- Samuel Curtis's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Samuel Curtis, resided at Crewkerne in Somersetshire, England. He was a member of the Friends Society and a clothier by trade. He immigrated to Salem County, New Jersey, where he purchased land and called it Crewkerne Wood.
He died between 11 April 1679, and 8 Jan 1680. His widow Elizabeth Curtis, may have been a Donne.
"1679, April 11. Deed. John Adams, of New Salem, and wife Elizabeth to Samuel Curtis, late of Crewkerne, County of Somersett, clothier, for 500 acres, henceforth to be called Crewkerne Wood, in the half allotment of Allawayes, between Champney's plantation, Allawayes Creek and Adams Creek." (NJA-21:567)
"1680/1, Jan. 8, Deed. Samuel Curtice, son, heir and executor of Samuel Curtis of Crewkerne, County of Somersett, clothier, dec'd, and of his dec'd mother Elizabeth Curtis to William Warner, of Crewkerne Wood, planter, and wife Jane, sister of grantor, for one-half of the tract called Crewkerne Wood, between Edward Champney's on the west and Roger Huckings on the east, 500 acres to be henceforth called West Crewkerne Wood; the whole bought by grantor's father of John Adams and wife Elizabeth, April 11, 1679." (NJA-21:575)
A 20 Jan 1684/5 deed explains that a 2000 acre tract was granted by John Fenwick to John Adams and wife, who sold the 500 acres to Samuel Curtice, clothier, who bequeathed it to his son Samuel and daughter Joane, wife of William Warner.
=== Children ===
- Elizabeth Curtis b 5.5m.1650
- Samuel Curtis b. 13.1m.1651; died 1651
- Samuel Curtis b. 22.2m.1652; d. 1713
- Joane Curtis b. 8.3m.1655; m. William Warner
- Roger Curtis b. 13.3m.1657; d 14.3m.1660
- John Curtis b. 7.12m.1659; d. 6.8m.1662
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Documents Relating to the Colonial History of the State of New Jersey. Volume XXI. Calendar of Records in the Office of the Secretary of State 1664-1703. Paterson, N.J.: 1899
- ↑ Genealogies of Pennsylvania Families from the Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine. Volume III: Stauffer-Zerbe .Section: George Trenchard of Salem, N.J., and Descendants:... Accessed at Ancestry jan2015
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Samuel's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Allen Minix and Kim Ostermyer. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.