- Richard Gilbert's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Please note: There is no reference in the cited article to Richard's father by any name.
Richard was born say 1550. He m. at Yardley, co. Worcester, England on 25 June 1575 Margery Morken. Margery’s parentage is unknown. A Richard Gilbert was buried at Yardley 8 Apr 1626. This date is used as his.
The family lived in Yardley.
Children of Richard in the Yardley parish records.
- Elizabeth bp 8 apr 1576; prob. m. Yardley 16 april 1605 Thomas Marshe
- Parnell bp 15 June 1578
- Margaret bp 7 Oct 1580; m at Yardley 2 Nov 1603 John Merston
- Richard bp 1 Jan 1585/6 bur Yardley 18 Jan 1855/6
- Thomas bp 25 April 1589; m Elizabeth Bennett
- Richardson, Douglas, MA. “The English Origin of Thomas Gilbert of Braintree, Mass., and Wethersfield, Conn.” The American Genealogist. Vol 67 p 161-. Jul 1992.
- The discovery of this family was done by Douglas Richardson and the details published in The American Genealogist. No information on the parents of Richard Gilbert has been found.
The parents of Margery Morken are also unknown. There are no other Morken entries in the Yardley parish registers, none in the Worcester probate index and none in the 1603 subsidy rolls for northern Worcestershire (John Amphlett, Lay Subsidy Roll A.D. 1603 for the County of Worcester[Oxford 1901]). Further search for Margery should center on nearby parishes across the border in Warwickshire or Staffordshire. Following their marriage, Richard and Margery lived in Yardley, where a Richard Gilbert was buried on 8 April 1626. There is no burial in Yardley for Margery under the Gilbert surname, nor have probate records in the Consistory Court of Worcester or the Prerogative Court of Canterbury been found for either of them. http://otal.umd.edu/~walt/gen/htmfile/2048.htm
Thank you to everyone who contributed gedcoms to create the several persons who were merged together to create this profile.
Click the changes tab, to see the changes
USE WITH CAUTION NOT THROUGHLY RESEARCHED'
by Garry Bryant
Richard Gilbert (d. 1626)
The Gilbert family has it’s origins in Worcester County, England, in the parish of Yardley where the marriage register reads:
“25 June 1575 Richard Gylberde and Margary Morken.”
Richard Gilbert was buried on 8 April 1626, at Yardley. Richard and Margary (Morken) Gilbert had five children according to Yardley Parish records. CHILDREN
1. Elizabeth Gilbert - Baptized 8 April 1576. Married on 16 April 1605, to Thomas Marshe. 2. Parnell Gilbert - Baptized 15 June 1578 (a daughter). 3. Margarett Gilbert - Baptized 7 October 1580. Married to John Merston on 2 November 1603. 4. Richard Gilbert - Baptized 1 January 1585/1586. Died: 18 January 1585/1586. 5. Thomas Gilbert - Baptized 25 April 1589. Married to Elizabeth Bennett on 29 August 1610. Died in 1659.
1 Homer W. Brainard, Harold S. Gilbert and Clarence A. Torrey, The Gilbert Family. Descendants of Thomas Gilbert, 1582 (?)-1659, of Mt. Wollaston (Braintree), Windsor, and Wethersfield. (New Haven, Connecticut: 1953. (FHL-USA/CAN 929.273 G3776.) (NOTE -All data from this source except where noted.)
2 Gary Boyd Roberts (compiler), Genealogies of Connecticut Families. Volume II, Geer-Owen. (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1983) Pp. 2-25. (FHL-USA/CAN 974.6 D2g v. 2.)
3 Arthur A. Gilbert, D.D.S., compiler, The Gilberts Of Belpre, Ohio, Their Ancestors and Descendants. (Chicago, ILL.: Privately prented, August, 1935. (FORT WAYNE LIBRARY, Fort Wayne, IN.)
American Genealogist Volume 67, #3, July 1992, by Douglas Richardson,M.A.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Richard's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Lori Jo DeWitt, and John Putnam. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On April 23, 2016 at 13:53GMT Mary Landers wrote:
On April 23, 2016 at 10:53GMT Lori Jo DeWitt wrote:
On April 22, 2016 at 17:38GMT Chris Gilbert wrote:
On April 20, 2016 at 21:06GMT Chris Gilbert wrote:
On July 9, 2014 at 00:15GMT Anne B wrote:
Richard is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 27 degrees from Gene Kelly, 15 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.