- Morgan Gamage's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Bio to be Edited.
Note: Sources conflict on the given name of his wife (Elinor Vaughan currently in WikiTree):
- Bartrum, which names her Margaret (see Bartrum: Drymbenog 2(C1) and Gamage 1). Richardson names her Eleanor, "daughter of Roger Vaughan of Tretower, Breconshire, Wales" (see Richardson's Plantagenet Ancestry, p 135; also Eleanor in Richardson's Royal Ancestry (2013)). One site names her Elinor 'Margred'. Dictiontionary of Welsh Biography names her Eleanor: "John Gamage 's son, MORGAN, m. Eleanor, daughter of Sir Roger Vaughan of Tretower" (#DWB).
Also, WikiTree has her mother as Margaret Tuchet (Roger's second wife), which is not supported by sources. Richardson does not name her mother, but she is shown as the daughter of Roger's first wife, Denise, by Bartrum (Drymbenog 2(C1)), Lewis (Eleanor Vaughan), and the Dictionary of Welsh Biography (VAUGHAN family, of Tretower Court).
The dates for Roger's marriages and his children's birth years as currently shown in WikiTree are incompatible with Denise being her mother. More research is needed.
Morgan Gamage was the son of John Gamage and his first wife Margred, daughter of Morgan of Radur and Efa ferch Ieuan Gethin.
- Elsbeth, m (1) Jenkin ap John [Stradling (1)] (2) John Gwyn ap Rhys [Ein ap G. (F4)]
- Gwenllian, m Tos. ap Meurig Fn [Iestyn 4(C)]
- Margred, m (1) Jenkin Thomas [Godwin 9(D)] (2) James ap Tos. [Turberville (2B)]
- Annes, m Robert ap Wm Raglan [Godwin 9(C)]
- Catrin, m Rheinallt Powel [Godwin 6(B)]
- Jane, m William ap Thomas [Bawdrep]
- Sir Thomas Gamage ([Gamage 2]), married (1) Margred f. Sir John St. John ([St. John (1)]), (2) Joyce f. Sir Richard Croft, (mistress) daughter of Richard Spernell
"The Gamages were of Roggiet, and became lords of Coety in Newcastle Hundred, in Glamorgan, in 1414, by inheritance from the Turbervilles. St. Michael [is?] Llanfihangel Roggiet; Roggiet is nearby; Nanvacherys is probably Llanvaches, which was held at the survey of Wentwood in 1271 by John Martell, whose dau. and heiress m. Robert de Gamage (Hist.MON, IV, 185)."
Morgan Gamage was living in 1488.
- ↑ Janet Ariciu's page on Morgan
- ↑ #Bartrum
- ↑ Bartrum: Gamage (1)
- ↑ see also Drymbenog 2(C1) for Sir Roger Vaughan
- ↑ see also John Burke, A genealogical and heraldic history of the commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, p 654
- ↑ William Raglan had 8 children by Elizabeth. The eldest, "Robert Raglan of Trevychan, esq., ... inherited Trevychan from his father. He married Ann Gamage who was the daughter of Morgan Gamage of Coyty, co. Glamorgan, esq., and by her had a daughter [Elizabeth], only daughter and sole heir [who] married Edward Stradling, esq., third son of Sir..." (Google books snippit of page 41, Volume 1, The Raglands: The History of a British-American Family, by Charles J. Ragland)
- ↑ William Bawdrip m "Jane (W), d. of Morgan Gamage of Coity, co. Glamorgan" (see his profile for source citation)
- ↑ Google book snippit, p 21, The Publications of the Harleian Society, Volume 14 (1996)
- ↑ Dictionary of Welsh Biography (DWB): "[http://wbo.llgc.org.uk/en/s1-GAMA-GEC-1176.html GAMAGE family, of Coety ('Coity'), Glam." by Evan David Jones, F.S.A., (1903-87), Aberystwyth
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Morgan's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Morgan is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 22 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 47 degrees from Lisa Kudrow, 27 degrees from Kurt Vonnegut and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.