|This person is an Acadian.|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Acadians Project!
Around 1633, Marie Gaudet was born to parents Jean Gaudet and an unknown mother.
Around 1650, Marie married Etienne Hébert, brother of Antoine. Between 1651 and 1670 Marie gave birth to 10 children: Marie, Maguerite, Emmanuel, Etienne, Jean, Françoise, Catherine, Martine, Michel, and Antoine. According to depositions from their descendents, Marie came to France with her husband.
When Etienne died between 1669 and 1671, Marie married Dominique Gareau, Royal Sargeant, around 1676. They had one child Marie around 1677.
Marie died at Port Royal on July 30 1710.
DNA. The Mothers of Acadia Maternal DNA project is conducting ongoing research to verify their origins. In 2010, Stephen White reported Marie Gaudet had a J1b2 haplogroup. I don't know the details re how many of her descendants were tested to support this report. Ongoing test results are also reported here. As of May 2014, 9 descendants have consistently reported a J haplogroup, as have 10 descendants of her sister Francoise Gaudet. J haplogroups indicate European origins.
- 1671 Acadian Census at Port Royal: Marie GAUDET, Widow of Etienne HEBERT, 38, Children (married): Marie 20, Marguerite 19; (not married): Emmanuel 17, Etienne 17, Jean 13, Francoise 10, Catherine 9, Martine 6, Michel 5, Antoine 1; cattle 4, sheep 5.
- 1686 Acadian Census at Port Royal: Dominique GARAULT 60, Marie GODET; children of Marie (and Emanuel HEBERT): Michel 20, Antoine 16; and Elarie Garault 9; 3 arpents, 4 sheep, 3 hogs.
- 1698 Acadian census at Port Royal: Marie GODET widow 60.
- PARENTS-MARRIAGE: Janet B. Jehn, CORRECTIONS & ADDITIONS TO ARSENAULT'S HISTOIRE ET GENEALOGIE DES ACADIENS; 1630-1830; by author, 863 Wayman Branch Road, Covington, KY 41015, 1988; p . 10 (reference to Arsenault's p. 600). "Antoine Hebert and Etienne HEBERT were not the sons of Jacques and of Marie JUNEAU (ref. Stephen A. White, Centre d'Etudes Acadiennes). Etienne's wife Marie GODET was daughter of Jean and his second wife, Nicole COLESON, and not of first marriage. Pp. 554 and 555.
Marie Gaudet (b. Abt. 1630, d. 30 Jul 1710) Marie Gaudet (daughter of Jean Gaudet and Unknown) was born Abt. 1630 in France, and died 30 Jul 1710 in Port Royal, Acadia. .She married (1) Étienne Hebert on Abt. 1648 in France, son of PERE Hebert.
She married (2) Dominique Garaut on Abt. 1676 in Port Royal, Acadia. In 1671 census, she was a 38 year old widow who was preparing to care for her 10 orphaned children.
- White, Stephen A., Patrice Gallant, and Hector-J Hébert. Dictionnaire Généalogique Des Familles Acadiennes. Moncton, N.-B.: Centre D'études Acadiennes, Université De Moncton, 1999, Print, p667.
Burial: 30 Jul 1710 Port Royal, , Acadia Note: BIRTH-FATHER-MARRIAGES-CHILDREN-BURIAL: Stephen A. White, DICTIONNAIRE GENEALOGIQUE DES FAMILLES ACADIENNES; 1636-1714; Moncton, New Brunswick, Centre d'Etudes Acadiennes, 1999, 2 vols.; p. 800. CHILDREN: "Progenitors--Those Most Misunderstood," ACADIAN GENEALOGY EXCHANGE, vol. XXIII, no. 4 (Oct 1994), p. 118. Under GODET/GAUDET. "Marie Anne GAUDET, wife of Etienne HEBERT, was the daughter of Jean GAUDET and his first wife, name unknown, not Nicole COLESON." These facts "have been verified by the Centre [d'Etudes Acadiennes] as accurate." NAME: Sometimes GODET.
CENSUS: 1671, Port Royal, Acadia.. Not living with her parents and 18-year-old brother Jehan, listed as widow of Estienne HEBERT, age 38 [so born 1633] with 10 children, 2 of them married. Her worked land is 3 arpents, with 4 cattle and 5 sheep. Living next door to daughter Marie, 20 and son-in-law Michel De FOREST.
