- Ambrose Emery's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Ambrose Emery (James,Jonathan,John), son of James and Ruth (Watson) Emery [born February 25, 1739 in Dracut, Middlesex, Massachusetts ]; married Mrs. Catherine Foster of Pelham, N. H. He entered the intention of marriage with the town clerk of Dracut, July 17, 1762. He was a farmer and lived in Dracut. He married for his second wife Rebecca Yocum of Pennsylvania. She was born in 1746. They lived at Philadelphia and Thompsontown, Pa., and also in Mifflin Co. and Greene Co., Pa. He was a soldier in the British service in the French and Indian War, and was mustered into service Oct. 11, 1756, in Capt. Jonathan Butterfield's company. He was in the Crown Point expedition and was reported on one of the muster-rolls of his company as " killed or taken." This was a mistake, but he was wounded by an arrow. He was in the Boston "Tea Party." His home was within hearing of the battle of Brandywine and in one of the winter camps of General Washington's army, and his wife Rebecca cooked the soldiers' rations. He died near Jefferson, Greene Co., Pa., in 1824. She died there in 1843.
Children by first marriage, born in Dracut, Mass.:
609 i Sarah, b. March 14, 1762.
610 ii Ruth, b. Feb. 2, 1764.
611 iii Daniel, b. Nov. 2, 1765; d. there Dec. 25, 1765.
612 iv Lydia, b. April 12, 1769.
Children by second marriage, born in Philadelphia:
613 v John, b. Oct. 4, 1771.
614 vi Charles, d. there in childhood.
615 vii James, d. there in childhood.
616 viii Elizabeth, d. there in childhood.
617 ix Samuel, b. March 8, 1779.
618 X Clementine, b. Nov. 17, 1784.
619 xi Rebecca, b. 1786; d. unm. in Greene Co., Ind., in Sept., 1869.
620 xii Jonas, b. July 23, 1788.
621 xiii Ambrose, b. Nov. 23, 1790.
622 xiv Nathaniel, b. 1792; m. Elizabeth Botts in Greene Co., Pa., 1816; lived in Greene Co., Pa, and Cochecton Co., O. ; farmer; d. s. p. in Carlisle, 0., 1845. His wife d. a few years later.
623 XV Jesse, b. 1794.
- ↑ Rufus Emery, Genealogical Records of Descendants of John and Anthony Emery, of Newbury, Mass., 1590-1890, (Emery Cleaves, Salem Mass., 1890) pg. 27 (https://archive.org/details/genealogicalreco1890emer)
- ↑ Rufus Emery, Genealogical Records of Descendants of John and Anthony Emery, of Newbury, Mass., 1590-1890, (Emery Cleaves, Salem Mass., 1890) pg. 11
- ↑ Vital records of Dracut, Massachusetts, To The Year 1850, (Nehgs, Boston, 1907) pg. 47
Year: 1810; Census Place: Cumberland, Greene, Pennsylvania; Roll: 49; Page: 107; Image: 0193675; Family History Library Film: 00062.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Ambrose's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Grant Glover and Michelle Brooks. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.