- Oscar Ellis's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Clair Harris Zarges: Oscar was my great-grandfather.
Oscar was born about 21 Jan 1852. I used a birth date calculator to compute the date, figuring back from the date of death. (4)
Oscar was born in Smithfield, Maine, according to his daughter, Nellie's birth record (2); and also according to Oscar's Massachusetts Death Records.(4)
Oscar appears (as "Deasco J.") with his parents and siblings in the 1860 U.S. Federal Census, living in Rome, Kennebec, Maine. The family is listed as: Robert W Ellis (a farmer) 39, Ellanor Ellis 38, Thos R Ellis 12, Anna J Ellis 10, Deasco J Ellis 8, Hellen M Ellis 5, Henry H Ellis 3. (7)
In the 1875 Rhode Island State Census, Oscar is living in Woonsocket, Providence, Rhode Island, with his first wife, Julia. They live next door to Oscar's brother, Edward J. Ellis and his wife Profenda. Edward is a painter, and Oscar is a carpenter. Julia is 21, born in Maine in 1854. (8)
Oscar Ellis 23
Julia Ellis 21
In the 1880 U.S. Federal Census in in Marlborough, Middlesex, Massachusetts, an Oscar Ellis appears, age 27, born in Maine, single, a boarder, working in a shoe factory. The information was taken on 1 Jun 1880. (11) Harris-837 14:08, 6 March 2014 (EST) Is this our Oscar? See below* for another Oscar Ellis in 1880, in the census in Rhode Island.
- Again, in the 1880 U.S. Federal Census , Oscar, Julia, and her younger brother, Charles, are living in Woonsocket, Providence, Rhode Island. Oscar and Charles are both working as teamsters. Information was taken on 9 Jun 1880. (9)
Oscar Ellis 28
Julia E. Ellis 25
Charles B. Tupper 21
According to the 1900 Census: Oscar was born in Maine (as were both of his parents) and was living in a rented house in Worcester, Massachusetts with his second wife, Ellen M. Healey, and their family of four children at the time of the census. He worked in a livery stable.(1) (5)
When Oscar married Ellen, she had been previously married to Unknown Lynch. Oscar was 37 years old; Ellen was 26. (3)
Oscar's daughter Ellen M. Ellis' birth record gives Oscar's place of birth as Smithfield, Maine. (2)
Oscar died 22 Nov 1907, at 13 Bartlett St., Worcester, Massachusetts. The cause of death was given as endocarditis and nephritis, lasting the previous 6 months; the physician signing the certificate was Royal P. Watkins, of Worcester. Oscar was 55 years, 10 months, and 1 day old; his occupation was stable keeper. Both of his parents, Robert and Eleanor Rankins Ellis, were born in Smithfield, Maine, as was Oscar. Oscar was buried in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, on Nov. 25, 2007. Darius A. Putnam of Worcester was the undertaker. Information for the Return of a Death, Reg. 2511, was given by his widow, Mrs. Ellen Healey Ellis. (4)
Oscar is buried at Union Cemetery, North Smithfield, Providence County, Rhode Island, USA. Plot: unmarked. At the Find a Grave page for Oscar. there is this note: "Unmarked grave. Burial date used for date of death. Ref: 1 (From Worcester, put into tomb, 1st grave right front)." (10)
1. "United States Census, 1900," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M9B6-TTS : accessed 04 Dec 2013), Oscar J Ellis, Precinct 4 Worcester city Ward 8, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States; citing sheet , family 175, NARA microfilm publication T623, FHL microfilm 1240697.
2. "Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FXNN-Y31 : accessed 02 Jan 2014), Oscar J. Ellis in entry for Ellen M. Ellis, 1898.
3. Ancestry.com. Massachusetts, Marriage Records, 1840-1915 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Original data: Massachusetts Vital Records, 1840–1911. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts. Massachusetts Vital Records, 1911–1915. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts.
4. Ancestry.com. Massachusetts, Death Records, 1841-1915 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Original data: Massachusetts Vital Records, 1840–1911. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts. Massachusetts Vital Records, 1911–1915. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts.
5. Year: 1900; Census Place: Worcester Ward 8, Worcester, Massachusetts; Roll: 697; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 1782; FHL microfilm: 1240697. Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
6. Long Island Genealogy Birth Date Calculator: http://www.longislandgenealogy.com/birth.html. Accessed 29 Dec 2013.
7. Year: 1860; Census Place: Rome, Kennebec, Maine; Roll: M653_439; Page: 320; Image: 321; Family History Library Film: 803439. Ancestry.com. 1860 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
8. Ancestry.com. Rhode Island, State Censuses, 1865-1935 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Original data: Rhode Island State Census, 1865. Microfilm. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts.
9. Year: 1880; Census Place: Woonsocket, Providence, Rhode Island; Roll: 1216; Family History Film: 1255216; Page: 296A; Enumeration District: 142.
10. Find a Grave page for Oscar Ellis: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Ellis&GSiman=1&GScid=333961&GRid=61740287&. Accessed 4 Mar 2014.
11. Year: 1880; Census Place: Marlborough, Middlesex, Massachusetts; Roll: 540; Family History Film: 1254540; Page: 457B; Enumeration District: 401; Image: 0729. Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 1880 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.
- ↑ Entered by Clair Zarges.
Thanks to Clair Zarges for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Clair and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Oscar's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.