- Robert Fletcher's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Puritan Great Migration.
This person migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
Son of unknown father of Robert Fletcher and unknown mother of Robert Fletcher Husband of Sarah Fletcher Father of Grissell Kibby; Luke Fletcher; William Fletcher; Cary Fletcher; Francis Fletcher and 1 other
Robert Fletcher emigrated to Concord Massachusetts in the early 1630's. According to genealogist W. L. Holman, "He is said to have settled very early in Concord, a town some twenty miles northwest of Boston, and in 1637, he was appointed by that town as its constable. In 1645, his name appears among a list of petitioners there, and in 1656, he again appears on a petition which deals with bridges in Concord. That same year, 1656, he became a juryman end in 1664 signed another petition." 
In E.H. Fletcher's book, Descendants of Robert Fletcher of Concord, Mass., five children are mentioned: William, Luke, Samuel, Francis and Cary. W. L. Holman's sister Mary shows that Cary's actual name was Grissell, and that she subsequently was married five times.
Several accounts list Margaret Hailston(e) as Robert's wife, but a woman of the same name appears in the Chelmsford records as the wife of Robert's son Samuel. 
Other names suggested as Robert's wife are Sarah and Rose, but no marriage record has been found.
Robert passed away on April 3, 1677. 
Robert Fletcher MP
- Birth: 1592
- Place of Birth: England
Son of unknown father of Robert Fletcher and unknown mother of Robert Fletcher Husband of Sarah Fletcher Father of: Grissell Kibby; Luke Fletcher; William Fletcher; Cary Fletcher; Francis Fletcher; and Sgt. Samuel Fletcher
- Immigration: about 1636; settled in Concord, Middlesex, Massachusetts 
- Death: April 3, 1677 (85)
- Place of Death: Concord, Middlesex , Massachusetts
- Place of Burial: Concord, Middlesex, Massachusetts, New England
Robert Fletcher was born in 1592 in Chelmsford, Essex, England. His parents may have been William FLETCHER and Ann FINNEY, but recent DNA puts this lineage in doubt and this Robert is probably not connected to the principal Fletcher family of Cockermouth Hall. (Actually, almost all linkages to gentry in my tree have turned out to be false. The vast majority of early immigrants were what we would call now middle class.)
He married Sarah HARTWELL (is this proven?) about 1612 in England. Robert died 3 Apr 1677 in Concord, Middlesex, Mass.
Parents unknown. Wife's name unknown, seen as Sarah.
Five children, all probably born in England:
Grissell b. c1618; Married 1) Thomas Jewell 2) Humphrey Griggs 3) John Gurney Francis b. c1620; Married Elizabeth Wheeler William b. c1622; Married Lydia Bates Luke b. c1625; Married Betsey Shattuck Samuel b. 1632 married Margaret Hailston DNA testing
As of Nov 2014: R-M269
Descendant test results do not match "any other Fletcher lineage" to date.
"The first of that name known to have come to this country was Robert Fletcher, who was born in Oxford, England, in 1592, as shown by the records of his death found in the Town Records of Concord, Mass. He settled in Concord, Mass., in 1630, being 38 years of age when he came to America. He brought with him his wife and two sons, named Luke and William, and a daughter named Carey, also a brother, William, who afterwards settled in Middletown, Conn.
Robert Fletcher was a wealthy and influential man. He died in Concord,Mass., April 3, 1677, aged 85 years. He had five children: Luke,William, Carey, Samuel and Francis."
Bates, Theodore C., Bates and Fletcher Genealogical Register, (1892) p. 47.
The family and biography of Robert Fletcher has been extensively researched by:
Winifred Lovering Holman, Robert Fletcher of Concord, Mass. Bay, 1637 (the author, 1930), accessed on FHL Microfilm 0,015,506 Item 11. Edward H. Fletcher, The Descendants of Robert Fletcher of Concord, Mass. (Boston, Mass.: Rand, Avery & Co., 1881). Joan S. Guilford, The Ancestry of Dr. J.P. Guilford (Sheridan Psychological Services, Inc., 1990), Volume 1, page 284. (One line) Dean Crawford Smith, The Ancestry of Eva Belle Kempton (1878-1908); Part IV: The Ancestry of Linda Anna Powers (1839-1879) (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2000) (One line). comments
From member Virginia Wilber, Oct 2014:
The Robert Fletcher who came to Concord in 1634 is not a descendant of William Fletcher. There was another Robert Fletcher who remained in England. I have been in contact with the manager of the Cockermouth Hall website as he is a descendant of the Robert who remained in England. I am enclosing a copy of the pertinent part of our email correspondence where he states the DNA results.
There are very many people tested for the DNA of descendants of Robert Fletcher of Concorde who all live in the USA, etc. The two principle people descended from Sir Henry Fletcher of Cockermouth who is also ancestor to the Robert Fletcher of Cumberland, are William Guy Fletcher (myself) and William LeRoy Fletcher of California. The test results proved that Robert Fletcher of Concorde is NOT the same person as Robert Fletcher of Cumberland. Sincerely, W. Guy Fletcher"
I would be happy to send anyone who wants it the entire email correspondence - including Guy's email address. I know this link is all over the internet and ancestry and LDS, but I am trying to correct this misconception as Robert Fletcher is an ancestor of mine, also. Truthfully, I'm sorry this link is not valid as I would, also, like to be descended from King Alfred.
