Clair Harris Zarges: Ellen "Nellie" was my great-aunt on my father's side. When I knew her she was in her early 50s. I found her to be quite terrifying, but I do remember her being a pretty good sport on a family trip to a working ranch in Arizona sometime in the 1950s.
At the time of the 1900 U.S. Census, Nellie was just two years old, living with her parents, her two older brothers, and her older sister (my great-grandmother) in a rented house in Worcester, Massachusetts. Her mother stayed at home; her father worked in a livery stable. (1)
Nellie's exact date of birth was May 23, 1898 in Worcester, Massachusetts. (2)
At the time of the 1910 Census, Nellie, age 11, is listed as stepdaughter in the household of [Farrington-328 | George Farrington]] (age 27), along with her mother, Ellen Healey Ellis Farrington (age 39), Edward (age 19), and Oscar. (age 17). They live in Worcester, Ward 7, Worcester County, Massachusetts. Nellie is in school. Her stepfather works as a fitter in a loom works, her mother is at home, and her brothers are both self-employed drivers of a grocery team.(3)
John Hayes and Ellen Ellis were married in Worcester in 1917 by Clergyman Thomas S. Donoghue. John's occupation was given as "clerk" and Ellen's as "at home." (4)
1. "United States Census, 1900," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M9B6-TT4 : accessed 04 Dec 2013), Ellen M Ellis in household of Oscar J Ellis, Precinct 4 Worcester city Ward 8, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States; citing sheet , family 175, NARA microfilm publication T623, FHL microfilm 1240697.
2. "Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FXNN-YQM : accessed 04 Dec 2013), Ellen M. Healey in entry for Ellen M. Ellis, 1898.
3. Year: 1910; Census Place: Worcester Ward 7, Worcester, Massachusetts; Roll: T624_633; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 1896; FHL microfilm: 1374646. Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.
4. "Massachusetts, State Vital Records, 1841-1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/23B3-L6D : accessed 04 Dec 2013), Ellen M Healy in entry for John M Hayes and Ellen M Ellis, 1917.
Thanks to Clair Zarges for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Clair and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Nellie's ancestors' mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.