"WALTER FITZOTHER, of Windsor, a Domesday tenant of lands in Berks, Bucks, Middlesex, Hants and Surrey, held a barony owing 15 or 20 knights' fees to the castle guard of Windsor, where he was Keeper of the Great Forest and castellan of the castle. He m. Beatrice. He was living in or after 1100."
- held a barony
- m. UNKNOWN.
- Maurice (d. after 1130).
- (dau) _____.
- m. Robert FitzWalter (father: Walter "the deacon").
- "Will Hall, Neatham Hundred and Malshanger, Chuteley Hundred in Hampshire, in Berkshire including in Ripplesmere Hundred and Nakedthorn Hundred, Stanwell in Middlesex/Surrey," (Domesday Book).
- 1078: Castellan of Windsor.
- 1066-1078: warden of Forests in Berkshire.
- Windsor of Stanwell.
- Fictional pedigree mashup seen here (including/up to Cosimo Gherardini).
Burke, J. (1833). .A General and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire, (Vol 2., pp. 300 - 301). H. Colburn and R. Bentley. Google Books.
Collins, A. (1756). Peerage of England: Containing a Genealogical and Historical Account of All the Peers of England, Now Existing... Their Descents and Collateral Lines: Their Births, Marriages, and Issues... Deaths, Places of Burial, Monuments, Epitaphs... Also Their Paternal Coats of Arms, Crests, Supporters and Mottos, (pp. 38-). W. Innys. Google Books.
Dwnn, M. (1846). Heraldic visitations of Wales and part of the Marches, between the years 1586 and 1613; ed. with notes by Samuel Rush Meyrick, p. 99. Google Books.
Lloyd, J.E. (1912). A History of Wales from the Earliest Times to the Edwardian Conquest], (Vol 2, pp. 767). Google Books.
The Peerage. Web.
Round, (1902). The Ancestor; a quarterly review of county and family history, heraldry and antiquities, (1), pp.120 - . Archive.org. eBook.
|European Aristocrats Source|
|Our main source for medieval genealogy in the European Aristocrats Project is the FMG database MEDIEVAL LANDS: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families by Charles Cawley,© Foundation for Medieval Genealogy & Charles Cawley, 2000-2016.|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Burke's Peerage, n.d., p. 2261
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Complete Peerage X:10, (transcribed by Dave Utzinger)
- ↑ Complete Peerage X:10, (transcribed by Dave Utzinger)
- ↑ Earls of Kildare gave Walter FitzOther a fictional Florentine pedigree through Dominus Otho di Gheraldini of Florence (Round, 1902).
- ↑ NOTES RE: alleged marriage to Gladys
- "Her marriage to Walter Fitz Other is indicated in many internet sources. However it is not backed by Burke's Peerage. Additionally her daughter Nesta is documented to be the wife of Walter's son Gerald Fitz Walter which would not have been likely if Gerald's mother were Gwladus. She may have been mother of some of Walter's children, instead of Beatrice?"
- Perhaps the answer to your above quandary is the possiblity that the Gladys/Gwladys that married Walter fitzOtho was not the dau of Rhywallon ap Cynfyn, Prince of Powys. Turton indicates Walter's wife was Gladys dau of Havallon ap Eynfyn Prince of North Wales (no further info on him). My notes do not show that Turton listed a second marriage for Walter to Beatrice.
- This, if true (& with Turton, that's a BIG if), would eliminate the problem of the son of Walter marrying the dau of Gwladus verch Rhiwallon.
- The mystery is that Turton, n.d. (p. 144), states that Walter's wife is Beatrice (agreeing with CP (X:10), AR (line 178-2) & BP (p. 1679)). I cannot find any other mention of Walter or Gladys verch Havallon in Turton's book, although I can't guarantee that it isn't there. I see that Mike Hofemann, who may be related to Curt, has the same information in his World Connect database (mhofemann) and uses Turton and Paul McBride as sources, yet "Ancestors of Paul McBride" states that Walter's wife is Beatrice. Maybe Turton & Paul McBride changed their pedigree, yet I don't think that Turton has been updated since 1928 when it was first published. I am eliminating Gladys/Gwladys as a 2nd wife of Walter until such time as a valid source indicates that it is so, since all four published sources seem surprisingly unanimous in stating that Walter's wife was Beatrice.
- Dwyn (1846), gives Nest, daughter of Rhys ap Tewdwr and Gwladus vh Rhiwallon, as the wife of Gerald of Windsor, son of Walter. No mention of a marriage between Gwladus and Walter.
- ↑ Line dies with the Hastings; Cawley (2006), does not record Robert as a known child of Walter FitzOther.
- ↑ "Nesta of Wales, daughter of RHYS ap Tudor Mawr King of Deheubarth [South Wales] & his wife Gwladus".
- ↑ 1086: tenant-in-chief [holding direct of the Crown] of lands in Berks, Bucks, Hants, Middx and Surrey at the time of the Domesday Survey (Burke's Peerage, n.d., p. 1679)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Burke, n.d., p. 1679
- ↑ CAUTION: The Stanwell branch is not related to the Westmoreland branch, i.e. -- Sir William, Baron Windsor, husband of Alice de Perrers (mistress of Edward III), is NOT a descendant of Walter FitzOther. Note that early secondary sources by Burke and Collins err in trying to mix the branches.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Walter's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Tracy Holt, and Jeffrey Steele. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 26 May 2016 at 20:41 GMT Unknown Unknown wrote:
On 25 May 2016 at 17:19 GMT Unknown Unknown wrote:
On 22 Oct 2014 at 15:58 GMT Andrew Lancaster wrote:
On 21 Oct 2014 at 00:08 GMT Darlene (Athey) Athey Hill wrote:
On 28 Sep 2014 at 15:17 GMT Andrew Lancaster wrote:
Walter is 27 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 29 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 37 degrees from Michael Phelps, 31 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 22 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.