christened on 16 November 1641 at Soulbury, Buckinghamshire, England. He was a son of John Combe and Elizabeth Lovett. He may have been born at Sparsholt, Berkshire, England, as he was identified as "Archadell Combes, son of John of Sparsholt, Berkshire, Armiger, deceased," in regards to his apprenticeship in 1656.
In two documents of power of attorney in the 1660's, Archdale called Warrick Cammock his friend of his "loveing Friende Mr. Warricke Cammocke."
Archdale was apprenticed on 10 April 1656 for eight years, as a Draper, to his maternal uncle, Christopher Lovett. Christopher had children baptized in 1658 and 1663 at Dublin, Ireland. It was the usual practice for apprentices to reside with their masters.
Uncertain Wife's Maiden Name
She has often been called Elizabeth Butler, based on two records. One was an apprenticeship record on 7 May 1684, in which Charles Combs was assigned to John Butler until the age of twenty-one (Old Rappahannock OB, 1683-1686, p. 20 (27)). In another apprenticeship record, on 4 September 1684, William Combs was assigned to Mr. William Underwood (Old Rappahannock OB, 1683-1686, p. 55).
The other was a deed (which was a result of the relinquishment of dower signed by Elizabeth and Archdale in 1674), dated 11 Dec 1691, from William UNDERWOOD, Jr. to William THOMAS which has caused much confusion. A transcription is found on the Archdale Combs page by the Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group:
…Mr. Wm. UNDERWOOD, Sr. "as Marrying the Sister of the said Mr. Ammaree BUTLER. And from the said BUTLER confer'd unto Mr. Wm. UNDERWOOD Senr. as marrying the Sister of the said BUTLER and from the said UNDERWOOD convey'd over by Exchange of the Thirds of land belonging unto Mrs. Eliza: COUMBS with consent of the said Mrs. Elizabeth COUMBS unto William UNDERWOOD, Junr., John COUMBES, and William COUMBES to them their heires or assignes forever… (Richmond Deeds, 1692-1694, Ruth & Sam Sparacio, McLean, VA, 1991)
The difficulty in interpretation was a result of mis-identification of the two William Underwoods mentioned. "Mr. Wm. UNDERWOOD, Sr." was not the Col. Wm. UNDERWOOD, earlier husband of Elizabeth. He was the son of the Col. Wm. UNDERWOOD, and he was the husband of Mary BUTLER, sister of Amory BUTLER.
"Mr. Wm. UNDERWOOD, Jr." was not the son of Col. Wm. UNDERWOOD. He was son of Unknown Underwood and Elizabeth (-----) Underwood (Underwood) Combs.
Often the suffixes "Sr." and "Jr." were used for two people, with the same name, living nearby each other. They were not necessarily related at all, or might have been only distantly related.
When the correct identities are known, we understand that Elizabeth relinquished her dower in order to secure the land for her sons, William Underwood, Jr., John Combs, and William Combs (Charles was possibly not born by that date, or was not her son).
Archdale apparently married twice.
- He married, as his 1st, to an Unknown wife.
- He married between 1662 and 1666, as his 2nd, and as her 3rd, to Elizabeth (Unknown) (Underwood) Underwood, widow of an Unknown (possibly also William) Underwood, Major William Underwood of Rappahannock County Virginia (d c. 1662). She seems to have had a son, William Underwood, Jr. by her first marriage to an Unknown Underwood. He was Archdale's step-son (see below).
Children of Archdale and Elizabeth (Unknown) (Underwood) (Underwood) Combs (likely more children):
- John Combs b c. 1662-3, d 1716
- William Combs (-1718)
- (possibly?) Charles Combs poss b after 14 Nov 1674 (date of relinquishment of dower in return for 600 acres for sons)
This transcription is found on the Archdale Combs page by the Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group:
On 7 Jun 1666, Archdall COMBE gifted his "sone in Law" William UNDERWOOD, Jr. 2 cows, a heifer and 1500 pds. of "good sound Tobacco" to be in the care of Archdall COMBE himself until "the donee come of age to chuse him a guardian." (Old Rappa. DB 3:93-94)
"Son-in-law" was often used to describe a step-son.
The following has been claimed as a child of ArchdaleCombs, without citation (and was a contemporary of Archdale):
- Abraham Combs b c. 1642, d 1684/5
Death and Legacy
Archdale's death date and even the place of death are unknown. According to the Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group, his death place could have been Old Rappahannock Co., Stafford Co., Maryland, or England.
Archdale probably died in about 1684, because his sons, John and William, were assigned apprenticeships in that year. He certainly died after March 1677/8 when he witnessed documents and probably before 7 May 1684 when his son, Charles, was assigned an apprenticeship.
- Note: Archdale Combs land history/seal
- Note: Archdale Combs
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group, Archdale Combs (1640?-1684?) USGenNet accessed January 11, 2015
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group, "John Combe, Citizen, Draper, Merchant & Adventurer and Margaret Archdale, His Wyfe" USGenNet accessed January 14, 2015
- Source: S-1734746729 Repository: #R-1782501651 Title: Family Data Collection - Deaths Author: Edmund West, comp. Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001. Note: APID: 1,5771::0
- Repository: R-1782501651 Name: Ancestry.com Address: http://www.Ancestry.com Note:
- Source: S-1734903621 Repository: #R-1782501651 Title: U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 Author: Yates Publishing Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.Original data - This unique collection of records was extracted from a variety of sources including family group sheets and electronic databases. Originally, the information was derived Note: APID: 1,7836::0
- Source: S-1734903644 Repository: #R-1782501651 Title: Family Data Collection - Births Author: Edmund West, comp. Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001. Note: APID: 1,5769::0
- Source: S-1739074994 Repository: #R-1782501651 Title: Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. Note: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created. Page: Ancestry Family Tree Data: Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=47674996&pid=344
- Thank you to the Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group for the excellent research, using primary documents, and for publishing it online.
This page has been edited according to Style Standards adopted January 2014. Descriptions of imported gedcoms for this profile are under the Changes tab.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- Combs or Combe LNAB? Feb 27, 2015.
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Archdale by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Rick Combs - Family Tree DNA yDNA 111 markers
Family Tree DNA kit 266106
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Cynthia B, Rick Combs, and Rodney Gross. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On March 5, 2015 at 23:09GMT Rodney Gross wrote:
On March 5, 2015 at 21:38GMT Shirley Dalton wrote:
On March 5, 2015 at 21:06GMT Shirley Dalton wrote:
On March 5, 2015 at 17:42GMT Rodney Gross wrote:
On March 5, 2015 at 16:49GMT Shirley Dalton wrote:
On March 1, 2015 at 03:03GMT Shirley Dalton wrote:
On February 28, 2015 at 23:54GMT Rodney Gross wrote:
On February 28, 2015 at 23:54GMT Rodney Gross wrote:
On January 15, 2015 at 16:08GMT Cynthia B wrote:
These profiles definitely represent the same person. Question is the spelling and thus, the direction of the merge INTO the "correct" spelling. If the decision is for Combe, then the others will both go into this one Combs-443 as the lowest number.
On January 15, 2015 at 16:05GMT Cynthia B wrote:
These profiles definitely represent the same person. Question is the spelling and thus, the direction of the merge INTO the "correct" spelling.
Archdale is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 22 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 49 degrees from Lisa Kudrow, 29 degrees from Kurt Vonnegut and 13 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.