- Ellen (Galloway) de Quincy's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- Her birth date is listed as 1196, abt 1200, and 1208 in various sources. Her mother was born in 1174. Elen was living 21 Nov 1245. 
- Buried at Brackley,  before12 June 1250 [date of Roger's second marriage].
(Royal Ancestry) (Roger's) wife, Ellen was living 21 Nov, 1245. She was buried at Brackley, Northamptonshire.
The name of her burial church is Church of St. Peter with St. James in Brackley, an ancient, still active parish church.
Helen (also known as Ela or Elena) had two half-sisters and co-heiresses, Devorguilla (or 'Derborgaill', mother of King John of Scotland), and Christina (or 'Cairistiona'). Helen, eldest daughter and co-heiress of Alan, Lord of Galloway. Countess of Winchester. Without legitimate sons to succeed him, Alan's lands and dignities were divided between the husbands of his three daughters, so Roger acquired Alan's position as Constable of Scotland, and one-third of the lordship of Galloway (although the actual title of Lord of Galloway went through Helen's half-sister Devorguilla to her husband John I de Balliol).
The three daughters of Roger and Helen of Galloway were:
Helen (also known as Ela or Elena), who married Alan Baron Zouche of Ashby;
Elizabeth (also known as Isabella) married Alexander Comyn, 2nd Earl of Buchan;
Margaret married William de Ferrers, 5th Earl of Derby (and was thus stepmother to her own stepmother).
- Royal Ancestry 2013 Vol. IV p. 446-449
- See also:
- Medieval Lands, database online, (accessed 31 March 2015), Charles Cawley and Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Alan of Galloway 1. Ellen
- Frederick Lewis Weis, Th. D. Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, The Fourth Edition (With Additions and Corrections By Walter Lee Sheppard, Jr., M. S.; 1971
- Some Descendants of Charlemagne,
- Magna Carta Ancestry, Vol. III, page 412, QUINCY 2, Volume 1, page 412. CHARLTON 2.
- Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, (2011), Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, Royal Ancestry series, 2nd edition, 4 vols., ed. Kimball G. Everingham, (Salt Lake City, Utah: the author, 2011), volume III, page 412 #2
|European Aristocrats Source|
|Our main source for medieval genealogy in the European Aristocrats Project is the FMG database MEDIEVAL LANDS: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families by Charles Cawley,© Charles Cawley & Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, 2000-2016.|
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Ellen's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Allan Stuart, Bob Fields, David Robinson, Beverley Scott, Ted Williams, Ellen Blackwell, and Wendy Hampton. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 20 Jan 2016 at 03:17 GMT David Robinson wrote:
Ellen is 23 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 26 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 24 degrees from Michael Phelps, 28 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 20 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.