BiographyStephen S. Dyer was born in New Brunswick, Can, probably in Blissfield Parish along the SW Branch of the Miramichi River. Stephen's son Sigel Dyer told the 1900 U.S.census taker that his father (Stephen S.) was born in "Can (Scotch)". Stephen's death certificate shows father born "Mirmichi, New Brunswick, Can". That he is the son of Jane S. Dyer is shown in the probate petition for administration by Stephen S. Dyer, who "represents that he is the son of Said Jane Dyer deceased:..". [ copy of document in possession of JWP ] His parents were farmers on land in the area. At the time of Stephen's birth they apparently farmed the Lots #7 and 8, Blissfield Parish, Northumberland Co., New Brunswick, Can. These lots were on the "Queen's Road" right abutting the River, a few miles downstream from Doaktown, Northumberland County.
- Date: 21 JUL 1924
- Place: Cedar, Anoka, Mn
- Date: 23 JUL 1924
- Place: Old Bethel Cemetery, Bethel, Anoka, Mn
- 1851 New Brunswick, Can Census - Northumberland Co.. LDS Film 517265. Parish of Blissfield shows Stephen as a 5 year old Son of John B. Dyer and wife Jane S.
- Louise M. Bamford, a cousin, says Stephens middle name is Silas. She said she found this in her
- extensive Mitchell family research, but does not know where.
- 1846 - 1866 - Stephen probably lived on the land with his family until they left for Minnesota when he was about 20 years old. See notes with father, John B. Dyer.
- 1865 - Granddaughter Helen Romano's notes say Stephen "came to Minnesota with his parents and
- sisters in 1865 (probably incorrect year, see below). He built roads in the area. He was kicked by a
- horse and was crippled the rest of his life and unable to work."
- 1865 - There is no Anoka Co. 1865 census at the Minn. History Center.
- 1866 - Report filed 7 May 1866, Stephen appears on a Blissfield Parish tax list of "Names of transient
- men in the Parish of Blissfield liable to be taxed". He is charged 44 cents poll tax, has $36 Income, and a total tax amount of 80 cents. [PANB RS153 C7/14 Tax Assessment List Blissfield 1866] Because he was not assessed any property tax, he was not a land owner.
- 1866-1867 Was it Stephen Dyer who was the "Dyer who convinced" Stephen Jones Jackson (of Loon
- Bay,NB) to move to Royalton,MN ? They were 2nd cousins.
- 1867 - A document "Proof Required Under Homestead Acts May 20th 1862 and June 21, 1866", filed by John Doherty and Elisha Day (I believe they were in Anoka County by 1856) swearing to their knowing Stephen S. Dyer for 6 1/2 years on 16th October 1873, suggests strongly that Stephen was in Minnesota by April 1867. Doherty and Day, in the same document state that Jane Dyer "entered upon and made settlement on said land on the 2d day of January 1867." So perhaps Stephen, at age 20, came a few months after his mother.[National Archives Record Group #49, Taylor's Falls, MN Homestead file #462].
- 1870 US Census,Minnesota,Anoka Co.. LDS. LDS Film 517265. Minnesota Historical Society, 345 Kellog Boulevard West, St. Paul, Minnesota, 55102-1906, Microfilm #830,421. Town of Bethel, Anoka Co., P 2, Dwelling 16, Family 18 Dyar, Stephen age 23, M,W,Farmer, $1000 Real estate, $475 Pers. Prop., b. New Brunswick, Can, Father & Mother Foreign Born.
- 1875 Minnesota Census - Anoka Co.. LDS Film 517265. Stephen Dyer, 28, born N.B.
- 1874 - This Homestead Certificate No. 462 (Application 379) says, in part: "the claim of Stephen S. Dyer, Administrator for the heirs of Jane Dyer deceased, has been established and duly consummated in conformity to the law for the West half of the North west quarter the North East quarter of the North west quarter and the North west quarter of the South West quarter of section eight; in Township thirty-three of Range twenty three in the District of Lands subject to the sale at Taylors Falls Minnesota containing one hundred and sixty acres. ....... Given under my hand at the CITY OF WASHINGTON, the fifth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy four ........ By the President: (sig) U.S. Grant"
- 1875 - MN Census shows Stephen Dyer age 28 b. NB, father b. Maine, mother b. NB, with wife Roxie
- age 31, b. Penn, father b. Ireland, mother b. NY; Roland age 3, and Jane B. age 1.
- 9 June 1880 - US Census MN Index vol 1, ED 46, Sh 6, L 16 on 9 June 1880 lists:
- Dyer, Stephen S. age 33, b. NB
- Dyer, Roxana wife , 25, b. PA
- Dyer, Roland Son, 8, b. MN
- Dyer, Jane daughter, 6, b. MN
- Dyer, Franz S. son, 3, b. MN
- 4 June 1885- 1885 MN State Census, Anoka Co., Bethel:
- S. S. Dyer, 38 M W b. NB father NOT foreign born, mother foreign born.
