|King of Scots
9 December 1165 - 8 July 1249
Alexander II was the only son of the Scottish king William the Lion and Ermengarde of Beaumont.He was born at Haddington, East Lothian.He was knighted by John of England at Clerkenwell Priory in 1213, after spending some time in England. He succeed to the kingdom on the death of his father on 4 December 1214, he was crowned at Scone, on 6 December 1214.He married Joan of England on the 21 June 1221, at York Minster.Alexander was twenty three years old . Joan was almost eleven yeas old . They had no children. Joan died at Havering-atte-Bower in 1238, and was buried at Tarrant Crawford Abbey in Dorset.Alexander remarried, on 15 May 1239 his second wife was Marie de Coucy.
- Heraldy - THE ROYALTY OF SCOTLAND
- Medren-Scotland - Alexander Dunkeld
- Undiscovered Scotland - The House of Dunkeld
- New World Encyclopedia - Alexander 111 of Scotland
- Wikipedia - Alexander II of Scotland
- Wikipedia - House of Dunkeld
- Google Books - Alexander II: King of Scots 1214-1249 By Richard Oram
- Google Books - Historical Dictionary of the British Monarchy By James Panton
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Alexander II's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Terry Wright, Tim Perry, Katherine Patterson, Wendy Hampton, Lindsay Coleman, Fontaine Wiatt, and Adam McQuery. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.