- Joseph Fitz Randolph's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Joseph Fitz Randolph was born before March 1, 1656 at West Barnstable, Barnstable county, Plymouth Colony (now Massachusetts), 
Joseph died in June 1726 at Piscataway, Middlesex county, New Jersey.
Johannah (Hannah) Conger [Parents] was born on August 16, 1670 at Woodbridge, Middlesex Co, NJ. She was christened in 1670 at Woodbridge, Middlesex Co, NJ. She died on June 26, 1742 in Woodbridge, Middlesex Co, NJ. She married Joseph Fitz Randolph on 16 Jan 1687 in Woodbridge, Middlesex Co, NJ.
They had the following children:
- F i Hannah Fitz Randolph was born on 04 Feb 1688/1689. She died on 26 Jun 1742.
- M ii Joseph Fitz Randolph Jr was born on 11 Feb 1690/1691. He died in 1749/1750.
- F iii Mary Fitz Randolph was born on 03 Aug 1693.
- F iv Bethia Fitz Randolph was born on 20 Sep 1695. She died on 02 Sep 1757.
- F v Lydia Fitz Randolph was born on 04 Jan 1697. She died in 1758.
- M vi Moses Fitz Randolph was born on 09 Apr 1700. He died on 07 Apr 1759.
- M vii Jonathan Fitz Randolph was born on 15 Jun 1702.
- F viii Susanna Fitz Randolph was born on 23 Jun 1704.
- F ix Ruth Fitz Randolph was born on 11 Jun 1706. She died on 10 Sep 1776.
- F x Anna Fitz Randolph was born on 03 Sep 1708
- F xi Prudence Fitz Randolph was born on 30 Nov 1712. She died on 01 Dec 1732.
- M xii Isaac Fitz Randolph was born on 21 Apr 1716 in Piscataway, Middlesex Co, NJ
Another Biography version that needs to be merged with the one above
Joseph Fitz Randolph, the next oldest, born in 1656, was father of twelve children by his wife, Hannah Conger, a member of one of the Woodbridge families. None of this familiar name attained to greater usefulness in the Church and colony than their immediate descendants. To verify the statement would only require the mention of the heirs of his son, Joseph, who married Rebecca Drake; and his daughter, Hannah, who married Andrew Drake; and his son, Jonathan, whose wife was Margaret Manning; and his daughter, Prudence, who married Nathaniel Manning.
Modern Fitz Randolph genealogies cite Joseph's birth date as 1 March 1655/56 Old Style, which would mean 1 March 1656 New Style. The same genealogies cite Joseph's marriage to Joanna Conger at Woodbridge, NJ on Jan 16, 1687/8 (so Jan 16, 1688 New Style).
This surname had many different spellings, including Fitzrandle, Fittsrendolfe, or Fittsrandolfe, with FitzRandolph or Fitz Randolph emerging as the most common. Fitz Randolph is being recommended as the standard, recognizing though that in later years, Fitz sometimes became used as a middle name for sons and optional for daughters. In this Fitz Randolph family, Fitz appears to have been used by all family members as part of their surname: the Oris H.F. Randolph genealogy (referenced below) assumes this to be the case when listing the children in both the family in which Joseph is a child and the one in which he is the father. Variants of the name were used inconsistently in records, including Fitts Randle and Fitzrandolph. The current consensus is to use the surname Fitz Randolph. Please don't hesitate to contact the profile manager if you think this decision should be reviewed!
- Need additional original sources for birth, death, marriage, military records. Confirm consistency with census records.
- Need to confirm original entry for birth date and transcriptions.
- Genealogy of the Family of Longstreet Completed. Edward Mayes. Circa 1935. Privately published. Clark T. Thornton, editor. Reprinted 2009. Page 49.
- Clemens, William Montgomery. American Marriage Records Before 1699. Pompton Lakes, NJ, USA: Biblio Co., 1926.
- Edmund West, comp.. Family Data Collection - Births, Deaths, Individual Records (Source Citation: Birth year: 1655; Birth city: Barnstable; Birth state: MA)
- Heritage Consulting. The Millennium File. Salt Lake City, UT, USA: Heritage Consulting.
- Jackson, Ronald V., Accelerated Indexing Systems, comp.. New Jersey Census, 1643-1890. Compiled and digitized by Mr. Jackson and AIS from microfilmed schedules of the U.S. Federal Decennial Census, territorial/state censuses, and/or census substitutes
- Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
- Town of Piscataway First Baptist Church. "History of the First Baptist Church of Piscataway with an account of its bi-centennial..." Stelton, NJ: Unknown, 1889. Page 114
An earlier profile was created on 13 September 2010 through the import of 124-DeCoursey.ged.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Joseph by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Allan Thomas, Susan Shirey, David Mark Cordell, Michael Lewis, Leila Schutz, and Trish McLellan. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On March 17, 2014 at 09:43GMT Allan Thomas wrote:
Joseph is 10 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 15 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 44 degrees from Lisa Kudrow, 22 degrees from Kurt Vonnegut and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.