- Roxie M. Dyer, 32 F W b. PAfather & mother foreign born
- Roland J. Dyer, 13 M W b. MN father foreign born
- Jennie Dyer, 11 F W b. MN father foreign born
- Cigle G. Dyer, 8 M W b. MN father foreign born
- Malindy Dyer, 3 F W b. MN father foreign born
- 28 May 1887 - Mr. & Mrs. Stephen Dyer attended a meeting at Cooper School to vote on building a
- Methodist Church and to select a site. Church was dedicated May 3, 1891. In 1931 the Minn. Highway
- Dept. moved the church back. In 1946 a basement was dug. As late as the 1950's someone, usually
- Neil Atkins, had to stoke up the wood and coal burning furnace early on Sunday mornings. In 1967 the
- Highway Dept. announced plans to widen the highway. A new church was built just west of the original.
- First service was held in new church December 21, 1969. [Anoka County Minnesota -pub. by Anoka Co. Historical Soc., 1982; FHL US/CAN 977.665 H2a, p 163]
- 1888 - "Anoka County Minnesota 1888 Plat Map", Publ & donated by Lucille Elrite and Darlene Levens
- for the Anoka County Genealogical Society, 1994.Page 6, Bethel Township: S.S. Dyer, Sect 8, 40 acres.
- 13 June 1895 - MN State Census Anoka Co., Bethel:
- Stephen S. Dyer, 47 M W, b. NB, MN res. 26 y, 11 m.; Enumeration district res 26y 11m; farmer; father & mother foreign born
- Roxie M. Dyer, 41 F W, b. PA, father foreign born
- Roland J. Dyer, 23 M W, b. MN
- Abbie J. Mitchell, 20 F W, b. MN
- Sigil G. Dyer, 18 M W, b. MN
- Melinda Dyer, 13 F W, b. MN
- Roger Dyer, 5 M W, b. MN
- 1895 - The 1895 MN Census says he has been resident of the state and enumeration district 26y 11m.
- So this says he came in 1868. The 1900 US Census says arrived 1866. The 1905 MN Census says he's been resident 39 years, so he came in 1866. His wife Roxy 47 yrs - arrived in 1858. The 1914 Farmers Almanac says he's been in the County 49 years - an 1865 arrival. In any case he certainly did not arrive with his father in 1856, and was in N.B. as late as May 1866.
- 1905 Minnesota Census - Anoka County. LDS Film 517265. Stephen S. Dyer, 58, born Can.
- Old Bethel Cemetary. Unpublished. p7. Joseph W. Pehoushek, Punta Gorda, FL, From City Hall Records. Date of entry: 2 May 1997. Sec 1, Blk 5, Bay 0, Lot 0; deceased Stephen S. Dyer; b. 1846; d. 1924; bur. 23 Jul 1924; spouse Roxie M.; place of death Bethel; Undertaker - E S Mitchell, Bethel
- 1924 - Stephen died of uremia and chronic nefritis. The Undertaker was E.S. Mitchell, probably a cousin. Buried in Old Bethel Cemetery, located just east Hiway 65 right at the Itasca County line.
- State of Minn., Div. of Vital statistics. Death Record of Stephen S. Dyer. copy. Joseph W. Pehoushek, Punta Gorda, FL, #246, Reg. Book 5. Date of entry: 18 Apr 1990. Stephen S. Dyer, d. July 21, 1924 at Bethel, Anoka Co., MN; White, Male, Widowed; b. Sep 27, 1846, Mirmichee,New Brunswick, Can; Age 77y 9m 24d; Farmer; Father - John B. Dyer, bplace "don't know"; Mother - Jane S. Mitchell, bplace "don't know". Informant - Malinda Atkins, of Cedar,MN; Cause of death - uremia - 7 days, chronic Nefritis - 2 yrs; Burial at Bethel Cem 23 June 1924; E.S. Mitchell, Undertaker.
Birth, Marriage, Census, & Death Records
"Minnesota, State Census, 1875," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MKNH-MS4 : accessed 27 Sep 2014), Stephen Dyer, Bethel, Anoka, Minnesota; citing p. 93, line 19, volume A, State Library and Records Service, St.Paul; FHL microfilm 565717.
"United States Census, 1880," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZM1-3WS : accessed 27 Sep 2014), Stephen S Dyer, Bethel, Anoka, Minnesota, United States; citing sheet 60B, NARA microfilm publication T9.
"United States Census, 1900," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M995-G7V : accessed 06 Sep 2014), Steven S Dyer, Bethel Township, Anoka, Minnesota, United States; citing sheet 2B, family 32, NARA microfilm publication T623, FHL microfilm 1240756.
- Title: Burial Records, Old Bethel Cemetery, Anoka County, MN
- Author: Fran Bator
- Publication: City Hall Records
- Abbreviation: Burial Records, Old Bethel Cemetery, Anoka County, MN
- Note: Source Media Type: Civil Registry
- Master Listing Source: Y
Books & Letters
- Title: Descendants of Jones Dyer, Senior
- Author: Joseph W Pehousek, Punta Gorda, Fl
- Publication: October 1999, and Feb.2006
- Abbreviation: Descendants of Jones Dyer, Senior
- Note: NS116823
- Source Media Type: Manuscript
- Master Listing Source: Y
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Stephen's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages:
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.