Categories: Parents of US Presidents.
- Sara Delano was the mother of the thirty-second President of the United States, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. She is the daughter of Warren Delano and Catherine Lyman
- Husband: James Roosevelt
- Wife: Sara Delano
- Child: President Franklin Delano Roosevelt
- Date: 07 Oct 1880
- Place: Algonac, Newburgh, Orange, New York
- Sara was born at the Delano Estate in the Town of Newburgh, New York to Warren Delano, Jr. and Catherine Robbins Lyman. Sara had ten siblings, two of whom died as small children. Three more died in their twenties.
- In 1862, Sara, her mother Catherine, and six brothers and sisters traveled to Hong Kong on the clipper ship Surprise, where they joined Warren Delano who had resumed his business of trading in opium, then still legal. ↵On board ship, Sallie enjoyed spending time in the sailmaker's loft listening to the sailmaker tell sea stories. Her brother Fred discovered Catherine's journal of the voyage many years later, in 1928.
- Sara Delano was described as a slender 5'10" (178 cm), and an intelligent debutante beauty in her youth.
- She lived to see her only child elected President of the United States three times. His first election took place about thirteen years after the Nineteenth Amendment was ratified, and Sara became the first Presidential mother to vote for her son. Sara continued to support her son's career, even standing in as First Lady on several occasions. She was always prepared to say something positive about her son, and remained highly protective of him and his family.
- Sara Delano Roosevelt, with the President at her side, died on September 7, 1941, 230 days after her son's third inauguration as President, exactly three months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and two weeks before her 87th birthday. ↵"Minutes after her death, the largest oak tree at Hyde Park toppled to the ground. It was a clear windless day." (Quoted from; The American Experience: FDR (Part IV; "The Juggler" 1940-1945) (1994), Written & Directed by David Grubin).
- The funeral was held at her home in Springwood, which is located in Hyde Park, New York. Her memory is commemorated with the Sara Delano Roosevelt Park in New York City's Lower East Side, which was dedicated during her lifetime, in 1934. 
- Source: S133 Abbreviation: Chub, Methiable (David Cheney, Columbus) Title: Chub, Methiable (David Cheney, Columbus) Publication: David E. Cheney, Columbus, Ohio, descendant of Ebenezer Cheney and Sarah Jones. Paranthetical: Y
- Source: S179 Abbreviation: www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/children Title: www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/children Text: www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/children, accessed March 13, 2007 Paranthetical: Y
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Sara's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Doug Coldwell, Julie Ozier, Allan Morton, and Lindsey Bowling. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 15 Jun 2015 at 21:55 GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On 7 Dec 2013 at 19:28 GMT Maggie N. wrote:
On 18 Dec 2012 at 01:40 GMT Ed Burke wrote:
On 21 Nov 2012 at 06:41 GMT Arik Russell wrote:
Sara is 12 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 28 degrees from Michael Phelps, 26 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 11 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.