- Yelverton Crowell's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Puritan Great Migration.
This person migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
Yelverton Crowell was the founder of this family on the Cape. He was said to come from England, the name on the Plymouth records is Yelverton Crowe, but, all land records and church records after that time have a name ofo Crowell. Yelverton Crowell settled in the town of Yarmouth in 1640. He owned land in West Yarmouth where the name Crowell is still found on land records.
While many people have Yelverton's parents as John and Elisha, there are some that believe John was Yelverton's brother.
YELVERTON2 CROWELL (JOHN1) was born Abt. 1616 in England, and died 24 October 1683 in West Yarmouth, Barnstable, Ma. He married ELIZABETH HAMMOND Abt. 1636 in Yarmouth, Barnstable, Ma., daughter of WILLIAM HAMMOND and ELIZABETH PENN. She was born Abt. 1620 in West Yarmouth, Barnstable, Ma, and died November 1703 in West Yarmouth, Barnstable, Ma.
Notes for YELVERTON CROWELL
YELVERTON CROWELL married ELIZABETH (unknown) He is found in the records of Yarmouth MA on Cape Cod as early as 1640. His will is dated 23 Dec 1681 and proved 8 Mar 1683/4. It is reported that he died "suddenly" 24 Oct 1683. Elizabeth died Nov 1703. Yelverton may be the son of John Crowell who died in Yarmouth MA 7 Jan 1673; married to Elishua (unknown).
His will: To all people to whome these presente shall come I Elverton Crowell alias Crow of Yarmouthe in ye Colony of Plymouth in New England the twenty third day of December 1681. Ioe constitute, ordaine & appoint my youngest son living sole exeutor to this my last will & testament and I ye sd Ylverton Crowell doe give to him my sd son Thomas Crowell alias Crow all my lands, houses, meadows, marshes, cattle, horses, mares, swine & household stuffs with whatever estate belongs or anyways appertaines to me the said Yelverton Crowell in Yarmouth or elsewhere to him & said Thomas Crowell his heirs and assigners for ever, my will is alo that my sd son Thomas Crowell shall discharge ye rights of my burial and pay all my full debts & maintain my loving wife his mother so long as she livst both in healthe & sickness finding and allowing her what ever is or may be needful for comfortable subsistance according to his ability and also my will is that my said son Thomas Crowell doe pay to my three sons, John, Edward and Samuel five shillings a year in silver money and to my grandchild Elizabeth Gifford two cowes, two swine of about halfe a year old & one feather bed & bolsterr further my will is that in case Thomas my said executon should by providence of God dye before my wife his mother & leave no will, then my will is that my estate be improved for her maintenance so long as she livst, otherwise I leave my loving wife to maintenance of my said son Thomas as above said. (signed) Yelverton Crowell alias Crow: John Thacher whoe made oathe here unto at Court House of Plymouth the 8th of March 1683/84; Rebeckah Thacher on ye oath of Mr. John Thatcher.
Children of YELVERTON CROWELL and ELIZABETH HAMMOND
- i. THOMAS3 CROWELL, b. 9 May 1649, Cape Cod, Barnstable, Ma; d. 22 April 1722, Cape Cod, Barnstable, Ma.
- ii. JOHN CROWELL, b. 1642, Yarmouth, Barnstable, Ma.
- iii. EDWARD CROWELL, b. 1644. d. 1688 Woodbridge, NJ. m Mary Lathrop 16 Jan. 1673
- iv. SAMUEL CROWELL, b. 1646.
- v. ELIZABETH CROWELL, b. 9 May 1649.
- vi. YELVERTON CROWELL.
- vii. ELISHUA CROWELL.
- viii. MARY CROWELL.
- Date: 20/24 Oct 1683
- Place: Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts
- Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Showing Three Generations Of Those Who Came Before May, 1692, On The Basis Of Farmer's Registar, Volume I, page 480
- Inez Fowler Johnson, The McCallum Family, page 59 - Will of Yelverton Crow
- Levi Crowell, John Crowe & His Descendants, Genealogy
- Simeon L. Deyo (editor), Barnstable Co
- Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900, Source number: 118.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: JOE
- Edmund West, comp.. Family Data Collection - Births, Family Records
- The Cape Cod Library of Local History & Genealogy.
- The Crowell Family of Yarmouth - Page 1094. death of Yelverton, suddenly the 24 October 1693.
- "Trying to sort out those Crow Crowe Crowell Families' accessed at <http://www.gloverfamily.com/crowell/crowell2.htm />
- FROM CHESTER COWEN GENEALOGICAL RESEARCH PROJECT ENDING 2008
- Immigrated to New England 1634 on "Caledonia"
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Yelverton's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Scott Ledbetter, Lydia Vierson, Fontaine Wiatt, John Putnam, and Diane Kuykendall. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 27 Jan 2014 at 23:47 GMT Robin Lee wrote:
Yelverton is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 18 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 25 degrees from Michael Phelps, 26 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.