Categories: WikiTree Help
Since WikiTree is unique, we've made up some of our own terminology. Here's a dictionary.
If there is something else you would like defined please e-mail the webmaster, Chris Whitten, at chris (at) wikitree.com.
- Categorization: A dynamic way to group profiles in order to organize your family history and connect with other genealogists whose family histories intersect with yours.
- Colloquial Name: The way we display a person's name in most circumstances. It combines the Preferred First Name and the Current Last Name.
- G2G: The Genealogist-to-Genealogist question and answer forum.
- Nuclear Family: Parents, siblings, spouse, and children.
- Passive Profile: A profile that was created by someone else. These are often profiles of long-dead ancestors and historical figures.
- Person Profile: The basic WikiTree page about a human being. It's the central location for information about the person.
- Profile Manager: The person who has primary responsibility for taking care of a profile. It is usually the person who created the profile, or the person themselves if it is a profile of a living person.
- Trusted List: WikiTree's unique system for protecting privacy and controlling permissions on individual profile pages.
- Wiki: The software run by WikiTree that enables users to easily create and update pages and track changes by others.
This page was last modified 18:37, 5 February 2013. This page has been accessed 2,163 times.