- Note 1: There are many sources documenting Reuben's birthdate, but still trying to find documentation of his parents.
Note 2: How can his birth occur after the death of his mother? Also his mother would have been 66 when he was born - something is wrong here.
- Note 3: was Reuben Dalton of Grayson County VA and Grainger County TN, who died in 1823 in Grainger County, the son of Timothy Dalton of Bedford County VA?
There were two Reuben Daltons along the Staunton River in Bedford and Pittsylvania Counties VA in the 1770s, one of age by 1772, the other a minor in 1778. Although both of these Reubens disappear after 1778, it is doubtful that a Reuben who was still a minor in 1778 was the father of Enos. </ref> The Reuben in Pittsylvania County of age by 1772 would be far more likely to be his father. The minor Reuben who was in Bedford County and whose affairs were in control of the courts and parish board in 1778 was likely the son of Timothy Dalton of Bedford. To read more about this controversy, see: Myths of the Daltons: Parents of Reuben DaltonPrepared by James F. Klumpp with research assistance from Melanie Crain and others and critical review by Sharon Wehry. Last revised 14 March 2001
He married Elizabeth "Betsy" Shockley in 1789. He died in Grainger County, Tennessee in August 19, 1822. He is buried in Mount Pleasant Church Cemetery.
Reuben Dalton is buried in the woods near the Bluff Davidson graveyard near Thornhill, Tennessee. Reuben Dalton it is said was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He did serve as an Ensign in Captain Jonathan Isham's Company in the Virginia State Militia in the 1780's.
- Name: Reuben Dalton
- Father: Timothy Dalton
- Mother: Elizabeth Phillips
- Birth Date: 1752
- State: VA
- Country: USA
Residence and Property
Reuben acquired 170 acres in the area know as Cranberry Creek that would eventually be included in Carroll County, Virginia. His property adjoined Ogle and John Witcher who would be the father or grandfather of Matilda Witcher who married Carter Dalton. One of his neighbors was Richard Shockley, who would become his father in law, and John Dodson, who was the grandfather of Samuel Dodson Jr who married Mary Polly Dalton, Reuben's daughter. Also nearby were John Williams Jr., and William Williams. William Williams was the father of Rebecca Williams, the wife of Enos Dalton. Reuben was active in County affairs serving as constable and surveyor of the road in the new County of Grayson. Reuben sold 100 acres of his land in 1797 to Samuel Brown, and the balance in 1801 to Thomas Ogle Jr. He moved his family out of Virginia into Tennessee about 1801. He is listed on the tax list in Tennessee as owning 200 acres of land for the year 1797, but may have stayed on in Virginia until 1801, when he sold the remainder of his land. 
The 1810 census for Reuben Dalton Sr was: 12101-11101. This indicates that living in his household were 1 male born between 1800-1810, 2 males born between 1794-1800, 1 male born between 1784-1794, 1 male over 45, who was probably Reuben Dalton Sr. The female included 1 female born between 1800-1810, 1 female born between 1794-1800, 1 female born between 1784-1794, and 1 female over 45 who was probably Elizabeth Shockley.
- Name: Reuben Dalton
- Gender: Male
- Birth Place: VA
- Birth Year: 1752
- Spouse Name: Elizabeth Shockely (Shockley) 1757 – 1823
- Spouse Birth Place: VA
- Spouse Birth Year: 1757
- Children: (from Ancestry.com; unverified)
- Jessie Dalton
- Enos Dalton 1772 – 1850
- Timothy Dalton 1783 – 1872
- Elizabeth Dalton 1784 – 1848
- Ann Dalton 1786 – 1848
- Reuben J Dalton Jr 1791 – 1820
- John Meredith Dalton 1795 – 1834
- Meredith Dalton 1795 – 1834
- Mary Polly Dalton 1798 – 1837
- Matilda Dalton 1799 – 1899
- Carter T Dalton 1800 – 1823
- Hannah Ann Dalton
Reuben Sr. also treated his daughters differently. He gave fifty cents each to his daughters, Polly Dotson and Elizabeth Rucker, but to his daughter, Anne Harrell (Harville) he gave a saddle worth -$18 to be paid by Meredith, and he directed Carter to pay Anne Harville a horse worth $40. Hannah Dalton, his other daughter, was not mentioned by name, but her son, William Shockley, was. Hannah was married to Booker Shockley. Reuben Sr. instructed his wife, Elizabeth, to give William Shockley a horse worth $30 or $30 worth of some other property if Elizabeth died before William reached the age of 21.
- 1810: Grainger County, TN
- 1830: Grainger, Tennessee, United States
- Cemetery: Mount Pleasant Church Cemetery
- Place: Thorn Hill, Grainger County, Tennessee, USA
- ↑ Dalton Archives: Reuben Dalton DGS member Archie Dalton of Tennessee has sent a very long pedigree for the DGS Archives. Because of widespread interest in the Pittsylvania, VA Grainger, TN Daltons, Archie has given permission to print the following introduction to his family tree. He also acknowledges contributions from Don Hadrick.
- ↑ Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Edmund West, comp.. Family Data Collection - Births [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001.
- ↑ Reflections on Timothy Dalton, Grainger County, Tennessee. Dalton Genealogical Society Journal April 1999, Don Hadrick (DHadrick@aol.com)
- ↑ Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
- ↑ FindAGrave: Reuben Dalton:Memorial ID:10744667
- WikiTree profile Dalton-1243 created through the import of nash.ged on Nov 7, 2011 by Kim Baltz.
- WikiTree profile Dalton-1571 created through the import of Vicki Norman family tree v2 (3).ged on Aug 1, 2012 by Vicki Norman.
- WikiTree profile Dalton-1811 created through the import of Riddle Family Tree.ged on Dec 3, 2012 by Jim Riddle. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Jim and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Reuben's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Vicki Norman, Beverly Swanson, and Jim Riddle. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On June 1, 2015 at 12:57GMT Vicki Norman wrote:
On June 18, 2014 at 18:58GMT Vicki Norman wrote:
Reuben is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 21 degrees from Mark Hamill, 17 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.