CENSUS: 1686, Port Royal, Acadia., age 60 [born 1626?]. Age probably wrong, since youngest child at home is 9 [really 53?]. Name is spelled GODET. She is living next door to her oldest child Marie HEBERT's 6 children, living with her remarried son-in-law and his 13-year-old bride.
CENSUS: 1698, age 60 years (sic). DEATH: Marie Anne GAUDET, daughter of Jean & Nicole COLESON [sic], born 1633 in Martaize, France, married Etienne HEBERT 1650 in Port Royal, Acadia.. She died 30 Jul 1710 at Port Royal. Marriage 1 Etienne HEBERT b: ABT 1625 in , , , France Married: ABT 1650 in Port Royal, , Acadia Marriage 2 Dominique GAREAU b: ABT 1626 in , , , France Married: ABT 1676 in Port Royal, , Acadia More About Marie Gaudet: 1671 AcadianCensus: 1671, Port Royal; listed as widow of Estienne HEBERT, age 38 [so born 1633] with 10 children, 2 of them married. Her worked land is 3 arpents,4 cattle and 5 sheep. Living next door to daughter Marie, 20 and son-in-law Michel De FOREST.. 1686 Acadian Census: 1686, Port Royal; age 60;Name is spelled GODET. She is living next door to her oldest child Marie HEBERT's 6 children, living with her remarried son-in-law and his 13-year-old bride.. Burial: 30 Jul 1710, Port Royal, , Acadia.3581 Category: Original Acadian Settler. Died 2: 30 Jul 17103582 Direct Line: Clebert, Esmé, Oscar, Rosalie. More About Marie Gaudet and Étienne Hebert: Marriage: Abt. 1648, France.3583, 3584 More About Marie Gaudet and Dominique Garaut: Marriage: Abt. 1676, Port Royal, Acadia..3585, 3586 Children of Marie Gaudet and Étienne Hebert are:
+Marie Hebert, b. Abt. 1651, Port Royal, Acadia.3587, d. Bet. 1677 - 1678, PortRoyal, Acadia3588, 3589. +Emmanuel Hebert, b. Abt. 1653, Port Royal, Acadia.3590, 3591, 3592, d. 30 Nov 1744, Grand Pré, Canada3593, 3594. +Etienne Hebert, b. 1654, Port Royal, Acadia, N.S., CA3595, d. 02 Nov 1713, St. Chas. de Mines, Ac.3595. +Françoise Hebert, b. Abt. 16613596, d. 17 Feb 1713, PortRoyal, Acadia at approx. 50 years old3597, 3598. +Catherine Hebert, b. Abt. 1662, Port Royal3599, d. 03 Aug 1727, Louisbourg, Cape Breton3600, 3601.
Children of Marie Gaudet and Dominique Garaut are:
+Marie Garaut, b. Abt. 1677, Port Royal, Acadia.3602, d. Aft. 1755, Virginia36 />
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Marie by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Marie:
- R Duhon : 23andMe, GEDMatch M134712
- Gérard Arsenault : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A418688
- Thérese Gaudet : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A354105
- Irma Gaudet : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A332931
- William Bergeron : AncestryDNA, Ancestry member phattwm
- Phil Masse : AncestryDNA, Ancestry member oldrunner37
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Joe Sneed, Roland Arsenault, Antoinia Breau, Vincent Courtney, Jamie Swindells, and Daniel Adamczyk. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On May 20, 2016 at 01:40GMT Vincent Courtney wrote:
On May 19, 2016 at 20:04GMT Jacqueline Girouard wrote:
On July 5, 2015 at 23:12GMT Jacqueline Girouard wrote:
On June 2, 2015 at 15:09GMT Jacqueline Girouard wrote:
On February 20, 2015 at 01:32GMT Jacqueline Girouard wrote:
"Etienne's wife Marie GODET was daughter of Jean and his second wife, Nicole COLESON, and not of first marriage. Pp. 554 and 555."
On February 4, 2015 at 20:23GMT Donna Storz wrote:
On February 4, 2015 at 20:20GMT Donna Storz wrote:
Marie is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 45 degrees from Anne Frank, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.