Fletcher, Edward H. The Descendants of Robert Fletcher of Concord, Massachusetts. Boston: Rand, Avery & Co., 1881. (An expanded version of his 1871 edition); and Holman, Winifred Lovering. Descendants of Robert Fletcher: The First Six Generations. Unpublished manuscript in library of NEHGS, Boston. 1950. (A carefully researched genealogy which corrects much of EHF's 1881 book; for more details, see Fletcher Family Research Bulletin, Mar 1993.) Also see Jun 98; Jun 2000; Mar-Jun-Sep 2001.
- ↑ This date appears to have been calculated by assuming his age at death to be 85, since he claimed to be 80 when his will was written in 1672
- ↑ Fletcher Family History, the Descendants of Robert Fletcher of Concord, Mass.," by Edward H. Fletcher, p. 11: "ROBERT FLETCHER, the immigrant ancestor from whom are reckoned the generations recorded in the following pages, was born in 1592, as appears from the record of his death found upon the town records of Concord. Mass. The part of England whence he came has not been certainly ascertained".
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Holman, Winifred L., "Fletcher Lineage", 1928 manuscript complied for Henry Fletcher
- ↑ Fletcher, E. H., The Descendants of Robert Fletcher of Concord, Mass., Boston, 1881
- ↑ Vital Records of Massachusetts from 1620-1850, online database, http://ma-vitalrecords.org/MA/Middlesex/Chelmsford/Images/Chelmsford_M231.shtml
- ↑ Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records: Concord, p. 19
- ↑ From The Miner Report
- Massachusetts Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988
- "Ancestry of New England Families" Vol. 4. pp 276--279
- "Fletcher Genealogy" pp 9 10
- "The american Genealogist" vol. 10 pp 70 71
- "New. Eng. Hist. Gen. Register" vol. 22. p 389
- Descendants of Robert Fletcher
- Fletcher DNA Project Henry Fletcher of Cockermouth, Cumbria, England was the great-grandson of Simon, d. 1483; grandson of Richard; son of William (b. 1502 Cockermouth). Henry is an ancestor of William Fletcher of Saco, Maine, but it has been genetically proven that he is not an ancestor of Robert Fletcher of Concord, Massachusetts.
http://hippeesandeesrealm.com/hippee/genealogy/sureh/fletcher.htm http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ryder10&id=I19324 https://www.familytreedna.com/public/fletcher/default.aspx?section=results
- Added by: Robert Belden Fletcher on March 22, 2007, Added by: Robert Belden Fletcher on March 22, 2007, Curated by: Erica Isabel Howton, (c)
- WikiTree profile Fletcher-839 created through the import of Putnam2-1_2010-01-02_2011-02-16_2011-10-11.ged on Oct 12, 2011 by John Putnam.
- Paul Lee, firsthand knowledge. Click the Changes tab for the details of edits by Paul and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Robert's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Joseph St. Denis, Bill Meigs, Patricia Stenbak, Paul Lee, John Putnam, and David Fletcher. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On July 25, 2015 at 23:23GMT John Schmeeckle wrote:
On April 16, 2015 at 14:49GMT David Fletcher wrote:
On January 27, 2015 at 22:44GMT Virginia Wilber wrote:
Thanks for the merge. Grissell Carey (Fletcher) Jewell and Grissell (Kirby) Jewell are the same person.
Grissell used the name Carey in her younger years, then started using Grissell. Her marriage record can be found on Grissell Carey (Fletcher) Jewell (Fletcher-1263). Fletcher-1263 and Kirby-59 should be merged under Fletcher-1263.
Thanks again for the merge.... you seem to have to do them all - but it is appreciated!!
On January 26, 2015 at 21:06GMT David Fletcher wrote:
On January 26, 2015 at 05:41GMT Virginia Wilber wrote:
I've not heard of any other Robert Fletcher in Concord with this death date. There are quite a few areas to be worked out - wives and children to start.
This is the merge I meant to propose previously. Trying to finish stuff and it's too late at night - if that can be counted as an excuse.
On January 26, 2015 at 04:42GMT Virginia Wilber wrote:
On October 15, 2014 at 21:37GMT John Schmeeckle wrote:
On October 14, 2014 at 17:22GMT John Schmeeckle wrote:
It appears that, in addition to this genetic disproof, there is no evidence for Robert's parentage, so if nobody objects, I would like to detach his alleged parents and add links to them in a new "disputed parents" section of the profile.
On October 7, 2014 at 00:00GMT Bill Meigs wrote:
On October 6, 2014 at 23:55GMT Bill Meigs wrote:
Robert is 13 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 28 degrees from Gene Kelly, 18 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.