- Christopher Foster's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
b. c.1603 (age 32 in 1635)
____ and _____ ?
m. Frances (b. c.1610), dau. of Alice Stevens of Ewell Surrey. Issue:
- Rebecca (b. c.1635)
- Nathaniel (b. c.1633)
- John (b. c.1634)
- Ship: Abigail
- Date: Jul 1635
- 1638: Lynn
Pope, C.H. (2010). The Pioneers of Massachusetts: A Descriptive List, Drawn from Records of the Colonies, Towns, and Churches, and Other Contemporaneous Documents, (pp.172). Google Books.
Christopher Foster was born in the parish of Ewell, Surrey in 1603, I regret that there is no way of confirming this as the parish records (which we hold here), only start at 1604.
- However, I have checked the transcripts to these records for the period immediately after 1604 and again from 1624 to 1635 and have found the following entries:
- -1628 'Chrystopher ffoster and ffrancis Steven were maryed one the foure and twentye daye of December 1628.'
- -1630 'Rebecka foster the daughter of Christopher foster was baptized the vth daye of Marche.'
- -1632 'Nathaniel foster the sonne of Christopher foster was baptized the fourthe daye of Maye.'
- -1634 'Johanes filius Christopherij ffoster Baptizatus erat Ocatauo die Maij.'
- e-mail 30 Jan 2004 from Ruth Drysdale for County Archivist - Surrey History Centre
- Christopher Foster styled himself a husbandman on his shipping, embarked in London, June 17, 1635 in the "Abigail."
- "Abigail" 1635
- "In the Abigail prd. P. Cert. from the minister of their conformitie and from the Justices, that they are no susidy men.
- Christopher ffoster ae 32
- Bxor ffrancis ffost
- Rabecca ffoster ae 5
- Nathaniel ffostr ae 2
- Jo. Ffoster ae 1
- Alice Steevens 22
- Tho Steevens 12
- C. E. Banks in the book
- Planter of the Commonwealth," which traces 2,646 emigrants to America for whom there is a clear record says that Christopher Foster was a "husbandman [farmer] of Ewell, County Surrey," and that Alice Stevens was "probably sister of Mrs. Foster.". He adds the following about the "Abigail" on which others of the passengers were John Winthrop Jr. age 27 and his wife Elizabth and son Deane
- "Abigail of London, Richard Hackwell, Master. She listed passengers for New England from Jun 4 until July 24, and sailed from Plymouth as her last port of departure, about Aug. 1, with two hundred and twenty persons aboard, and many cattle. She arrived at Boston about Oct. 8, 1635, infected with smallpox. Among those coming in this ship, but not listed, were Sir Henry Vane, son and heir to Sir Henry Vane, Comptroller of the King's Household, traveling incognite, the Reverend Hugh Peter, pastor of the English Church at Rotterdam, and the Reverend John Wilson, who was returning to Boston, with his wife, her first appearance in New England. http://www.immigrantships.net/v2/1600v2/abigail16351008.html
- They were part of the Puritan migration and Hugh Peters, later Cromwell's chaplain, was on the same ship and helped form the church congregation to which Christopher belonged.
- Christopher Foster
- Birth: 1603 Ewell, Surrey
- Death: 24 Dec 1687 Southampton, Suffolk, New York
- Arrival: 1635 Boston, Massachusetts
- Marriage: 1628 England
- S1042585544 Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s: Gale Research: The Generations Network, Inc., 2009. Filby, P. William, ed.. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s. Farmington Hills, M
- S1042592454 U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900: Yates Publishing: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004.
- S1042602596 Heritage Consulting. The Millennium File. Salt Lake City, UT, USA: Heritage Consulting.Original data: Heritage Consulting. The Millennium File. Salt Lake City, UT
- S1042605149 Family Data Collection - Deaths: Edmund West. The Generations Network, Inc., 2001.
- span id='S683616678'>S683616678</span Family Data Collection - Births: Edmund West. The Generations Network, Inc., 2001.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Pope, 2010
- ↑ Frances: age 25 in 1635; Rebecca: age 5 in 1635; John: age 1 in 1635 (Pope, 2010)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 #S1042592454 Source: 1250.104 Family group sheet, FGSE, listed as parents; Note: Birth 1603 Marriage: 1628; #S1042585544 Boston; Year: 1635; Page: 165. Note:Birth date: abt 1603 Arrival: 1635 Boston; [#S1042602596]] Note: Birth: 1603 England. Death: 1687 Southampton, L. I., New York; #S683616678 Note: Birth: 1603 Ewell, Surrey; #S1042605149 Note: Death: 1687 Southampton, Li, NY; #S1042585544 Massachusetts; Year: 1635; Page: 172. Note: Birth 1603 Arrival: 1635 Massachusetts
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Christopher's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Michael McCook, X Gorby, and Jonathan Watson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On August 27, 2014 at 14:07GMT Nan Lambert wrote: