- Susannah (Gates) Maxey's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Susannah Gates was born about 1647
Died May 31, 1743 in Goochland, Virginia, USA
NOTE: Gates is not the proven name of Susannah - it has been suggested it could be Gaites, or could be something entirely different. Some facts that may support Susannah's maiden name being Gates: One of the witnesses to Susannah Maxey's will was James Gates, probably the son of John Gates, both of whom were mentioned in a court petition of William Bradshaw directed to Susannah's son, Edward Maxey, Jr., in 1724. This link between the Gates and Maxey families gives credence to the claim of some genealogists that Susannah's maiden name was Gates.
- Sources: Henrico Co.,Va.,Minute Bk. 1719-24,p.335 and Clark, op.cit., p.1.
There is no proof as to who her parents were, that has been found. There are many trees that have a John Gates as her father, but offer no sources or proof to that contention. On the hypothesis that John Gates is Susannah's father and Susannah Busby her mother, they will remain on this profile as such until proof is brought forward claiming otherwise.
Relationship to Sir Thomas Gates
There are also trees that say she is the grand-daughter of Sir Thomas Gates the early Governor of Virginia. That has been proven to be not true. Sir Thomas Gates had one son Stephen, who was left in England when Sir Thomas and his wife traveled to Virginia. His wife was one of many that died en-route to Virginia. He never married again and left to go back to England in 1614 and never returned. He died in 1622 in the Netherlands.
Thomas Gates of "The Swan"
Another Thomas gate arrived in Jamestown on the Swan in 1610. He married Elizabeth and some tree's have these 2 as the grandparents of Susannah. Thomas and Elizabeth are listed on the 1624 tax roll. I emailed the Jamestown Society and asked why they were not on their head of household list. I got back an email that said that there was no record in the Jamestown records, of any children born to this couple. And no-one who claims to be descended from them can provide proof.
- Her surname is proven by lawsuit brought by Mary and her husband, Edward, to obtain custody and guardianship of her nephews when her brother suddenly passed away.
- Book, pg. 335, 6 April 1724: William Bradshaw by petition sets forth that John Gates bequeathed the care of his two sons William and James to Charles Snugs, who did appoint the petitioner his sole executor and residuary legatee. Edward Maxey, Jr. hath seduced from him the said children, and praying they be ordered to return to him. Court says he has no right to guardianship of the said children. Church wardens of Henrico Parish bind out William and James Gates, sons of John Gates, dec'd.
Will of Susannah Maxey
This will made in the year of our Lord God one thousand seven hundred and forty-three in the sixteenth year of the reign of our most Sovereign Lord King George by the grace of God King of Great Britain France and Ireland, Defender of the faith. In the name of God Amen I Susannah Maxey being very sick and weak of body though of perfect sense and memory, God be praised for it, I do willing and heartily give and ... my soul to God who gave it me and whom I hope will receive it and my body to the earth from whence it came there to be decently buried at the desecration of my executors.
- ITEM, I give to my son John Maxey one pound one shilling and six pace and half a dozen pewter plates.
- ITEM, I give to my son William Maxey one pound one shilling and six pence and half a dozen pewter plates.
- ITEM, I give to my son Nathaniel Maxey one feather bed and furniture.
- ITEM, I give to my daughter Elizabeth Radford my trunk and all my wearing clothes.
- ITEM, I give to my granddaughter Susannah Epperson my sidesaddle.
- ITEM, I give to my son Walter Maxey my other feather bed and furniture and two dishes.
- ITEM, I give to my grandson James Barns one heifer of two years old.
- ITEM, I give to my grandson Charles Maxey one young mare of one year old.
- ITEM, I give to my son Silvanus all the remainder of my estate and I desire that my estate should not be appraised.
- And I do appoint and constitute Silvanus Maxey to be my sole executor of this my last will and testament in witness whereunto I set my had and seal this 31 day of May 1743. Susannah X Maxey her mark, James Cates, Thomas Spraggin, Eleanor O Coyel.
- At a court held for Goochland County September 20, 1743 James Gates and Thomas Spraggin proved this writing to be the last will and testament of Susannah Maxey which was ordered to be recorded.
- Betty McAndrews wrote, "What Susannah lacked in spelling, she made up for in clarity.
- A portion of her will [with original spelling] follows:
- "This Will made in the year of our Lord God one thousand seven hundred and forty three in the Sixtenth yeare of the Raine of our moste Souvrane Lord King Geore by the Grase of God King of Great Bretain France and Ireland Defender of the faethe. In the name of God Amen I Susannah Maxey being very sick and week of Body tho of parfick sense and memarey God be prased for it I doo willing and heartily Give and queue my Sole to God hoo gave it too me and hoom I hope will recive it and my Body to the Earth from whense it Came there to be Desently Buried at the Descretion of my Executors."
- She gave several items to her children and grandchildren, "Grandatter Susanah Epperson" got her Side Saddel. Silvanus was the Sole Executor for her will dated May 31, 1743 in Goochland County, Virginia.
Colonial Wills of Henrico County, Virginia, Part Two, 1737-1781, by Benjamin B. Weisiger III (pg.133)
- Goochland Co VA Deeds & Wills, Bk. 4, pp.212-13
- The Maxey's of Virginia, by Edythe Maxey Clark, A Genealogical History of the Descendants of Edward and Susannah Maxey. --------------------
- Susannah's will is in Goochland County, will book 4/212-213. Her will is dated 31 day of May 1743. It was recorded September 20, 1743.
Ancestry Family Trees Title: Ancestry Family Trees (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.) Subsequent Source Citation Format: Ancestry Family Trees BIBL Ancestry Family Trees. Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com.
- Wikipedia article on Gov Thomas Gates.
- Encyclopedia Virginia McCartney, M., Sir Thomas Gates (d. 1622). (2012, September 20).
- Personal Correspondence of Kari Lemons
Thanks to Cheryl Caudill for starting this profile
- Thank you to Kari Lemons for creating WikiTree profile Gates-Maxey-1 through the import of maxeyfamily.ged on Jun 26, 2013.
- Thank you to Stephanie Sanchez Gaites Gates-1 on 17 Jul 13.
- This profile developed through the merging of Gates-1405 and Gates-624 into Gates-187.
Searching for someone else?
- Susannah Gates
- Susannah Gates
- Susannah (Gates) Pidgeon
- Susannah Gates
- Susannah (Maxey) Barnes
- Susannah (Maxey) Sullivan
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Susannah by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Susannah:
- Donna Bowling - 23andMe
GEDMatch ID M606750
- Donna Bowling - AncestryDNA
GEDMatch ID A577926
Ancestry.com member ancestry_donna
- Steven Kensil - AncestryDNA
GEDMatch ID A884726
- Iris (Bowling) Hundley - Family Tree DNA Family Finder
GEDMatch ID F443814
Family Tree DNA kit 443814
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: John Beeson, Katherine Patterson, Cheryl Caudill, Kari Lemons, James Cotter, Teresa Davis, Vicki Gann, and Emily Freeman. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On February 8, 2015 at 23:37GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On July 17, 2014 at 02:41GMT Cheryl Caudill wrote:
Susannah is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 19 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 21 degrees from Mark Hamill, 17 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.