Since WikiTree's community is unique, we've made up some of our own terminology. Here's a dictionary of terms and abbreviations.
If there is something else you would like defined please ask about it in G2G.
- Active WikiTreer: A user of this website. They are distinct from passive people whose information was entered entirely by others.
- Activity Feeds: A detailed list of changes.
- Categorization: A dynamic way to group profiles in order to organize your family history and connect with other genealogists whose family histories intersect with yours.
- Colloquial Name: The way we display a person's name in most circumstances. It combines the Preferred First Name and the Current Last Name.
- G2G: The Genealogist-to-Genealogist question and answer forum.
- Nuclear Family: Parents, siblings, spouse, and children.
- Passive Profile: A profile that was created by someone else. These are often profiles of long-dead ancestors and historical figures.
- Person Profile: The basic WikiTree page about a human being. It's the central location for information about the person.
- PM: Profile Manager.
- Profile Manager: The person who has primary responsibility for taking care of a profile. It is usually the person who created the profile, or the person themselves if it is a profile of a living person.
- Trusted List: WikiTree's unique system for protecting privacy and controlling permissions on individual profile pages.
- Watchlist: The list of profiles you are watching through your Family Activity Feed. It's the inverse of your Trusted List.
- Wiki: The software run by WikiTree that enables users to easily create and update pages and track changes by others.
- Wiki Mark-Up: Sometimes called wiki codes, these are the tags that are used to format a profile.
This page was last modified 14:34, 21 May 2015. This page has been accessed 3,138 times.