Clair Zarges: David was my mother's younger brother.
He was the youngest of thirteen children. (1)
The family name had been changed from Crabb to Crabtree in Probate Court, Piscataquis County, State of Maine, Oct. 4, 1910. (2)
He appears as "Ira David Crabtree [David Crabtree]" in the 1940 U.S. Census, an 11 year old 5th grader, living in Ludlow, Aroostook, Maine with his parents, four older siblings, and a nephew, Ivan. The household consisted of: David A Crabtree 64, Edith Crabtree 60, Beacher Crabtree 37, Jessie Crabtree 35, Lois Crabtree 16, Faith Crabtree 14, Ira David Crabtree 11, Ivan McClean [McLellan] 4. (7)
His Social Security No. was 004-24-2092. (6)
He was a U.S. Navy Veteran. (3,4)
David married Muriel L. Brennan 17 Feb 1951. (8)
David and Muriel's son, Timothy Lynn Crabtree, was born in San Francisco 7 Dec 1952.
Their daughter, Kathleen Ann was born in San Francisco on 3 Nov 1958.
The marriage ended some time before 1959, when David married a second time. David was married two more times, four marriages in all. (1) Harris-837 14:11, 29 January 2014 (EST)All this needs verification.
David lived in Marin County, California for many years, working as a realtor and belonging to the Marin County Realtors Association. (9)
Together with Barney G. Glaser, he wrote and published a book, How to Make Money Safely - Second Deeds of Trust. (10)
He died 23 Sep 1974, and was buried at Cypress Hill Memorial Park, Petaluma, Sonoma County, California. (3, 4)
His epitaph reads "HA 1 US Navy." (3)
His obituary read: "David J. Crabtree of Petaluma, longtime Marin real estate man and loan broker, died in a local hospital yesterday after suddenly collapsing at his home at 2515 Eastman Lane. He was 45.
Crabtree was the author of "How to Make Money Safely - Second Deeds of Trust." During the 27 years he lived in San Rafael he was president of S and C Home Loans at 4340 Redwood Highway.
He was a native of Beaconsfield, New Brunswick, Canada, who served in the [Navy] during World War II.
He was a member of the Marin County Realtors Association.
Crabtree is survived by his wife, Gail Crabtree of Petaluma, a son, Timothy Crabtree, and a daughter, Cathleen Crabtree; two stepsons, Douglas and Gary Frank; a brother, the Rev. Clifford Crabtree of Iowa; and eight sisters, Elva Harris of Novato, Mrs David [Blakely] of Long Beach, Lois [Stockson] of Maine, Mrs. Donald McLeod of Canada, Mrs. Guy Nickerson, Mrs. Eugene Middleton, Mrs. Ed Bither, and Mrs. Joseph Ariole, all of Connecticut.
Funeral will be at 11 AM Thursday at the Parent Funeral Chapel in Petaluma with the Rev. Marvin Barbee of the First Assembly of God Church officiating. Interment will be in Cypress Hill Memorial Park. The family prefers memorial contributions to the church."
2. Record from the Probate Court, State of Maine, County of Piscataquis, 4 Oct 1910; copy in my possession 12/12/2013, Clair Harris Zarges; sent to me by Duane E. Crabtree, son of Talmage Dewitt Crabb in an email dated 30 July 2001.
3. Billion Graves for David J Crabtree, Jr.: http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/person/2656380. Accessed 29 Jan 2014.
4. Find a Grave for David J. Crabtree: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Crabtree&GSfn=David+&GSmn=J&GSby=1928&GSbyrel=in&GSdy=1974&GSdyrel=in&GSst=6&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=109654812&df=all&. Accessed 29 Jan 2014.
5. California Death Index: Place: Sonoma; Date: 23 Sep 1974; Social Security: 005181460. Ancestry.com. California, Death Index, 1940-1997 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000. Original data: State of California. California Death Index, 1940-1997. Sacramento, CA, USA: State of California Department of Health Services, Center for Health Statistics.
6. Number: 004-24-2092; Issue State: Maine; Issue Date: Before 1951. Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-Current [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2011. Original data: Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Social Security Administration.
7. Year: 1940; Census Place: Ludlow, Aroostook, Maine; Roll: T627_1472; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 2-60. Ancestry.com. 1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012
8. Ancestry.com. California, Marriage Index, 1949-1959 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Original data: California Department of Health and Welfare. California Vital Records—Vitalsearch (www.vitalsearch-worldwide.com). The Vitalsearch Company Worldwide, Inc., Pleasanton, California.
9. Obituary: "David J. Crabtree Dies at 45." Independent Journal, [San Rafael, California], Tuesday, Sept. 24, 1974.
10." A Broker's Look at Second Deeds; Private Investments on the Rise." Reprinted article from the Independent Journal, [San Rafael, California], Saturday, Nov. 6, 1971.
- ↑ Entered by Clair Zarges.
Thanks to Clair Zarges for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Clair and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of David's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.